Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Australia

Having a baby in Australia

Old Sep 12th 2014, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

roof33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a baby in Australia

Hi
I am in the process of moving to Australia with my husband. We will be coming on my husbands 457 visa as he will be becoming a partner in a well known company. I am a teacher although do not have a job in Australia yet but wish to continue my career.

I am now of an age that I want to start a family as soon as we get to Australia as I'm not getting any younger and have already put this off till the move is complete.

I am concerned about whether we could afford to have a baby and if I would be entitled to any government help on a 457 visa?

Any guidance, advice and help would be greatly welcome.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in Australia

Originally Posted by roof33
Hi
I am in the process of moving to Australia with my husband. We will be coming on my husbands 457 visa as he will be becoming a partner in a well known company. I am a teacher although do not have a job in Australia yet but wish to continue my career.

I am now of an age that I want to start a family as soon as we get to Australia as I'm not getting any younger and have already put this off till the move is complete.

I am concerned about whether we could afford to have a baby and if I would be entitled to any government help on a 457 visa?

One would hope that holding a director position in a well known company, the pay would make it a breeze to be able to afford a baby.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

roof33 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a retail company and will be opening a new branch so realistically will not see profit for the first 3 years. He will be on a basic salary of roughly $70000.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, no government handouts at all and the prospect of being charged for some medical services. $70k is not much to be living on.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 2:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And also be aware that the child (of parents with 457 visa) will not be an Australian citizen by birth.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 12:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roof33
Hi

Your best bet would be to really research private health insurance policies, and get the one that would provide the most cover for pregnancy and birth. Do your homework, because as far as I'm aware most have a 12 month waiting period before being able to claim for this. Best of luck with the move.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 1:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Australia will this new branch of a 'well known company' be? That will affect greatly your amount of surplus cash from salary.
The cost of living is pretty much the same all over, but the cost of rentals will be of greater variance and will be your biggest outlay.
If you also get work then your lives will be comfortable but teachers jobs are like gold dust in some parts of Oz, its not as easy as some would have you think irrespective of your qualifications or experience. Then having a baby will have you going to a very basic salary again with no financial assistance at all from the government.
Big choice.
I think get here first then you will be best placed to evaluate your options if see if its still what you want to do.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Yep, most health insurance companies have a waiting period of twelve months to cover pregnancy.
You have a choice here of having a baby in a public hospital and take pot luck who delivers the baby (wouldn't worry me) or to go private. Friend just went down that road and it cost her almost $3,000 out of pocket expenses (after private health care)
Australia can be an expensive country to live in, not much in the way of govt handouts here.
Having gone down the same road, I had some real experience advice, if you now have private health insurance and you do move here, DONT cancel it. Many health insurance companies will take the waiting period from your existing cover, even if thats from a different country, I learnt that the hard way. Good luck!
Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polly 3
Yep, most health insurance companies have a waiting period of twelve months to cover pregnancy.
You have a choice here of having a baby in a public hospital and take pot luck who delivers the baby (wouldn't worry me) or to go private. Friend just went down that road and it cost her almost $3,000 out of pocket expenses (after private health care)
Australia can be an expensive country to live in, not much in the way of govt handouts here.
Having gone down the same road, I had some real experience advice, if you now have private health insurance and you do move here, DONT cancel it. Many health insurance companies will take the waiting period from your existing cover, even if thats from a different country, I learnt that the hard way. Good luck!
What good advice Polly 3, good on you for giving the OP the benefit of your experience
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to allDennis The Menace is a name known to all

Before I get my head bitten off I don't mean to sound nasty but with your Husband being on a 457 Visa and Neither of you having contributed to the Australian Government tax wise I doubt very much you will be entitled to any financial assistance from the Australian Welfare System. But good luck though
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:29 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^
That is a stupid comment. When you are here on a 457 Visa you are a resident for tax purposes so you DO contribute to the Australian Government tax wise.
But, the fact remains that 457 holders are NOT entitled to any welfare or government funds.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
^^^^^^
That is a stupid comment. When you are here on a 457 Visa you are a resident for tax purposes so you DO contribute to the Australian Government tax wise.
But, the fact remains that 457 holders are NOT entitled to any welfare or government funds.
Not entirely stupid. If the 457 recipient had a baby within 3 months of arriving and paying tax, then they have hardly contributed enough in tax to warrant a free ride on the tax payer.

On the other hand someone who has been contributing for 4 years might have a valid argument.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:06 am
Social Grenade Thrower

No, the comment was stupid because it WAS meant to be nasty and it was having a dig at 457 Visa holders. Regardless of how long you have been somewhere if you are entitled then you are entitled. It was a silly comment based on entitlement inaccuracies.
If you are a PR Visa holder and arrive and within 3 months arriving you get the welfare funding, please explain how that differs from a 457 holder who pays THE SAME TAX!!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddyo
No, the comment was stupid because it WAS meant to be nasty and it was having a dig at 457 Visa holders. Regardless of how long you have been somewhere if you are entitled then you are entitled. It was a silly comment based on entitlement inaccuracies.
If you are a PR Visa holder and arrive and within 3 months arriving you get the welfare funding, please explain how that differs from a 457 holder who pays THE SAME TAX!!
I don't think it was intended to be nasty and they did say they are not trying to be so.

Yep totally agree there are inconsistencies and unfairness in the system. No doubt.

I can completely see what you mean per 457 vs straight out PR. I can also see the argument against instant entitlement.

I guess the way the law makers see it is that a 457 is a temporary visa designed to fill skills shortages for a temporary period of time and is sponsored by the employee who "needs" this resource.

Often the 457 holder likes to see it as a stepping stone to PR. After all there are not many who would commit to 4 years of the lives without having goals and hopes for the future based around their current place of living.

There is a complete mismatch here
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Yes I totally get the 457 restrictions, I understand why it is needed. I also think that when coming over on a 457 you just need to be made aware of them. So I have no argument with what each Visa is entitled to, its a given and its clearly stated. It was the 'Neither of you having contributed to the Australian Government tax wise' wording which frustrated me as that really had nothing to do with it and was erroneous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.