Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have I got this correct please re LAFHA?

Have I got this correct please re LAFHA?

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of
Default Have I got this correct please re LAFHA?

I know its another LAFHA question (and I have searched so apologies if I've missed the answer)... but have I got this right please?

I'm just trying to work out how to calculate the LAFHA allowance available??

Have I got it right that when LAFHA is taken off your gross salary, the remaining gross salary mustn't be below the minimum wage that the ATO/Gov say is required for the 457 visa???

eg. Say for arguments sake your gross salary was $50,000 + super, I assume your gross salary would be considered $50k NOT $54500 (basic + super)????? Is that correct?

Then...

If the minimum salary outlined for 457 as stated by Gov is $45,220 (or thereabouts)...

Max available to offset to LAFHA is :-

Basic GP ($50K) - min wage ($45220) = a max amount claimable for LAFHA of $4780per annum.??

So LAFHA = $4780 PA on $50k gross
= $14780 PA on $60k gross
= $24780 PA on $70k gross and so on (whilst remaining within the limitations)

Have I got that right???

Also if the OH works too can they claim LAFHA?

Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:13 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I got this correct please re LAFHA?

First things first ... has your 457 visa been granted?

Are you aware of the new market salary provisions:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/whats_new_457.htm#a ?

Best regards.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

ukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud ofukmouse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
First things first ... has your 457 visa been granted?
No

Are you aware of the new market salary provisions:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/whats_new_457.htm#a ?

Best regards.
Yes - this is where I found the min salary of £45,220.

One other thing... it says that I should be exempt from the IELTS (although I have read the opposite somewhere) because we are UK passport holders - and under the MSL that says
$81 040 for Subclass 457 visa holders who benefit from the English language exemption
whereas I think we would fall in the $45220 bracket.

Now I'm confused!

Last edited by ukmouse; Nov 23rd 2009 at 6:58 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:25 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

$45,220 is only the minimum salary threshold - employers must now address the market salary requirements too.

Best regards.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

$45,220 is only the minimum salary threshold - employers must now address the market salary requirements too.

Best regards.
Hi Alan

Thank for your reply. I suppose what my question is, is can you put through a LAFHA amount that when deducted from your gross salary, the final figure is below the minimum gross salary allowed.

eg.
Salary $50k
LAFHA $10K
New gross salary is $40k and therefore BELOW the allowed gross salary threshold.

Thanks