Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Default Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Hi All

Wondering if the fantastic new hobby that is sweeping parts of the UK has yet reached Oz. Last week a girl in Stowmarket got shot in the foot by happy slappers, apparently the nastier the attack the more amusement it creates?? Friend was attacked in Ipswich a few weeks ago by a bunch of kids, not sure whether it was happy slapping with the addition of the mobile phone, or a normal mugging. Not that the kids have been caught.

Could always carry the electric fly-zapper around incase you got slapped, then you could take it to Oz to catch the mossies. Probably not alot of help when we are seeing the increased incidence of guns here, though.

What would you say is the biggest crime problem in your area of Oz?

Bye for now, going off to learn to become a slapper... Oh, sorry, too late... maybe I'll just learn to be happy instead...

Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Thankfully it hasn't reached Perth & hope it never does! Haven't heard about it in Australia at all yet but my friend in the UK was telling me about it & she's afraid to let her daughter go out now. It's horrible, nasty & bullying!

Loopy
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Seabird
Someone has kicked a hole in a fence a few streets away from us.... !!

Obviously crime does go on, it's just that I don't notice it as much as I did when we lived in Sydney.

Whether it's because there is less, or not, I can't be 100% sure. However, there have been recommendations, locally, for houseowners to begin locking their doors in the area these days.

It all varies between areas, and some areas are MUCH worse than my area ! But that's one reason why I live here

Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:43 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Hi All

Wondering if the fantastic new hobby that is sweeping parts of the UK has yet reached Oz. Last week a girl in Stowmarket got shot in the foot by happy slappers, apparently the nastier the attack the more amusement it creates?? Friend was attacked in Ipswich a few weeks ago by a bunch of kids, not sure whether it was happy slapping with the addition of the mobile phone, or a normal mugging. Not that the kids have been caught.

Could always carry the electric fly-zapper around incase you got slapped, then you could take it to Oz to catch the mossies. Probably not alot of help when we are seeing the increased incidence of guns here, though.

Bye for now, going off to learn to become a slapper... Oh, sorry, too late... maybe I'll just learn to be happy instead...

Hadn't heard of this so did a google search.

Seems this has originated out the "You've been Tango'd" adds of a few years ago and tends to involve women and people less able to defend themselves, as your average 15 year old is hardly going to slap a 6"6' rugby player type, as he/she is likely to have the camera shoved where the sun don't shine.

Does seem to be quite widespread as London Transport police report over 200 incidents in 6 months. Am sure there must be many more that aren't reported.

Hope it NEVER arrives in Australia.

Did find a BBC link that reports the first arrest of a person in Manchester for a suspected happy slap attack. Hopefully this will calm the 'craze' down
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:00 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Forgot to say biggest crime problem in my area is probably "hooning", but its not major, just the odd occasion here and there, and not the nasty type, just kids wanting to show off their cars.

Often leave doors unlocked overnight or when popping down to shops as do most of the neighbours. Although do try to remember to be security concious a bit more now than in the past.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:11 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rhia27
Hadn't heard of this so did a google search.

Seems this has originated out the "You've been Tango'd" adds of a few years ago and tends to involve women and people less able to defend themselves, as your average 15 year old is hardly going to slap a 6"6' rugby player type, as he/she is likely to have the camera shoved where the sun don't shine.

Does seem to be quite widespread as London Transport police report over 200 incidents in 6 months. Am sure there must be many more that aren't reported.

Hope it NEVER arrives in Australia.

Did find a BBC link that reports the first arrest of a person in Manchester for a suspected happy slap attack. Hopefully this will calm the 'craze' down
No this is a new one on me. How long has this been going on? Only been away 7 weeks, what's happening in the UK? Hope it stays there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/art...ticle_continue

Paul
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Hi All

Never heard of it here. I expect that one of these days, these kids are gonna pick on the wrong person & get the sh*t kicked out of them. Hopefully someone will video that and send it round - Either for 'entertaining viewing' or as a cautionary tale!

Worst crime in my area-Probably petty theft I expect.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:28 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

How bizzarre! Fisrt thing I'd heard of it was 10 mins ago when I checked on-line in my old home town news paper - 2 cases this weekend - but the teenagers were caught! Then to come on here and read about it within 10 minutes! Strange - sounds really horrid. The odd thing is the mobile phone bit - if you are caught - there will be no denying the evidence - seems stupid. There are a few sick puppies about! Hope now we've come to Oz we never have to worry about this kind of humilliation and abuse! I'm sure it will be die down soon - then onto something else!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:31 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Happy Slapping?

Never heard of it!
Doesn't sound too good though...
Could you explain a bit more about what it is?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:41 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Scossie
Happy Slapping?

Never heard of it!
Doesn't sound too good though...
Could you explain a bit more about what it is?
It's in this article Scossie http://www.guardian.co.uk/mobile/art...470214,00.html

Paul
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:34 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gajjitt
Bloody Hell!!

Thank God I got out of The UK, & don't have to deal with this sort of braindead scum anymore.
Reading this, and other stuff about GB recently, (notably, Chattyshazza's thread) the whole country seems to be going to the dogs!
I pity the decent people who don't have the points to emigrate!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:47 am
aussie73

Hopefully they will come across a victim who pulls out a gun and does a bit of " happy shooting" in self defence.

Last edited by aussie73; Jun 14th 2005 at 3:50 am.

Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

You can keep your happy slapping - it sounds awful!

Biggest crime problem in our area? According to our latest Crime watch newsletter it was someone stealing a letterbox pole & the concrete block it was set in (although leaving the letterbox itself aparently ) & a guest stealing something from another guests handbag at a birthday party. Friends, who'd have em!

I think this quarters newsletter will probably mention the attempted robbery at the local garage - mainly because the robber got electrocuted whist trying to get in through the roof after the place was shut, not cos anything got stolen :scared: .
Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think this quarters newsletter will probably mention the attempted robbery at the local garage - mainly because the robber got electrocuted whist trying to get in through the roof after the place was shut, not cos anything got stolen :scared: .
Did the robber sue the garage for damages ?

Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:44 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Scossie
Bloody Hell!!

Thank God I got out of The UK, & don't have to deal with this sort of braindead scum anymore.
Reading this, and other stuff about GB recently, (notably, Chattyshazza's thread) the whole country seems to be going to the dogs!
I pity the decent people who don't have the points to emigrate!
Let's hope their parents don't have enough points to emigrate!

A.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.