Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you seen this in today's paper?

Have you seen this in today's paper?

Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:20 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Have you seen this in today's paper?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_page_id=1770

Wondered what you all thought. But my view is that if that is all there is wrong with Australia, then hurry up visa!

Managed to put it on a few posts down

Last edited by Anne4Terry; Aug 18th 2005 at 4:39 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:20 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have you seen this in today's paper?

says "server cannot locate page"
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Same for me.....
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by bridiej
Oh bum. Don't know how to rectify that then. It was an article in today's Daily Mail from an ex-Australian supposedly slagging off Australia in response for the big push on migrants. However, all she did was make us more determined to get out there.

If anyone can get me out of this embarrassing technical error, or read the article, I would be very glad
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Oh bum. Don't know how to rectify that then. It was an article in today's Daily Mail from an ex-Australian supposedly slagging off Australia in response for the big push on migrants. However, all she did was make us more determined to get out there.

If anyone can get me out of this embarrassing technical error, or read the article, I would be very glad
I'm sure I saw this article on a separate thread earlier today.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320749
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by marco121068
I'm sure I saw this article on a separate thread earlier today.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320749
Why I don't give a XXXX about life Down Under!
by AMANDA PLATELL, Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Last edited by Sue; Aug 18th 2005 at 9:14 pm. Reason: Do NOT cut and paste articles unless you own the copyright or have permission to reproduce the article.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Have you seen this in today's paper?

Wondered what you all thought. But my view is that if that is all there is wrong with Australia, then hurry up visa!
They obviously could not find much to fault by the sounds of things as most of whats listed is very petty.

Just type in www.dailymail.co.uk it's on the front page if your still having probs
Old Aug 18th 2005, 6:20 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Managed to put it on a few posts down
Well nothing will stop me ( Apart from not getting a visa and my CO is the nicest person in AUS ) .
I cant wait to go and add my skills to the Australian economy
Old Aug 18th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I certainly did not find this at all off-putting. I found the part about the few intellectuals that Australia produced leaving to live in the UK and Australia quite interesting. I have met loads of australians and a lot of them have been very clever and very intellectual - wonder how aussies would feel about that remark.

The crux of what she was saying was that people in aussie are small minded and sheltered, being so isolated. When we were there in December, we did not find this at all. We found that they were laid back, not to be confused with being 'backward'. Anything that we needed, we found we could get. We only found that the less populated towns were less equipped than our coastal/holiday towns and once living there, we will know to plan better and take with us what we need.

The one advantage that I think we have is that we have led the 'cosmopolitan' lifestyle and have experienced being 'nestled between america and europe' so when we get there, we will know what is like on both sides of the fence and I wonder which one most decide to stay on?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:33 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Well - Australia is NOT like the UK - fancy that eh ?

I mean she is almost suggesting that its a foreign country or something with a different culture that really bears little resemblance to the UK and its not just England in the Sun ??

She even goes on to suggest its not perfect ???

Simply put - thank goodness for that!

If I wanted Britain in the sun I'd move to the Costa del Little Britain....
I dont care for the which is better argument - the fact still remains that Australia is better for me personally, and I'm afraid thats all that counts
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:41 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

"Comic genius Dame Edna Everage.

When considering the cultural aspects of the country, it would be wise to wonder why some of the great Aussie intellects of our time (and no, that is not an oxymoron) - Clive James, Germaine Greer and Robert Hughes to name but a few - have chosen to base themselves in the UK and America."

Comic genius, Great Intellects?

A Gladioli Tosser, A Television Critic, An Attention Seeking Ranter and a Pompous Art Critic?

Minor social parasites more like.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:51 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Overall a good article, certainly not off putting.

Personally I love Kath and Kim, my kind of humour.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:58 pm
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

Originally Posted by Megalania

When considering the cultural aspects of the country, it would be wise to wonder why some of the great Aussie intellects of our time (and no, that is not an oxymoron) - Clive James, Germaine Greer and Robert Hughes to name but a few - have chosen to base themselves in the UK and America."

A Gladioli Tosser, A Television Critic, An Attention Seeking Ranter and a Pompous Art Critic?

PMSL
Much Karma on the way

I am more attracted to Australia BECAUSE these "intellects" have now left those beaut shores! Roll on Mr VISA and show me and my hunk of spunk our Kath & Kim suburb Can't Wait!

Sharon
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:07 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania

Tell us who is then.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:20 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Was a very good article in the Daily Express today (no I dont buy it) giving the accounts of the £10 pound poms 40 years ago. Seems 1/3 of them spent their time in Aus saving up to come home asap. Article was comparing how they gave the same reasons as people today give for going. History repeating itself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.