Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

having second thoughts

having second thoughts

Old May 3rd 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Loiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant future
Default having second thoughts

Hubby and I are having second thoughts about moving to Brisbane because of the water shortage. Our dream could easily become a nightmare as we find ourselves washing our smalls out in the sink and having one shower a week. Apparently you are supposed to just use 140 litres a day and a washing mashine uses 200!
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice
Default Re: having second thoughts

I don't mean to be rude but wheer did you get these figure from, your washing machine either be faulty or be industrial sized if it uses 200 litres of water per wash.

I have a Zanusi washing machine and it only uses 90 litres oer wash and that is at the most. I have also checked out water efficiency sources and they all say that an avarage washing maching only uses 110 litres per avarage wash.
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Loiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant futureLoiner has a brilliant future

Even so I do a wash per day at mo and if it uses 110 that leaves 30 litres a day for a whole family to get showered, water plants wash up etc etc. I have been reading stories about people moving over then moving back to Uk because of this problem. Are you currently living in Brisbane?
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

knoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really niceknoydart is just really nice

Originally Posted by Loiner
Even so I do a wash per day at mo and if it uses 110 that leaves 30 litres a day for a whole family to get showered, water plants wash up etc etc. I have been reading stories about people moving over then moving back to Uk because of this problem. Are you currently living in Brisbane?
Interested to know where you read these stories
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at:

http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/Water+restrictions

Its a suggested 140 litres per person not per property.

cheers

Andy
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read or heard of anyone that has given up and gone home due purelyto water restrictions in Brisbane.
As above, its a suggested 140 litres per person.
Presumably you are not doing a full load of washing a day just for yourself?! If you have a family and are doing a load a day, using an effiicient washing machine, there isn't a problem. You do the washing up when its worth doing - not a sink full of water for two plates, for example. And I can promise you that no-one in Brisbane is just rinsing their underwear in the sink and showering once a week (at least not because of the water shortage, they might be doing it because they are just weird!)- where on earth did you read that

Last edited by Pollyana; May 3rd 2007 at 9:33 am.
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I haven't read or heard of anyone that has given up and gone home due to water restrictions in Brisbane alone.
Presumably you are not doing a full load of washing a day juts for yourself?! If you have a family and are doing a load a day, using an efificent washing machine, there isn't a problem. You do the washing up when its worth doing - not a sink full of water for two plates, for example. And I can promise you that no-one in Brisbane is just rinsing their underwear in the sink and showering once a week (at least not because of the water shortage, they might be doing it because they are just weird!)- where on earth did you read that
I thought people in Brisbane didn't wear underwear, they spend their whole lives in swimmers on the beach don't they?

Buzzy
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

I am not living in Brisbane at the momment, however I have 4 friends (families of 4-5) and they are not having any trouble with there water. They are only complaining about not being able to top up the pool, wash the car or water the grass, but apart from they seem to be doing fine with the water shortage.

The thing is though, the level 5 water restrictions only came into force on the 5th April this year, before that they were on Level three.
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I thought people in Brisbane didn't wear underwear, they spend their whole lives in swimmers on the beach don't they?

Buzzy
Some of them don't wear footwear, uncivilised animals:curse:
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Im not sure what level 5 or 3 is but is it a temporary thing or a situation that is going to become worse.
Old May 3rd 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

It was an article in the Independant dated 28th April entitled 'Meanwhile, in Australia a global crisis arrives in the backyard'.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure what level 5 or 3 is but is it a temporary thing or a situation that is going to become worse.
SE Queensland generally has wet summers / dry winters, so in the short terms I'd be expecting it to get worse. We were there two years ago and the reservoir levels were at 30%, now down to 20%. If there's no rain and water levels drop further they'll go to greater lengths to conserve what water they have. Water restrictions can go up to Level 8.

Will the place run dry? Rain or no rain, I can't imagine the National or State government would allow that to happen.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:47 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Hubby and I are having second thoughts about moving to Brisbane because of the water shortage. Our dream could easily become a nightmare as we find ourselves washing our smalls out in the sink and having one shower a week. Apparently you are supposed to just use 140 litres a day and a washing mashine uses 200!
To be honest if this kind of thing is scaring you off then I really think you should be having second thoughts - there will be other much harder challenges ahead. Perhaps you should consider a different region with more rain - Perth has had some recently.
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

I dont feel Im being unreasonable asking questions about key issues. i think people who move to the other side of the world and dont consider has the country Im moving to got enough natural resources to sustain that population are mad. Its not like Im thinking 'Oh I can buy M&S underwear or tomato ketchup'! as some people seem to live in fear of.
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

I dont feel Im being unreasonable asking questions about key issues. i think people who move to the other side of the world and dont consider has the country Im moving to got enough natural resources to sustain that population are mad. Its not like Im thinking 'Oh I can buy M&S underwear or tomato ketchup'! as some people seem to live in fear of.
I'm with you loiner. I would say that the fear of a country running out of water would be pretty high up on the list of things that would make people seriously think twice.

It has been on my mind also, but we're still going.

Who knows how bad it will get - but we'll be there first hand to find out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.