Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has the recession put you off going?

has the recession put you off going?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

mariandyok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: has the recession put you off going?

Originally Posted by G1ZmO
The recession hasnt put us off mostly because we only have one chance at emigrating as I'm 45 in 2010 and thereafter won't have any way of getting a permanent visa.

I'm a LOT worried about leaving a full time job here for the unknown job market in Oz but it might mean that we both have to take lower paid jobs just to get the same income from my job at the moment.

I'm also worried about what seems to be very high house prices in Melbourne in comparison to here.

But, full steam ahead......

Paul
Can you not just validate and go over when you have ridden the recession out?....... I wish we had.....just booking our flights to go back...£30,000 worse off and only one job between us when we get back.....take heed of what people are posting, it is getting quite serious out here, the lesser paid jobs have 100 Australians chasing them too!

good luck
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:42 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mariandyok
Can you not just validate and go over when you have ridden the recession out?....... I wish we had.....just booking our flights to go back...£30,000 worse off and only one job between us when we get back.....take heed of what people are posting, it is getting quite serious out here, the lesser paid jobs have 100 Australians chasing them too!

good luck
Wise words there, but in general people are stubborn and once they get an idea in their heads, it becomes hard to step back and say "is this really a good idea at the moment?"
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Katmac has a spectacular aura aboutKatmac has a spectacular aura aboutKatmac has a spectacular aura about

Hi we have just returned from Perth after validating our visa. We also went with the hope of finding work!! Well i was very lucky and found work Teaching after a week but, unfortunatley it was only part time and my husband who is a carpenter found it very hard.
After 4 interviews in which on all had over 40 applicants he managed to get down to the last 2 or 3 and then missed out. Sole destroying when you want some thing so much. From paper to interview was taking approx 3 weeks some were still just getting to interview stage after 5 weeks which was when we had returned flights!!
We have now decided to ride out the recession and sell our bungalow in the UK before returning.Perth is still beautiful and every thing we want so the dream is still alive. At least we have a better idea of the value of everything.
Lets hope the economy changes for the better as fast as it turned for the worst!!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:35 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

good luck
How many people are chasing each job in the UK ? Are job prospects any better in the UK ?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough

good luck
Yes, I appreciate that we could just validate and come back however
1 - Our son will be just at the starting school age and we don't really want to put him into school here only to take him out again and away from his new school friends.
2 - We need to sell our house here anyway to fund going to Oz and couldnt really afford the extra flights just to validate for 5 people.

Tricky, I know :S

Paul
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by saxtonj
Exactly the same situation as us. no kids, no house, a tiny amount of money(we sold our house years ago and spent the profits....doh!)

But we're giving it a go anyway - Perth for us. I will probably have a fixed term contract set up to go out with, with my current employer which is a MASSIVE bonus, but still got the butterlies and am a little worried.

We fly September we think. Really got to look at booking flights very soon to put a definite date on it.

Good luck to you and yours

James
Yes we are heading to Perth too! and ive just booked flights for early September - so we have a date!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TandC23
Yes we are heading to Perth too! and ive just booked flights for early September - so we have a date!
Who have you booked with and do you have the extra baggage allownace booked? How much were your flights?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by saxtonj
Who have you booked with and do you have the extra baggage allownace booked? How much were your flights?
Will PM you!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

LINZI32 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by G1ZmO
Yes, I appreciate that we could just validate and come back however
1 - Our son will be just at the starting school age and we don't really want to put him into school here only to take him out again and away from his new school friends.
2 - We need to sell our house here anyway to fund going to Oz and couldnt really afford the extra flights just to validate for 5 people.

Tricky, I know :S

Paul
Hi I agree with you theres a ressesion here just like Oz, but i know people here who have been made redundant and been looking for work for the passed 2-3 months and had no luck. I'm currently on maternity leave, my husband does have a job as a Joiner but who's there to say he wont get laid off next week, next month....????? So we could be in the same suituation but over in Oz.

My son will also be starting school in September and really dont want to mess him about if possible...

To validate a visa for 4 people is a lot of money, so might as well just go for it and fingers crossed

Cheers
Old Apr 28th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Hi we are validating in June and will have a look around then, we really do still want to move to Perth but we are worried about getting a job. My eldest boy is 13 and I really do not want to leave it much longer before we go, but, we still have to sell our house I think we will make the decision once we have been over there but you certainly need some guts to go now but fair play to everyone that does
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

mariandyok is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BAY
How many people are chasing each job in the UK ? Are job prospects any better in the UK ?
Well job prospects are obviously a lot better if you've got one already aren't they.....If you haven't got a job in UK then yes come over there is nothing to lose...however, if you have a job and security then think long and hard......And for all those who say "I would rather be unemployed in the sun than UK" I totally agree, It's great on the Gold Coast, I've never been unemployed in the UK tho......but would I give up my £40,000 job for it? NO!

I do believe that in time we would get some sort of employment out here, but like other posters our children are 14 and 17 and also dearly miss their friends, that along with their education being very important I.e. GCSE's and 'A' levels we need to make a decision and get back soonest....plus my wife has been offered her job back......I'll let you know what life on the dole is like in the UK soon.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:05 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The problems with the 'I'd rather be unemployed in the sun' argument are:

1. If you do find yourself in a precarious financial situation then you have no access to public funds to supplement whatever income you might have.

2. There are massive overheads involved in making the actual move itself & setting up - perhaps now is the time to conserve that cash for a rainy day, rather than throwing caution to the wind (sorry, cliche central!).

3. Many people, not all, say they have difficulty securing jobs due to a lack of Aussie work experience. It is surely harder now for new migrants to secure that all important first job. At least in the UK job market you don't have this issue to overcome.

4. It's 6C in Melbourne this morning.

That being said, it's up to the individual to assess their own financial circumstances, but if people have relatively little buffer to play with, I'd say think very seriously about putting your plans on hold.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:48 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
(sorry, cliche central!).
Actually I think you'll find cliche central is over here.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 11:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Wow - it ain't half!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Vash can be quite verbose at times!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.