Reload this Page >

Having a house built

Having a house built

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a house built

There was an interesting topic on here about Kit Homes.

I have since spoken to my brother in law in Western Australia (he is almost an Aussie after 35 years)
He has worked on Kit Homes and says they are very good quality. However he would recommend having a house built as the cost of a kit home would be about the same if you didnt build it yourself.

Last year he had a house built ( 3 bed 2 bathroom very nice place)
He contacted all local builders for plans and prices. Most builders have plans for various constructions.
The one he went for was a 4x2, but he asked for modifications to make is 3 larger bedrooms.
The total cost for the house was around $100,000 this included garage, block paved drive, kitchen appliances, floor coverings, all ready to move in.
The only extra expence was fence, shed and decking for BBQ area.
The quality of the house was very good, if you can find a piece of land at a reasonable cost the value would increase dramaticaly on completion.

Tony C
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

MartyO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Having a house built

Originally posted by crabtree

I have since spoken to my brother in law in Western Australia (he is almost an Aussie after 35 years)
He has worked on Kit Homes and says they are very good quality. However he would recommend having a house built as the cost of a kit home would be about the same if you didnt build it yourself.

He contacted all local builders for plans and prices. Most builders have plans for various constructions.
The one he went for was a 4x2, but he asked for modifications to make is 3 larger bedrooms.
The total cost for the house was around $100,000 this included garage, block paved drive, kitchen appliances, floor coverings, all ready to move in.
The quality of the house was very good, if you can find a piece of land at a reasonable cost the value would increase dramaticaly on completion.

Tony C

I spent a day going around the show homes in North Perth while we were out there 18 months ago. I was surprised at what you can get for $100,000. What I would say though is that it was a bit like buying off a supermarket shelf, with the basic price buying a specific spec and the price varies if you want tiles on the roof rather than sheet steel, brick veneer rather than render, floor tiles tended to be extra, appliances were extra........

A cousin of my wife in Perth needed a bigger house than she could really afford, so she bought a big standard house type but didn't get it all 'fitted out'. She will gradually finish off the rest of the house as and when she can afford to. This struck me as a sensible way to do it.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Tony C
True.

Just remember you can totally change/move the inside walls of the structure from an "off the plan" house. Some builders allow you 5 changes for free, and then they will charge you a extra for above that figure.

I am having my home built - almost finished now, move in early next month. We spent about a year designing the home - so many changes. It was an off the plan home - you wouldn't recognise it from the original plan now.

A few things which we have done ( far too many to list, but here's a few examples)
made the garage bigger - from a two car garage to little under a three car , built out under the eaves and took some space from the laundry area.

made the kitchen and living areas bigger (totally changed the kitchen units)
bathrooms larger adding g a large spa bath to the ensuite - (extra cost $600) believe it or not for this one - cheap or what.
Made dwarf walls and cut out walls

If you can use CAD - get the plan you want off the builder and play around with it - move the walls, add things inside if you want - you can totally change an off the plan home, and they will build it for you at a cost (depending on how many changes)

On the other hand if you do want to build for less than $100 thou - you can (ours was a lot more than this - so I'll list my friends home) . My mates next door neighbour has a just built a smallish, but nice three bed , steel frame, for $80 thou - but this was without floor coverings etc. which you can do yourself for around 4 to 5 grand.

My mate's 4 bed house - move in (everything included) was $120 minus landscaping, driveway. He only made two small changes to the house (deleting rumpus and moving the laundry room)

The removable dwellings (ie kit homes) are not as cheap as they sound. I don't know if you saw it on tv a couple months back if you are in Aus (can't remember the name of the programme), but there was a young couple who did the kit home way - turned out it cost them a little over a $100 k time they moved in . They are not worth it. I'm living in an area which has a high number of these homes, they are slowly removing, pulling them down to be replaced with brick homes. A lot of councils will not let you erect one these days in newly released estates, I know where my mate has built in Morayfield (which is an outer suburb of Brisbane - an acreage plot too) - it's a no - no. The area where I'm building , I'm not quite sure - but they're all brick there anyway.

You can also build double cavity brick , or breeze block homes too if you want, there's a new estate near to where I'm renting, there are three double cavity brick homes going up and 2 breeze block homes. (non display homes - private homes)

cheers
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:11 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Tony C
Must have been some dog box , it cost us $200k plus block price to build an average home here 3 years ago.
You get a lower end home for that price , rule of thumb is you need to spend upto double the price of block on the home.

