Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

View Poll Results: Did you visit Australia before applying for a visa?
Yes - I visited Australia before I decided to apply for a visa
54.04%
No - I had never visited Australia before i decided to apply for a visa
45.96%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you/had you been to Australia before you decided to move?

I'd been here about 20 years previously and strangely enough hated every minute of it (was in Perth). When we decided to get me a visa, my MIL nearly dropped dead from shock. We had no intention of going to Perth and I (rightly) assumed I would like this side. Thankfully we love it
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:09 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Never been before... Came on a 1 year tourist visa... that was 2.5 years ago and haven't been back since...
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Never been before we moved and as a matter of fact, Australia wasn't our first choice. England was but we didn't qualify for a visa. Thought about New Zealand but not enough work for the old man. Australia came in at #3. I wouldn't say I either love or hate it. I'm relatively happy with life here so this looks like where we'll stay.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:27 am
Just Joined

thehollies has a spectacular aura aboutthehollies has a spectacular aura aboutthehollies has a spectacular aura about

we are going out on 27th dec and weve never been i dont think a reccie would have helped us. we know that you still have bills to pay etc just sick of going at 100 mph all the time want a bit slower life.................will let you all know how we get on............a of all the people we have talked to all the ones who have been to oz have said just go and dont come back......but on the same lines i think if you do want to cime back i think you should come back to uk for a months holiday and you just might remember why you left in the place..
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Never been before we moved and as a matter of fact, Australia wasn't our first choice. England was but we didn't qualify for a visa. Thought about New Zealand but not enough work for the old man. Australia came in at #3. I wouldn't say I either love or hate it. I'm relatively happy with life here so this looks like where we'll stay.
Nope we have never been, but we are the same as Sel. We are treating it as an adventure, a chance to see another part of the world, to try living inanother country. We will save what we would spend on a reccie towards going home money if we absolutelyhate it. We are not saying at this point it is going to be a permanenet thing, we will go over on a 457 visa and if we like it we will apply for PR. We also don't own a house here in the Uk so it's not like we are selling everything up and getting off the property ladder to do this, we don't even have decent furniture just cheap ikea stuff so we really are quite mobile just now other than a few personal belongings. We have basically said if we don't do this now we never will and idon't want to be sat here in the uk in 10 years time thinking what if
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:35 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
Nope we have never been, but we are the same as Sel. We are treating it as an adventure, a chance to see another part of the world, to try living inanother country... We have basically said if we don't do this now we never will and idon't want to be sat here in the uk in 10 years time thinking what if
Good on you. One of my mottoes is, "don't regret the things you did, only the things you didn't".

Somewhere between leaving the UK in 2002 with a few boxes and landing in Oz in 2008 we managed to accumulate more than a 20ft container's worth of possessions and 3 cats but I'd still say we could move anywhere within a month or so, and would if the right offer came up.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:22 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Oh, and call me nosy, but I'd be interested to hear from those who make the decision to move without having visited.
Never been before and decided to move. Can't see the problem, and, in fact, I see more of a problem with reccie trips and holidays as they can give a biased view of the country.....not always, but there is a risk. To me, there is no right or wrong, and no guarantee of success in having visited before or not, whether you travel with all your belongings or next to none, or any other factors. We're all different and what works for one might not work for another, but there is not just one road to paradise.

Anyway, my adventure has been documented before....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422669
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Never been before and decided to move. Can't see the problem, and, in fact, I see more of a problem with reccie trips and holidays as they can give a biased view of the country.....not always, but there is a risk. To me, there is no right or wrong, and no guarantee of success in having visited before or not, whether you travel with all your belongings or next to none, or any other factors. We're all different and what works for one might not work for another, but there is not just one road to paradise.

Anyway, my adventure has been documented before....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422669

What he said

It would be more interesting to find out what percentage of those that 'reccie'd' want to go back opposed to those that didn't?

(Hello C, how did the move go? )
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:37 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
What he said

It would be more interesting to find out what percentage of those that 'reccie'd' want to go back opposed to those that didn't?

(Hello C, how did the move go? )
Hi Wendy, how's Adelaide at the moment?

Our move went well....we are a 10 minute walk from where we were before
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you back.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide is fab thanks. Gonna have some of the wet stuff this weekend, but we need it so I won't complain (yet )

Well no need to move far if you're happy where you are is there? Say hi to Cas for me
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:49 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Nice to see you back.
I pop in every once in a while just to make sure I'm still asteroids champion
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:52 am
Take it easy

Adelaide is fab thanks. Gonna have some of the wet stuff this weekend, but we need it so I won't complain (yet )
We'll see, hopefully I'm coming over for a couple of weeks in January

Well no need to move far if you're happy where you are is there? Say hi to Cas for me
No, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....which is why I always wonder about people moving here who are supposedly happy in the UK.

Cas is behind me at the moment Cas says 'hi' back
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We'll see, hopefully I'm coming over for a couple of weeks in January

No, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....which is why I always wonder about people moving here who are supposedly happy in the UK.

Cas is behind me at the moment Cas says 'hi' back
Oooo, fancy a beer?

Hi Cas, are you coming as well?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Dawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant future

we had a holiday in sydney in 1994, actually won the holiday in a competition, never even thought about moving out here til xmas 2006 and my brother in law seen a ad in local paper saying if you have skills you can get a visa to oz
He told hubby, hubby came home said u fancy moving to oz, i said yeah honey, thinking it be like those outside lights id been asking him to put up for past 8 years, will never see the light of day, jan 2007 we appointed an agent and by aug 2007 we had the visa and moved out in april 2008, been here almost 7 months and love it, it was a mad rushed decision for us, didnt even think of a reccie,dint have time to think about much to be honest, knew adelaide was for us after loads research and its just worked out for us, been lucky i guess

Dawn x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.