Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have any of you organised accommodation

Have any of you organised accommodation

Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Default Have any of you organised accommodation

in Oz before leaving the UK ? So that you have somewhere to go to straight away. Any rental homes. I'm not talking about relatives or friends homes. Just a thought because our relatives are getting married and will already be putting up family members and I dont really want to burden them any further with another 3 of us.
Another question. How long did it take to be able to find a rented home ?
Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:14 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have any of you organised accommodation

Originally Posted by LesleyM
in Oz before leaving the UK ? So that you have somewhere to go to straight away. Any rental homes. I'm not talking about relatives or friends homes. Just a thought because our relatives are getting married and will already be putting up family members and I dont really want to burden them any further with another 3 of us.
Thanks
I've been looking at rentals on websites but how do you know if they are ok??

We are going to book into a hotel or cabin for a couple of weeks whilst we look for a rental.

Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:18 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

There's a couple of links in this thread to short term accommodation in Brisbane.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+term+brisbane
Old Nov 20th 2005, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Hi... the minimum rental period ( I have found) is 6 months. We plan on staying in serviced apartments for 2 weeks then hopefully find somewhere in our chosen area in that time.
good luck
(Mrs) Conat
Old Nov 21st 2005, 4:57 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
If you are heading for the Gold Coast why not contact Claire at Gold Coast Smile http://www.goldcoastsmile.com

Lynn
Old Nov 21st 2005, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

You can also try the following link for lots of furnished/unfurnished short/long term accommodation in SE Queensland:

http://www.seqrents.com.au

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hi Lesley, the length of time it takes to find a rental is dependant on where you want to settle, in general the better areas have a shortage of rentals, so its more difficult to find something. People who stay in our rental accommodation generally find that it takes a while to find somewhere if they are looking in the bayside area. Seems that about 4 weeks is average, although it does depend greatly on your expectations & how flexible you are with what you want & where you want to live.

Im afraid to tell you that most people have commented on how many dumps there are for longterm rent around, which of course makes the good ones even more sought after. Unfortunately (in this area at least) estate agents wont even give you the time of day if you are enquiring about rentals unless you are physically there & ready to hand in an tenancy application form (along with a handful of other people!).

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:42 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately (in this area at least) estate agents wont even give you the time of day if you are enquiring about rentals unless you are physically there & ready to hand in an tenancy application form (along with a handful of other people!).

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]
this applied to us aswell we phoned about 8 different estate agents and none of em answered or replied to message we left
luckily rented direct from owner (the only person to answer the phone)
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Thank you so much for all your answers and advice. Much appreciated.
When I get closer to the time on leaving the UK I will now be able to make a decision.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Thanks
I've rented a holiday let for the first two weeks. They are expensive but at least we have a base until we find a longer term let.

Debs
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

stanleygeorge64 will become famous soon enoughstanleygeorge64 will become famous soon enough

have a look at http://www.domain.com.au

They do holiday lets as well as longer term rentals (and sales).
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Thanks
We booked into holiday accommodation for the 1st 10 days. We'll spend this time finding a house to rent etc. etc.