Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

View Poll Results: Did you visit Australia before applying for a visa?
Yes - I visited Australia before I decided to apply for a visa
54.04%
No - I had never visited Australia before i decided to apply for a visa
45.96%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Re: Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

Originally Posted by Wendy
It would be more interesting to find out what percentage of those that 'reccie'd' want to go back opposed to those that didn't?
That would be really interesting to see too. I'm not sure what I was expecting from the results, but there's not much between the results is there?

I dind't explain my situation either - we made the decision that we'd like to move without having visited the country. Then we booked a trip to Brisbane this time last year as there was the possibility from my husband to get a transfer with his existing company. This sadly fell through, but we loved Brisbane.

Fast forward 12 months, and we made the decision (after turning down a job in Bermuda) to go ahead and apply for a visa independently.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:08 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Oooo, fancy a beer?

Hi Cas, are you coming as well?
Sounds good.....I'll keep you informed
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Oooo, fancy a beer?

Hi Cas, are you coming as well?
Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Sounds good.....I'll keep you informed
WARNING: 'A beer' with Wendy usually involves copious amounts of alcohol and laughter.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:15 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
That would be really interesting to see too. I'm not sure what I was expecting from the results, but there's not much between the results is there?

I dind't explain my situation either - we made the decision that we'd like to move without having visited the country. Then we booked a trip to Brisbane this time last year as there was the possibility from my husband to get a transfer with his existing company. This sadly fell through, but we loved Brisbane.

Fast forward 12 months, and we made the decision (after turning down a job in Bermuda) to go ahead and apply for a visa independently.
Good luck with everything. You sound fairly positive about things so hopefully all will go well. The process may get you down at times, but just remember that others have been through it as well, and many of them post on here to give support.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:16 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
WARNING: 'A beer' with Wendy usually involves copious amounts of alcohol and laughter.
I've basically been teetotal for the past 12 months, so just sniffing the bottle will have me on me back

As for laughter, that used to be my job
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Good luck with everything. You sound fairly positive about things so hopefully all will go well. The process may get you down at times, but just remember that others have been through it as well, and many of them post on here to give support.
Thanks very much! My biggest problem so far is lack of patience - dying to get the visa submitted, but have to wait on this skills assessment first.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:25 am
Take it easy

Thanks very much! My biggest problem so far is lack of patience - dying to get the visa submitted, but have to wait on this skills assessment first.
OMG, I don't want to scare you but some have been waiting for ages, through one thing and another. Stick with it though, and hopefully you'll find your slice of paradise. It's not for everyone over here, but for those that love it, it is just like paradise

Check out the updates forum for some great stories of perseverance, some horror stories, and some real heartwarmers
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, I know - counting on the process taking 12 months once it's submitted, so hopefully we'll get a nice Christmas present from DIAC next year
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:39 am
Take it easy

Oh, I know - counting on the process taking 12 months once it's submitted, so hopefully we'll get a nice Christmas present from DIAC next year
A whole year of coming onto BE to check out the latest goss about Brisbane.

You'll have a post count of 10000 before you move
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

We have visited three times before all on holiday, and next month we are going on a reccie trip. In my opinion I wouldn't want to move abroad anywhere to live until id actually visited the country. People saying 'doing a reccie wouldn't of helped me' well how can you say that if you didn't do one? When you visit a place on holiday, of course its going to be different to when your actually living there, but doing a reccie gives you a chance to see the place for yourself, meet the people, do some research on the ground, like driving around potential areas you want to live. Don't assume that those who do visit australia and do reccies are wasting there time and money. Yes the internet is wonderful for research, but in my opinion, nothing beats going there yourself and making your own mind up.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:53 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by TandC23
We have visited three times before all on holiday, and next month we are going on a reccie trip. In my opinion I wouldn't want to move abroad anywhere to live until id actually visited the country. People saying 'doing a reccie wouldn't of helped me' well how can you say that if you didn't do one? When you visit a place on holiday, of course its going to be different to when your actually living there, but doing a reccie gives you a chance to see the place for yourself, meet the people, do some research on the ground, like driving around potential areas you want to live. Don't assume that those who do visit australia and do reccies are wasting there time and money. Yes the internet is wonderful for research, but in my opinion, nothing beats going there yourself and making your own mind up.
Like I said before, there is no right or wrong, we are all different. Good luck with everything
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandC23
nothing beats going there yourself and making your own mind up.

Which is what we all do......whether we spend thousands of pounds and some time on coming over and getting a feel for the place, or we just move here without all the expense or waiting.

Either way it's a gamble as to whether it's right for you or not.

I don't care which way people prefer, it's their choice at the end of the day.

For me, I just feel lucky that I have had the fantastic opportunity to choose to live here
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

There is still plenty of expense and waiting whether you do a reccie or not.

The times we visited Australia before were for holidays, and it was because of those visits that we decided to make the move.

I suppose its whether you want to make sure its the right choice for you, or whether you are willing to take the risk and try it out anyway, and then just have the expense of moving back.

Like you say - its peoples choice.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:18 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

I came once on contract in the 80's and 3 times with hubby and the boys. We wouldn't dream of moving anywhere without visiting first. However, I do appreciate the fact that this not an option for everyone. I reckon if you have the brass ones to move without visiting first 'good on yer'; certainly saves a bit of cash that way.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Came sight unseen. No internet or reseach of any kind. Very glad I did, but as others have said it is a personal decision, just as whether you emmigrate or not is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.