Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

having a wobbly day....

having a wobbly day....

Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Default having a wobbly day....

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a wobble about the whole move to Australia. I feel really tearful today for some reason. I feel really bad about taking our children away fom their grandparents and everything they know - although our 11 year old is really excited about going to Australia (and our other one is only 2 so he doesn't really have an opinion). we have our house on the market but thats not the problem as we would want to move anyway - we live in a very small village. I have no friends here (due to a falling out I had with 2 of the people i thought were my friends when they told me how much they disliked my daughter - who is 11 and accused her of stealing - anyway thats another story).

We have looked at other places in the UK to move too - I am from Scotland, but hubby not keen too move up there. I just feel as though we are living in a kind of limbo land.

Is this normal to feel like this? I know they say it is like an emotional rollercoaster but I never thought it would be this bad.

Any advice/hints/suggestions gratefully received. (even a virtual slap if you think that would help)

Thanks for looking,
Karen
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

BertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond reputeBertieB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: having a wobbly day....

Hang on in there Karen - I think we all go through feeling like this at some stage along the way. Just think about your reasons for wanting to do this in the first place - chin up.

Ann
Old Feb 5th 2007, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karen,

Tearful days are quite normal, even I had them just before we left and I couldn't wait to get here.

It's all the ups and downs that go with migrating, the waiting around for something to happen, then when something does you get all giddy only to have to wait again for the next part.

Just try to keep yourself busy and remember we (most of us) know what you are going through
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

My husband has gone from 'get the visa application in we're going' to 'only if my office offers me a job there or I get offered something fantastic'. So now after I've done tons of research, got myself all excited (I'm practically there in my head), I've been told to calm myself down about the whole thing and if it happens, it happens.

I'm not just wobbly, I'm dismal. So here's your virtual slap - think (slap) yourself (slap) lucky (slap). And here's your hug.

It won't be long now.

Cheryl
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi Karen yeah an emotional rollercoaster sums it up. It is common for folk to feel like this. When you think about it, it is a huge decision BUT you need to remember why you wanted to do this in the first place. We are hopefully in the final stages ( awaiting our visa ) and I have recently began wakening in the early hours of the morning in a panic and thinking what am I doing.
This site is so helpful and I think allows you to be reassured that you are not alone. Hang in there.
Where in Scotland are you from? We are in Montrose, Northeast.

Donna & Neil
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

I had this last week - no idea why it suddenly came up like it did

Anyway - i'm all better now but I suspect there will be other days like it over the next few weeks.

Chin up
Old Feb 5th 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of

Hi all

I too have been wondering what the hell am I doing uprooting everyone and everything and thats after just coming back from validating reccie 2 weeks ago. Now it just feels so full on to get everything sorted and usually not much phases me. Very odd to feel so low and strange about something that
is such an adventure.

best of luck

Mick
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:10 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I was having a bad day on Saturday and it was only when I went through our TRA stuff, visa application and all the paperwork we have had to do just to get where we are, that I really remembered what we had been through and how far we had come.

And it only seems like yesterday that we hadnt even got our employer statements and it was looking unlikely that we would go at all.

Brought it all back to me and how much we want it, it is easy to lose sight of the target and get sidetracked by other emotions.

I know how you feel and it does get better.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:29 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

oh karen, i really do feel for you. i had this wobble a couple of weeks ago and the peeps on here gave me lots of hugs ( you know who you are ). as a parent aswell i know where you're coming from, i think that you just want them to be happy and not to unsettled so having doubts is completely the norm. like others have said just keep reminding yourself why you're doing this.

tracey x
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks,

To everyone who replied. It is good to know that everyone feels like I do at some stage in the process. It takes so long and I suppose the waiting does get a bit much at times.

Take care everyone, Karen
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by StevenChez
My husband has gone from 'get the visa application in we're going' to 'only if my office offers me a job there or I get offered something fantastic'. So now after I've done tons of research, got myself all excited (I'm practically there in my head), I've been told to calm myself down about the whole thing and if it happens, it happens.

I'm not just wobbly, I'm dismal. So here's your virtual slap - think (slap) yourself (slap) lucky (slap). And here's your hug.

It won't be long now.

Cheryl
Thank you for the slap Cheryl and don't give up hope - you may still get there. Your husband may be offered the job of his dreams yet.

Karen
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by StevenChez
Cheryl
Ask him if he's thinking about what you/the kids want/what is best for you and them as well as what he wants/what is best for you,him, the kids !

Andy
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:45 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parentsof2
Thanks,

To everyone who replied. It is good to know that everyone feels like I do at some stage in the process. It takes so long and I suppose the waiting does get a bit much at times.

Take care everyone, Karen

We start the first leg of our actual emigration on Monday....still the odd wobble. It happens all the time......right up to the last minute. Just be thankful you have the opportunity to maybe try a different life...others aren't as lucky!

Big smiles to you....been there and will be there again!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:51 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I have wobbles on a daily basis and im still not sure if i have the bottle to got through with all this when it comes to the crunch
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

My wobbles have just got 10 times worse...My gran has been taken to hospital after having a heart attack. Just waiting to hear if I have to go up to glasgow tomorrow. I suppose it could be worse at least we are not in australia yet.

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.