Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To have a leaving party or not!!

To have a leaving party or not!!

Old May 16th 2004, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To have a leaving party or not!!

Tell me your experiences.
I think we have decided not to as it will be very emotonal and it will be difficult to speak properly to everyone. But should we change our minds?
Not got long tho as we leave for Brisbane 30 June.:scared:
Old May 16th 2004, 5:20 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: To have a leaving party or not!!

Originally posted by Gryff
I think we have decided not to as it will be very emotonal and it will be difficult to speak properly to everyone. But should we change our minds?
Got to have a party mate. It's the best chance of getting everyone together at one time and saying goobye rather than doing it piecemeal and then not having the time to see everyone.

Besides, it'll be a good piss up.

Old May 16th 2004, 5:51 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Kentish Man
it'll be a good piss up.
right, i'm having one!

Old May 16th 2004, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kentish Man
Got to have a party mate. It's the best chance of getting everyone together at one time and saying goobye rather than doing it piecemeal and then not having the time to see everyone.

Besides, it'll be a good piss up.

Hmm still thinking about it. Thanks for your advice tho.
Old May 16th 2004, 6:44 pm
ceinwen

We are having ours next weekend .Very informal open house for friends only (have seen family already).
We wanted to see everyone before we left but dont have the time to do a proper party .We also have several cuboards of alcohol to get through !!!

Old May 16th 2004, 6:50 pm
Go Banana's !!

We're different on this subject, feel a leaving party is not a good idea on three counts:

1. Far too emotional and makes it harder to go as you are seeing everyone in a party mood
2. You may not get a chance to speak to everyone. I've been to countless weddings were so many bride and grooms have spent the whole night apologising for not being able to speak to you.
3. Spend the money on a house warming party in Oz getting to know new friends

This is just how WE feel about the whole thing and we are going around visiting all our frinds individually and saying goodbye to them. In most cases we are staying with them so can spend some real time with them. Additional it's lots of great weekends away as we have friends and family in Cambridge, Torquay, Oxford, Cotswolds, South Wales, Liverpool etc etc..........

We are however giving our daughter (6) a leaving party for all her school friends and are doing party bags for them with paper and envelopes in so they can write to her and putting in a picture of her with her e-mail and address on. (a friend gave me this idea)

At the end of the day it's what you will find that works for you.

Good luck

Jill and Warren
Perth Sept 04

Old May 16th 2004, 7:02 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by WBB
right, i'm having one!

Like you need an excuse for a piss up....

Old May 16th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

have a party!!!

We had our leaving party two weeks ago and it was excellent

We had an Australian (optional) fancy dress and everyone whether dressed up or not had a ball and the best thing was because we had it so early, because we had it 6 weeks in advance there were no tears

We have brilliant memories and loads of photo's

Steph x
Old May 16th 2004, 7:49 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Steph,

That's a brilliant idea. I know when the time comes we'll have a party and I'll be in floods of tears for most of the time so it'll lighten up the mood (that plus the alcohol!!). I think that it'd be best to get the goodbyes over and done with in one go, less painful. All you have to do is make sure you get round to everyone.

I can also see Go Bananas!! reason to leave it till you get to Oz and then have a house warming party but my view is that you only do this once so it's worth the dosh/heartache/boxes of kleenex/valium........ and do both! (any excuse for a par-tay :-) )

D D
Old May 16th 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Weren't sure in beginning but definately want to now as would feel we'd missed something out and not had a good send off otherwise..........

having a good old bbq at local country park, everyone bringing food and drink so not expensive, really looking forward to it now and so is everyone coming!!
Old May 16th 2004, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Jonny DREDD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

I think you should have a party. It might be hard to speak to people but it gets everyone together so you can say goodby.
Also it would be fun and could give you something to remember while you are sitting on the plane.

Yeah, definately have a party

Old May 16th 2004, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We have booked a place for the 14th August and have invited 110+ people to include family and close friends.

Sounds like a great way to say goodbye to and get pissed with a lot of people you get on with.
Old May 16th 2004, 9:43 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gryff
we had a leaving party too. it was great. its true u dont get to talk to everyone, but they dont get to complain that they didnt see u before u went.
its very upsetting saying bye to close friends and family. just think how many times and how long u would be upset for if u went to see each person. it was really hard to visit the people who couldnt make the party. although only a few it was over 4 days. you then start to have second thoughts.
party = short sharp goodbye= plane= oz = happy lol
soapy
Old May 16th 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
We're different on this subject, feel a leaving party is not a good idea on three counts:

1. Far too emotional and makes it harder to go as you are seeing everyone in a party mood
2. You may not get a chance to speak to everyone. I've been to countless weddings were so many bride and grooms have spent the whole night apologising for not being able to speak to you.
3. Spend the money on a house warming party in Oz getting to know new friends

This is just how WE feel about the whole thing and we are going around visiting all our frinds individually and saying goodbye to them. In most cases we are staying with them so can spend some real time with them. Additional it's lots of great weekends away as we have friends and family in Cambridge, Torquay, Oxford, Cotswolds, South Wales, Liverpool etc etc..........

We are however giving our daughter (6) a leaving party for all her school friends and are doing party bags for them with paper and envelopes in so they can write to her and putting in a picture of her with her e-mail and address on. (a friend gave me this idea)

At the end of the day it's what you will find that works for you.

Good luck

Jill and Warren
Perth Sept 04
Well you certainly seem to think more like I do! They were our reasons for not going for the party idea. This way we can have lots of little parties! Still un-decided but don't think I can be bothered to arrange a party either....now if someone did it for us...brilliant!

Love the idea for the kids...we had already planned to do them a leaving/early birthday party but the idea of the pic's and email address is brill, I will def do that.

Good luck in Perth...I can't believe how many people are going through what we are going through. Makes me feel more normal when I get on here!
Old May 16th 2004, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by soapy
we had a leaving party too. it was great. its true u dont get to talk to everyone, but they dont get to complain that they didnt see u before u went.
its very upsetting saying bye to close friends and family. just think how many times and how long u would be upset for if u went to see each person. it was really hard to visit the people who couldnt make the party. although only a few it was over 4 days. you then start to have second thoughts.
party = short sharp goodbye= plane= oz = happy lol
soapy
Hmmm now you got me thinking again!...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.