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 2:02 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Must have been some dog box , it cost us $200k plus block price to build an average home here 3 years ago.
You get a lower end home for that price , rule of thumb is you need to spend upto double the price of block on the home.

last year (gone up a bit since last year) some houses herei n Brisbane (4 bed) started as low as 89 thou-(advertised) from most major construction firms - but you need to add at least 20 thou on top of that (connections etc, sewage - plus the little things) so that would be 109 grand for a "basic" 4 bed home. When I mean basic this would not include floor tiles to the house (only wet areas - ie bathroom, laundry) ., but would include fittings such as kitchen units, bathroom etc.

Anyway - you can get a decentish house for a little over a 100 grand - my mates is 4 bed, two bath etc etc, roomy and his cost him around 120 grand. His neighbours 80 grand (but that was a shell - no interior fittings) - his acregage plot was- 65,000 a year ago (before boom) , now worth about 90 thou (plots next to him are selling for this now)

depends of course - you get what you pay for. Wish mine was that cheap... money... it comes and it goes - costing us a bl**dy fortune! we just spent just over a grand this weekend in Bunnings for just the ceiling fans and down lights. It's the little things which tend to add up.

Anyway you can get a 4 bed house for around a 100 thou if you look around, depends on what you want of course.

cheers
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 2:17 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
last year (gone up a bit since last year) some houses herei n Brisbane (4 bed) started as low as 89 thou-(advertised) from most major construction firms - but you need to add at least 20 thou on top of that (connections etc, sewage - plus the little things) so that would be 109 grand for a "basic" 4 bed home. When I mean basic this would not include floor tiles to the house (only wet areas - ie bathroom, laundry) ., but would include fittings such as kitchen units, bathroom etc.

Anyway - you can get a decentish house for a little over a 100 grand - my mates is 4 bed, two bath etc etc, roomy and his cost him around 120 grand. His neighbours 80 grand (but that was a shell - no interior fittings) - his acregage plot was- 65,000 a year ago (before boom) , now worth about 90 thou (plots next to him are selling for this now)

depends of course - you get what you pay for. Wish mine was that cheap... money... it comes and it goes - costing us a bl**dy fortune! we just spent just over a grand this weekend in Bunnings for just the ceiling fans and down lights. It's the little things which tend to add up.

Anyway you can get a 4 bed house for around a 100 thou if you look around, depends on what you want of course.

cheers
90% of homes in Perth are double brick unlike QLD so costs are higher a good block count on $200K plus and a home worth building will cost at lest the same with all costs included.

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

a good block count on $200K plus and a home worth building will cost at lest the same with all costs included.

Rubbish, the avergage price for homes in BRISBANE is $253,000 (house and land) as quoted in paper a couple of weeks ago.

I just don't believe the average house in Perth is twice what it is in Brisbane. Maybe if your talking about beachside or very large block, but def not the typical average house in a nice suburb.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 3:32 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Rubbish, the avergage price for homes in BRISBANE is $253,000 (house and land) as quoted in paper a couple of weeks ago.

I just don't believe the average house in Perth is twice what it is in Brisbane. Maybe if your talking about beachside or very large block, but def not the typical average house in a nice suburb.
Look QLD is not Perth and you have never built here go back to sleep, the highest cost of a Perth home being built is $25 million .
We build with double brick here not woodern shacks, people are camping out weeks here to get good blocks at big prices.
Get a life then come back and tell us about it sometime young man.

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 3:49 am
Y Ddraig Goch

If you offered me that for mine - I'd laugh at you, or punch you for wasting my time, as quoted by "me" , for that amount of money you'd be on a 300 block crammed into an estate, or in Brisbane North,, or inland, or a fibro. My mates in Morayfield, and as you know that area is the cheaper end of the market for Brisbane - is worth about $ 290 (he's had it valued) (he paid $120 to build it plus land costs = $185,000)

Where I'm renting - Redcliffe - you'd get a three bed small brick 15/20 year old house for that $253,000, or a fibro, and again Redcliffe is cheaper than say Manly and other suburbs closer to the city.

You'd be pushed finding a decent (second - hand) home for that amount of money - the cheapest way is finding a plot and building your own.

I spent two years deciding whether to build or buy, it came down to building - it works out cheaper and get more for your money- than buying an old home, then you can sell it to some dopey B*stard

cheers

P.s new estate near me where I'm renting - building and land average price is $310,000. (Redcliffe)

It depends on where in Brisbane - people are moving further out as land has shot up in price.

But if you want to live in such places like Ipswich, morayfield etc - yes you can build a nice house for that (land included)

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 23rd 2003 at 3:58 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ceri
If you offered me that for mine - I'd laugh at you, or punch you for wasting my time, as quoted by "me" , for
I dare say but average means you add up the prices paid for all the houses sold in a particular month and devide by the number sold. This gives you the average price.

For Brisbane that is $253,000 for May 2003. There are loads of Houses for between $200-300,000 if you bother to look. These won't be riverside or top suburbs, just average.

If you don't believe me try Here

And pick Carina as the suburb about 10kms from the CBD and you get hundreds.

