Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Having babies in Oz

Having babies in Oz

Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:11 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having babies in Oz

No, I'm not preggers...just doing some forward thinking.

There being no NHS, how does it work in Oz when you have a baby? Is it covered by Medicare? Basically, what's the cost?

Also, assuming I ever get a job in Oz, what's the deal on maternity leave?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:28 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having babies in Oz

Originally posted by bundy
No, I'm not preggers...just doing some forward thinking.

There being no NHS, how does it work in Oz when you have a baby? Is it covered by Medicare? Basically, what's the cost?

Also, assuming I ever get a job in Oz, what's the deal on maternity leave?
Public hospital in Oz, covered by medicare. that includes antenatal classes etc & antenatal clinic. I had a very good experience when I had the boys, others may not be as happy. If you want to go private you pay. Alot of times you still go to exactly the same public hospital, get the same food etc, but you may be in a private room & you get a choice of doctors. I went public, ended up in a private room, had the same 3 or 4 doctors the whole way though my pregnancy & all 3 of them were there for the birth. Ahhh the joys of having twins .

Maternity leave is almost always 52 weeks unpaid leave.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:28 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Hi Bundy

This is a good recent thread on having a baby in Oz.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=baby

Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:44 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you both...it's good to know.

MrsD - twins run down the mother's side, right??!!! Only Mr B comes from a long line of twins....:scared: :scared:

As I say, won't be breeding quite yet, but I've always wondered how it works out there and thought it would be a good idea to find out sooner rather than later...
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:58 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Dont worry bout the hospitals - you're a country girl. You'll have to run back from the far paddock when its time, have the baby, then back out to finish the shearing!

What is the story with twins? Is it the male side or the female side. my gran was a twin and despite having more cousins and reli's than the Waltons, there haven'e been any twins since her!

Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:01 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by loose
Dont worry bout the hospitals - you're a country girl. You'll have to run back from the far paddock when its time, have the baby, then back out to finish the shearing!

What is the story with twins? Is it the male side or the female side. my gran was a twin and despite having more cousins and reli's than the Waltons, there haven'e been any twins since her!

Yep, probably drop a sprog behind a wool bale or something

I think twins come down the maternal side. At least, I hope they do because Mr B's dad is a twin with another set of twin sibblings. In other words, Mr B's granny squeezed out two sets of twins and one just on it's own. Scary!

No twins on my side though, so I think I'm safe. Dropping two sprogs beind the wool bales might be more difficult
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by BKate
Hi Bundy

This is a good recent thread on having a baby in Oz.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=baby

Bundy

Reading some of the stories on this thread should be enough to keep those thoughts to the back of your mind for a bit longer yet:scared:

The only thing not mentioned above that I read on another thread was that for private medical insurance cover you must keep your legs together for six months from taking out the policy for your pregnancy to be covered.

MrsSJN has a tricky decision to make - Junior No. 2 at the earliest 15mths after entering Oz or risk the medicare system
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Did you hear about that woman in the news yesterday who gave herself a caesarean with a kitchen knife Somewhere in mexico - she was 8 hrs from the nearest hospital. Apparently a nurse then came by and sewed her up with needle and thread. :scared:

So make sure your paddock is within reasonable distance of a hospital!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:07 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Did you hear about that woman in the news yesterday who gave herself a caesarean with a kitchen knife Somewhere in mexico - she was 8 hrs from the nearest hospital. Apparently a nurse then came by and sewed her up with needle and thread. :scared:

So make sure your paddock is within reasonable distance of a hospital!

That's alright - everyone in Nundle can sew. People rarely bother with the hospital, just get out some suture thread and a leather needle and get on with it. And I'm not kidding.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:09 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by sjn2003
Bundy

Reading some of the stories on this thread should be enough to keep those thoughts to the back of your mind for a bit longer yet:scared:

The only thing not mentioned above that I read on another thread was that for private medical insurance cover you must keep your legs together for six months from taking out the policy for your pregnancy to be covered.

MrsSJN has a tricky decision to make - Junior No. 2 at the earliest 15mths after entering Oz or risk the medicare system

I'll bear it in mind. Not planning to get preggers yet anyway, but time it is a-ticking and Mr B is disturbingly broody...
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
Bundy

Yes
You will not get private cover for childbirth unless you are insured well before the conception.

G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:16 pm
She's a bird, you know

An answer...

Your chance of having twins
Twin pregnancies are passed down through the female and are more likely to occur if there are already non-identical twins in the family. The prevalence in the UK is about one in 95 deliveries – and this has been increasing over the past couple of decades. Multiple pregnancies also increase as women get older.

Phew!!!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:16 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Grayling
Yes
You will not get private cover for childbirth unless you are insured well before the conception.

G

Presumably you can get health cover pretty much on arrival???
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Presumably you can get health cover pretty much on arrival???
Depends on the company.Some will not cover you for a couple of months except for accidents and you may have problems with EXISTING conditions.

G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 2:37 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Grayling
Depends on the company.Some will not cover you for a couple of months except for accidents and you may have problems with EXISTING conditions.

G

Bugger. I've got two existing conditions (asthma and crappy thyroid) but both are easy and cheap to treat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.