Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

having a baby in OZ

having a baby in OZ

Old Jun 25th 2006, 3:41 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: having a baby in OZ

Originally Posted by TillyG
Not if you're on a 457 Sorry, I'm not picking on your posts LOL. And I'm just a teeny bit bitter & twisted re the limitations on our visa.

Back in the UK, the child benefit & tax credits only came to about £110 per month but it was handy when it came to buying shoes and "big" purchases... it even covered the cost of nappies in dire months. Now, we're having to find the money from other places and it's a tad tight... think I'll get on with potty-training DD as that'll save about $120 per month LOL

We are on PR visa and get nothing cos hubby earns to much. I was made redundant so my payout meant I earnt too much to get Part B so I get $0. At least in the UK no matter what you earnt you would get the standard amount of child benefit.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joh117
We are on PR visa and get nothing cos hubby earns to much. I was made redundant so my payout meant I earnt too much to get Part B so I get $0. At least in the UK no matter what you earnt you would get the standard amount of child benefit.
That sucks I liked how everyone got child benefit - think it worked out to be just £68/mth (for 1 child) but it helped. I naively assumed we'd be entitled to it over here - esp as the Family Assistance office didn't tell me I wasn't eligible, yet gave me the forms and accepted them back in... if they'd told me I wasn't entitled, I wouldn't have wasted my time doing them!
Old Jun 25th 2006, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
That sucks I liked how everyone got child benefit - think it worked out to be just £68/mth (for 1 child) but it helped. I naively assumed we'd be entitled to it over here - esp as the Family Assistance office didn't tell me I wasn't eligible, yet gave me the forms and accepted them back in... if they'd told me I wasn't entitled, I wouldn't have wasted my time doing them!
I didn't bother claiming either. Turned out we get Family B and a bit of A so we are due for a amount of cash - backdated 9 months - I will not knock back!