Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have I got my visa or not - HELP!!

Have I got my visa or not - HELP!!

Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light
Default Have I got my visa or not - HELP!!

I have been a bit frustrated about the length of time my visa (136 MODL) was taking and chased my agent up. She chased the case officer and found that she was away until January so we assumed nothing would happen until then.

I was worried as I am going to Sydney on 2nd Feb and was hoping to get my visa validated then. I can't change my visit to Sydney so my agent suggested that I should arrange a visitor ETA to be on the safe side as we were worried my other visa wouldn't be through in time (and I had resigned myself to forking out for another trip to Oz later in the year to validate).

Anyway, when I tried to get my visitor ETA online this morning it was refused and the reason given was that there was already a visa in my name and the following details were given:

ETA expiry date: 20th Dec 2011
Period of stay: Indefinite
No. of entries: Multiple

Does this mean my visa was granted today???? My agent is away until tomorrow so I can't contact her to check! Do I open the champagne tonight or not???

Jules
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I got my visa or not - HELP!!

Originally Posted by JulesM
I have been a bit frustrated about the length of time my visa (136 MODL) was taking and chased my agent up. She chased the case officer and found that she was away until January so we assumed nothing would happen until then.

I was worried as I am going to Sydney on 2nd Feb and was hoping to get my visa validated then. I can't change my visit to Sydney so my agent suggested that I should arrange a visitor ETA to be on the safe side as we were worried my other visa wouldn't be through in time (and I had resigned myself to forking out for another trip to Oz later in the year to validate).

Anyway, when I tried to get my visitor ETA online this morning it was refused and the reason given was that there was already a visa in my name and the following details were given:

Does this mean my visa was granted today???? My agent is away until tomorrow so I can't contact her to check! Do I open the champagne tonight or not???

Jules
Not too sure on that- but sounds promising.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds very promising

Have a promising glass tonight.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Even if your case officer is off, you could try the manager of the section. But I would say its in the bag. Have good xmas in the UK it sounds like your last.

Jo
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:56 am
nearly there

barry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nicebarry f is just really nice

Jules
sounds like it's in the bag. congratulations
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm beginning to think that it must have been granted so I'll have the champagne tonight & another bottle tomorrow when it's (hopefully) confirmed.

Yipeeeeeeee!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:58 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm beginning to think that it must have been granted so I'll have the champagne tonight & another bottle tomorrow when it's (hopefully) confirmed.

Yipeeeeeeee!
Just be careful i'd say till you have the grant letter/email. The electronic ETA could be anything. Your grant letter and evidencing in the passport is your real visa and as it says on all the documentation dont assume anything until your grant letter is presented.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mark213
Just be careful i'd say till you have the grant letter/email. The electronic ETA could be anything. Your grant letter and evidencing in the passport is your real visa and as it says on all the documentation dont assume anything until your grant letter is presented.
I'm sure you're right and I won't assume too much but I'll be a bit cheesed off if it hasn't been granted - the system wouldn't allow me a visitor ETA so this would mean I cannot enter the country even as a tourist!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 3:21 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

I'm sure you're right and I won't assume too much but I'll be a bit cheesed off if it hasn't been granted - the system wouldn't allow me a visitor ETA so this would mean I cannot enter the country even as a tourist!
Its just so annoying that the Agent cant show you the letter instead of having to find out it such an unoffical way! Anyway fingers crossed for you mate.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mark213
Its just so annoying that the Agent cant show you the letter instead of having to find out it such an unoffical way! Anyway fingers crossed for you mate.
Thanks. I'll post tomorrow with confirmation one way or the other!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 3:38 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'll post tomorrow with confirmation one way or the other!
oooh, how exciting. Got everything crossed for you that you get the news you want tomorrow.

Gill
Old Dec 20th 2006, 3:43 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

And get the visa in your passport asap once you know, so you can actually use the thing!

If you are travelling soon, I think you should contact DIMIA anyway and first thing tomorrow (remembering lots of places now 11 hours ahead) and explain the situation as you don't want to be stuck trying to travel without an ETA, no visa in your passport and waiting for the Australian Consulate to get back from their Chrimbo hols to put said visa in passport.

I think I would ask for a reconsideration on the ETA for safety!

Oh and good luck...I hope your visa has been granted.

PS Don't have too many glasses as the office you want to contact probably opens 10pm our time!.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
I think I would ask for a reconsideration on the ETA for safety!
I don't know what you mean by this but legally an ETA cannot take effect if another visa is held. There is no flexibility on this.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:08 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't know what you mean by this but legally an ETA cannot take effect if another visa is held. There is no flexibility on this.
I meant that the OP needs to speak with DIMIA with regards does he have a visa and can it be put in his passport before his date of travel if not he should ask DIMIA whether he could access an ETA.

I don't believe I overstepped anything as I believe I was pretty specific about the OP asking DIMIA.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 5:50 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
I meant that the OP needs to speak with DIMIA with regards does he have a visa and can it be put in his passport before his date of travel if not he should ask DIMIA whether he could access an ETA.

I don't believe I overstepped anything as I believe I was pretty specific about the OP asking DIMIA.

i think JAJ was stating the exact legal status with regards to holding a visa ... ie 'unoffocially' confirming what the OP originally suspected ... not that im putting words in his mouth or anything - but as hw said, you cant hold an eta if another visa is held

congratulations jules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.