Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

having door dipped

having door dipped

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:33 am
WBB

Default having door dipped

we are in the process of getting the house into some shape, ready for selling, the doors on our upstairs rooms have about 15 coats of paint and we were considering having new ones, a friend suggested getting hem dipped into an acid bath which strips them down to the original wood, only problem is i have never seen the result of this process.

i have had a quote for £20 per door.

anyone had this done?

would you say the result was good?

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

hi

yes I have had this done - I went for the cheap option and just had them dipped with cost me about £15 per door - this meant that I still had to get rid of the paint stuck in the grooves etc (which wasnt too awful) and then waxed the door down as I didnt want to use varnish.

The dipping resulted in 99% of the paint being removed all I had to do was as stated above the hard bits which were left in the cracks etc (not sure of the technical words for this!!)
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:49 am
WBB

Originally posted by rizalan
hi

yes I have had this done - I went for the cheap option and just had them dipped with cost me about £15 per door - this meant that I still had to get rid of the paint stuck in the grooves etc (which wasnt too awful) and then waxed the door down as I didnt want to use varnish.

The dipping resulted in 99% of the paint being removed all I had to do was as stated above the hard bits which were left in the cracks etc (not sure of the technical words for this!!)
oh, i thought this would remove 100% of the paint, never mind im sure a bit of sanding down wont hurt me

thanks for the quick reply.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

We had ours dipped, quick, simple and somebody else has to clear up the mess. Wax them afterwards makes them look lovely, ours cost 12 pounds each.
Colin
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

If you want to varnish them then you will need to do the extra bit of paint removal from the difficult areas. But do you really need the hassle when you've got life changing arrangements to do?

Why don't you just paint another layer of paint on or if the extra layers are so obvious just go for the dip and then paint you single layer over the top? Just another thought, the more angles you get the better.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:01 pm
WBB

Originally posted by migrantoz
If you want to varnish them then you will need to do the extra bit of paint removal from the difficult areas. But do you really need the hassle when you've got life changing arrangements to do?

Why don't you just paint another layer of paint on or if the extra layers are so obvious just go for the dip and then paint you single layer over the top? Just another thought, the more angles you get the better.

yes we are considering that option, the thing is we just want to tart the house up a bit ready to sell, as obviously we want to get top value and £80 for 4 doors to look good is a small price to pay.

the thing is the more work we do here the better it looks and we just want to stay!

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:46 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Dipping doors can be ok but BE CAREFUL, the glue used in the joints to hold older type door panels together can be eroded by the acid.

Arron

Adelaide soon please!!!!!:lecture:
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Had ours done and they looked beutiful...unfortunately they warped! Nice to look at, but completely useless to close!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:19 pm
WBB

Originally posted by steandleigh
Had ours done and they looked beutiful...unfortunately they warped! Nice to look at, but completely useless to close!
as long as they look nice to sell the house

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We had ours dipped and they came out great. You can pay a bit more and get them lightly sanded afterwards, this means you don't have to do any prep- you can just wax or varnish then as soon as they have dried out.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: having door dipped

Originally posted by welshboybilly
we are in the process of getting the house into some shape, ready for selling, the doors on our upstairs rooms have about 15 coats of paint and we were considering having new ones, a friend suggested getting hem dipped into an acid bath which strips them down to the original wood, only problem is i have never seen the result of this process.

i have had a quote for £20 per door.

anyone had this done?

would you say the result was good?
Should be like dipping sheep billy, just remember to wear gloves & a mask for the fumes
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:44 pm
WBB

Default Re: having door dipped

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Should be like dipping sheep billy, just remember to wear gloves & a mask for the fumes

i like your sense of humour

cheers for the help on this one, will make some calls next week.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

If there is any ply on the doors (some panels are) they will just fall apart.

Aparentley with the sheep dipping good wellies are essential