Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

View Poll Results: Did you visit Australia before applying for a visa?
Yes - I visited Australia before I decided to apply for a visa
54.04%
No - I had never visited Australia before i decided to apply for a visa
45.96%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

I wouldn't be able to move to a place permanently if I haven't seen it. But if it were temporary, then yes I would be able to do it.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
I wouldn't be able to move to a place permanently if I haven't seen it. But if it were temporary, then yes I would be able to do it.
You wouldn't know what was permanent until you drop dead anyway and then it's kind of irrelevant

I honestly think that no matter how many decades you live, life is too short to stress about stuff. You think of doing something and you either do it or you don't. If you don't you deal with it and if you do, you deal with that as well. If something goes wrong you do something else. Spend too much time working out the pros, cons, ifs buts and maybes, and you'll find your life is over and you've done sod all.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You wouldn't know what was permanent until you drop dead anyway and then it's kind of irrelevant
Well yeah that's true
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've been here going on for 3 years! No reccie at all for us, couldn't afford one.

Seems that your visiting before didn't really do much for you if you don't feel that settled.....
So true Wendy and still feel the same would go barmy if thought living in this country to be the end of the road. But saying that do enjoy living in another country and establishing or enriching self while there.That could be in language ,culture or creating wealth and assets.
We have interests here..house etc but also remain connected with Europe having the same there.
Not having children has made it far easier than many, i guess, in allowing us to maintain a certain freedom in that we have few considerations besides our personal needs/desires to how long we stay in a place and at this point of time have no desire to settle permanant in any particular place. Although saying that we have been here in Perth(see it as just another home) for some time now asset building, i suppose it could be said . Will be looking into a possible move to Melbourne in the new year as an alternative to Perth.(which is ok but very limited)Same time keep international options open.
Besides that the world is our oyster and most certainly would not limit options to the British Isles.

Last edited by the troubadour; Nov 25th 2008 at 2:02 am. Reason: erroe
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I had travelled around Oz about 10 years ago as a student. I suppose I did end up here by accident - I saw a presentation about Aussie engineering and asked the bloke after what the job market was like. He gave me the contact details of a few people who might be interested in hiring me.

I suppose though the problem is going somewhere on holiday isn't quite the same as moving there - there are lots of things you don't see. Aussie adverts in the UK concentrate on deserty bush and people lounging around on a beach. Not exactly realistic when you have to go to work!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Cityboy2808 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are giving serious consideration to moving to Perth but only made a 2 week visit almost 20 years ago, (I'm sure it is still there). I don't think doing a recce will make that much difference as only being there will determine if it is for us as a family.

I think the nuts and bolts of it are that no matter where you decide to live it is what you are prepared to put in to it to make a success of things that is important.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really niceDorutland is just really nice

I was working in Indonesia and had to come to Sydney every month. Loved it! Came to hire staff and went to Melbourne and Brisbane. Loved them. Then I get a job offer and end up planning to go to Perth. Just hope I am going to love it!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

No, never ever been to Oz. We are Saffers and moved to the UK in 2001 for better job prospects, personal safety and better education for the kids (all on British/EU passports). Lived here before in 1995/96 as well.

One day the Wife got a bee in 'er bonnet (not literally) and said she's sick of this cold miserable weather and what about moving to Oz. I said I'd move tomorrow if we could, but how would we perform this miracle, as neither of us has a degree?

She did some research and discovered that she could apply for a 175 PR visa. So we're applying.

We are also detached from home-sickness and missing family etc...

We love the outdoors, hot sunshine and barbeques every weekend, which we did and sadly miss from the S.Africa days. Do you think we'll fit in?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

No we didn't visit but we were viewing it as temporary as we have a 457, who knows what the future holds but we figured we could always go back to the Uk or elsewhere if we didn't like it, we are considering PR at the moment...