Hawke Bay - Is it a nice place?

Wikiposts

Hawke Bay - Is it a nice place?

Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:55 am
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hawke Bay - Is it a nice place?

Hi all

My husband sent sent off his CV to companies in New Zealand and has got a positive reply from a company in Hawke Bay. Does anyone know what Napier is like? Is it a nice place to live? Are there any bad areas of Napier? Is there much for children? This is one area I've not looked into much but from what I've seen it looks nice.

Thanks Kara
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the place personally. High sunshine rates, relaxed atmosphere. Many tourists visit Naiper to view the Art Deco buildings.. Some people tend to label the place as a bit isolated, but it depends on what you want. My advice is, if you have a young family, I could think of far worse places to end up.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

It is indeed a beautiful part of the country - warmest climate in NZ & renowned for its many vineyards. Napier was completely destroyed by an earthquake in 1932 and was rebuilt in the art deco style. It is the largest art deco town in the world & many of the buildings are still there today. Some fantastic beaches as well - when I arrived in NZ I spent the first week in Hastings/Napier (staying with a friends family). The day after arriving we went to Ocean Beach which was totally deserted - only three people including ourselves on the beach.

Its only downside is its remoteness - about a 6hr drive from Auckland. But that may not be a bad thing if you want a quiet, relaxed pace of life.

russ
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:19 pm
New Zealand Bound

rickandkara is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the above.

What we are looking for is quality family life, we currently live in Manchester and we want to get away from the city life. After saying that I still want to feel part of a community.
My husband will not have a problem getting a job, my biggest concern is a job for myself. I will most probably have to change career because currently I'm a marketing analyst. I just hope there is something there for me.