As for PB if he's been conned into paying 200,000 by a builder for a typical 3 bedrooom house he's been had big time.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:20 am
Banned

As for PB if he's been conned into paying 200,000 by a builder for a typical 3 bedrooom house he's been had big time.
The house was not even middle range you have not lived yet young man , and I quoted full price to finish off our 4 bedroom home that we sold at a profit.

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

I dare say but average means you add up the prices paid for all the houses sold in a particular month and devide by the number sold. This gives you the average price.

For Brisbane that is $253,000 for May 2003. There are loads of Houses for between $200-300,000 if you bother to look. These won't be riverside or top suburbs, just average.

If you don't believe me try Here

And pick Carina as the suburb about 10kms from the CBD and you get hundreds.

Do not mislead people please.

It depends on what you want. There are things to be considered. My mates house is cheap. cheap, cheap - an acre - four bedroom brick only $185 to build and land - but it's Morayfield for christs sake!

I lived in Brisabne southside for three years - near to the gateway - land was expensive that end

Don't mislead people. Brisbane is booming. You can either compromise and buy a small plot (I mean small - 300) or go further out

It all depends where you want to live and what you want.

P.s Paul 200 thou is bog all when it comes to building have you any idea? wood blinds alone for my house is costing 5 grand.

Please do not mislead people - there is a difference between advertised costs and real costs, there's also a difference between land costs.

Yes you can build for $100k (excluding land) - read my first post - it depends on many factors.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

The house was not even middle range you have not lived yet young man , and I quoted full price to finish off our 4 bedroom home that we sold at a profit.

OK so $400,000 is not close to the avergage house price in Perth so what is $600,000 or is it $800,000. If it is it's in your head.

It's more like $300,000 or less, I'm not talking about 4 or 5 bedroom houses I'm talking about the average for Perth, and the average for Brisbane is $253,000.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:37 am
Banned

OK so $400,000 is not close to the avergage house price in Perth so what is $600,000 or is it $800,000. If it is it's in your head.

It's more like $300,000 or less, I'm not talking about 4 or 5 bedroom houses I'm talking about the average for Perth, and the average for Brisbane is $253,000.
Average house prices mean sweet sod all , you know bugger all as you have never built or bought a home here little boy.

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 4:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

first page when I put in Carina - your point being?? fibro, old homes many of them and 600m is small for land - ok, but small.

where is the $200 thou plus - do not mislead. The cheapest way is building your own

$350,000
4 bedroom House
* Ultra Modern 2 Storey Home * 4 Bedrooms + Study * Formal Lounge * Huge Rumpus Room * Large L-Shaped Rear Deck * Painted In Modern Trendy Colours Throughout * Brand New Top Class Kitchen * Polished Timber Floors ...

property details>>

CARINA Make An Offer - Going Cheap!
Auction Sat 19-Jul-03 12:30pm
29 KENROSE STREET House
At last, everything you wanted. At the RIGHT price! * 3 bedrooms * Polished timber floors * French doors * New Kitchen * New Bathroom * 610m of useable garden * Double lock-up garage * Close to Carindale...

property details>>

CARINA Location, Location
$400,000
3 bedroom House
Set on 665m2 block of land, this 2 sotrey double brick home offers you 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, good sized kicthen, double lock=up garage. Walking distance to city bus and shopping centre. For more

property details>>

Advertisement
HOME LOANS
How much can you borrow and what are your costs? With more than 300 loans to choose from, it PAYS to get INDEPENDANT ADVICE. FREE online service provides you with the answers - ensuring your choice is the best. click here>>

CARINA Carina
$320000 - $350000
19 DICKENSON STREET 2 bedroom House
Two bedroom, lowset timber home, 754m2 block, zoned RB3, Great location

property details>>

CARINA Discover The Lifestyle
Sale by Negotiation
$550000
4 bedroom House
Views for miles tucked away in a quiet cul-du-sac is this something different 3level home. I can only describe this home as one of the Best family homes I have had the pleasure to find a New owner for. ...

property details>>

CARINA Moving To Brisbane?
For $750,000
4 bedroom House
This superb executive home is constructed of solid brick and pre-stressed concrete, and finished with granosite. Only 6 kms from the CBD at Carina, and situated on top of a hill to catch all the prevailing breezes...

property details>>

CARINA Low Set Villa 2 Bedrooms
$205,000
37/128 MEADOWLANDS RD 2 bedroom Villa
Amanda Van de Hoef 0438745315, 38476090 JUST LISTED! Hurry to inspect! Rare opportunity to own a neat 2 bedroom villa in prime sought after area. Complex is established with lovely gardens, swimming pool and BBq area...

property details>>

CARINA Townhouse Site
Offers Over $320,000 Considered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.