Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have Visa, but potentially not going :-(

Originally Posted by flanagaj
I will reiterate for the third time! It is expensive even if you dont take into account the exchange rate.

If you took the time to read all of the posts you will see that other forumites find it expensive.

As to not getting a true picture when on a 3 week holiday. Are caviar and champers not the order of the day old chap ?
I think I give up on this, but once more: you cannot get an idea of true living costs until you live in a country. Not by visiting on holiday for sure, and you certainly won't get an idea based on this forum, or any other. There are too many variables. Different parts of Australia vary quite a lot in terms of expense. Different posters have different ideas of what constitutes expensive. Some people spend $500 on a trolley of food at Coles, I fill a trolley for $160. Some people get paid $150,000 a year and complain it's not enough, other earn $40,000 and get by OK. You cannot make an informed decision about a country's SOL or COL until you live there. That's my only point. People on this forum would have had me believe Australia was not viable, but we have a much higher SOL here, with relatively identical income.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Some people spend $500 on a trolley of food at Coles, I fill a trolley for $160.
Bread, milk and potato in the Seneca household then?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think I give up on this, but once more: you cannot get an idea of true living costs until you live in a country. Not by visiting on holiday for sure, and you certainly won't get an idea based on this forum, or any other. There are too many variables. Different parts of Australia vary quite a lot in terms of expense. Different posters have different ideas of what constitutes expensive. Some people spend $500 on a trolley of food at Coles, I fill a trolley for $160. Some people get paid $150,000 a year and complain it's not enough, other earn $40,000 and get by OK. You cannot make an informed decision about a country's SOL or COL until you live there. That's my only point. People on this forum would have had me believe Australia was not viable, but we have a much higher SOL here, with relatively identical income.
Polly removes mods hat.......Total codswallop Of course you can get "an idea" based on this forum. That's what its here for A very large number of posters, a cross section of the community, we have seriously high earners, and we have those who scrape to get by, we have posters from every State and Territory and we have so many threads like this that if anyone seriously wants to know about prices they can spend months reading and digesting the info on here.
Your opinion on the subject is as valid as anyone else's so why don't you just let the OP digest it with all the others instead of thinking you are the only one who knows what living in Australia is like?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

GeordieGeek will become famous soon enoughGeordieGeek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Polly removes mods hat.......Total codswallop Of course you can get "an idea" based on this forum. That's what its here for A very large number of posters, a cross section of the community, we have seriously high earners, and we have those who scrape to get by, we have posters from every State and Territory and we have so many threads like this that if anyone seriously wants to know about prices they can spend months reading and digesting the info on here.
Your opinion on the subject is as valid as anyone else's so why don't you just let the OP digest it with all the others instead of thinking you are the only one who knows what living in Australia is like?
+1
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Bread, milk and potato in the Seneca household then?
Last week we had Thai chicken curry, Swedish lamb stew, linguine with homemade arrabbiata sauce and pine nut salad, gnocchi with pesto and salad, steak and mashed potato with pepper sauce and asparagus and a prawn and chicken paella.

A friend of mine once gold me he and his wife spent at least £120 a week in the supermarket. Incredulous, I asked what he bought that was so expensive, and he really couldn't tell me. It remains a mystery.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The OP can and will do as he pleases. If he chooses not to move to a foreign country and invest in a new life because of what he reads on an internet forum, then that is up to him. I would suggest anyone who makes a decision based on an internet forum with all its inherent inaccuracies and highly subjective points of view probably isn't suited to emigration anyway.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The OP can and will do as he pleases. If he chooses not to move to a foreign country and invest in a new life because of what he reads on an internet forum, then that is up to him. I would suggest anyone who makes a decision based on an internet forum with all its inherent inaccuracies and highly subjective points of view probably isn't suited to emigration anyway.
For the first time in nearly 5 years here I've now put someone on ignore.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
For the first time in nearly 5 years here I've now put someone on ignore.
And for a totally sensible, justified, and inoffensive opinion. How absurd. And also how vain to post it publicly. Off you go.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:51 am
Account Closed

She won't have seen that.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Nov 24th 2010 at 12:53 am.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

She won't have seen that.
Wanna bet? I don't care if she does or not to befair. I've always been polite to her and my post above is inoffensive and a personal view I am entitled to. Her decision is irrelevant to me, but somewhat irrational.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Wanna bet? I don't care if she does or not to befair. I've always been polite to her and this post
check again.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

check again.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spottydog
Probably the biggest difference is that here for fresh stuff the supermarkets are often the most expensive places to shop.

I buy the fruit & veg from the greengrocer and generally what is in season (depending on time of year advocados can range from 25c to $5 each and cucumbers from 50c to $3), meat comes from the butcher where I pay less than $10 a kilo for pretty decent rump. I only use supermarkets for bits that I can't easily get elsewhere (loo rolls, cereals, frozen veg).
Yep....greengrocer & butchers for sure....a lot fresher than the supermarkets too.

The fruit & veg does vary in price a lot depending on availability....I have seen whole trays of mangos for $5 at the greengrocers, for example.....but not every week!

I also thought on the way home tonight about how cheap public transport is. I pay $50 a week for a 1hr commute each way. The station car park is free too. A similar weekly season ticket in the UK would set me back GBP77 & there would no parking at the station.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Yep....greengrocer & butchers for sure....a lot fresher than the supermarkets too.
It's an old chesnut and its disputed by many, myself included. I don't find either of them any cheaper and definitely no fresher.

I also thought on the way home tonight about how cheap public transport is. I pay $50 a week for a 1hr commute each way. The station car park is free too. A similar weekly season ticket in the UK would set me back GBP77 & there would no parking at the station
No arguement there. Trains are cheap.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by medwaymark

The fruit & veg does vary in price a lot depending on availability....I have seen whole trays of mangos for $5 at the greengrocers, for example.....but not every week!

I also thought on the way home tonight about how cheap public transport is. I pay $50 a week for a 1hr commute each way. The station car park is free too. A similar weekly season ticket in the UK would set me back GBP77 & there would no parking at the station.
We use two independent greengrocers and we also use a butchers and a fishmonger and all of them offer better and cheaper stuff than the supermarkets, although I feel Coles in particular is catching up to them slowly, which is a shame because when they do they'l put them out of business like happened in Britain many years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.