Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Britain Gone to the Dogs???

Has Britain Gone to the Dogs???

Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has Britain Gone to the Dogs???

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Bring back corporal punishment in schools, then bring back the birch for those unruly teenagers, then bring back national service for those who are still anti-social and if that dont work .....hang 'em.

Anyone who watched that documentry last week 'teacher undercover' (or something) would definatley agree.

Why? Was the kids spelling as bad as yours?
Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:53 pm
Professional Princess

Things get more lenient as the years go by.

Mum remembers the days where you could leave your door open.

I remember the days where I could safely play outside as a child without fear of abduction.

But what I dont understand is if I stood in Central London saying 'Kill all Muslims and non believers of Christiananity' and then proceeded to burn a flag other than a British one, I would be charged for inciting racial hatred.

Yet extremists do that regularly and have burnt our Union Jack and that evil one handed git has preached hatred against our countrymen and said our soldiers should die.

In fact I am watching BBC1 now and witnessing racism against the British in a way that would get us prosecuted should we do the same.

Gone to the dogs - I don't know, moved with the times for better or worse - maybe.

But one sided and unbalanced against certain culture and tradition including our own, definitely.

As a woman married to an Arab man that does not practice his religion and nor has he ever done, I am not being racist, just realistic.

Give power back to parents, teachers, policemen and teach respect for everyone of all cultures and tradition.

Tolerate one another and our beliefs and make the law something to respect and have faith in again.

Then perhaps we could have more faith in the country we live in.

I am so proud to be British, but am the first to admit that changes are needed - and fast.

Old Jul 10th 2005, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pompeywill] bring back the birch

:scared: you sound just like my husband. That was one of his favourite sayings when he was on his high horse. Forgot he was a little s**t when he was a kid

Tracey
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:03 pm
Professional Princess

[QUOTE=tracey.d]
bring back the birch

:scared: you sound just like my husband. That was one of his favourite sayings when he was on his high horse. Forgot he was a little s**t when he was a kid

Tracey

Actually I could do with a birch to play games with.

You can never find one when you need it.

Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

UK & Oz govt's over the years have operated very different immigration policies. UK seems to have taken the view that "people are wealth" and allowed, let's face it, virtually unrestricted immigration: even recently it's allowed all the Eastern European EU ewcomers in, e.g. the fabled "Polish plumber". Oz, on the other hand, has rigorously imposed and, because of its remote location, been able to apply a strigent skills-based immigration policy. All Oz parties and people have been agreed on this, unlike the UK where Labour has seen an advantage in allowing "its kind of people" in by the back door.

Well, what's the net result. To be fair, incomers are generally ambitious and keen. This doesn't actually make them popular with the existing residents. For example, the UK Ugandan Asians started off running corner shops, but the next generation are doctors, lawyers, accountants.

So free immigration=change, distruption, prosperity.
Restricted immigration=stability, stagnation, decline.

Your choice?
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:09 pm
blossom

Well done Merlot for another very interesting post. Tis a pity some people only reply to threads with the intention of being aggressive.

Karma on its way to you.

Blossom

Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
how the world responded to the tsunami tragedy and the horrors of Bosnia.
Srebrenica safe haven? or how about how the world responded to Rwanda - or rather, not responded.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jugsy
sometimes The Daily Mail brigade shout so loud we all believe it: "Britain has gone to the dogs" etc
The media has a lot to answer for.

Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:56 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Storini

Well, what's the net result. To be fair, incomers are generally ambitious and keen. This doesn't actually make them popular with the existing residents. For example, the UK Ugandan Asians started off running corner shops, but the next generation are doctors, lawyers, accountants.

So free immigration=change, distruption, prosperity.
Restricted immigration=stability, stagnation, decline.
So you think that the next generation of skilled migration aren't also doctors, lawyers, accountants etc?

And do you think that the only people that have ever been let into Australia are skilled migrants?

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jul 11th 2005 at 3:27 am. Reason: clarification
Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
And do you think that the only people that have ever been let into Australia are skilled migrants?
Exactly,

Just beacuse the Aussies are famous for their mandatory detention of illegal immigrants doesn't mean that Australia hasn't taken refugees in their hundreds of thousands.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:14 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi M,

I must admit, I was in two minds about even reading this thread. But it's been interesting!

So far, most of the responses seem to have been of the 'Britain is fine', rather than the 'Britain went to the dogs years ago' type. I think that's interesting in itself as, ordinarily, I would expect more of the latter type of response to this kind of question. I think this suggests that recent events have made people rethink the state of Britain and what it means to be British. To answer your question, I think that people would respond as a previous generation did when faced with a situation that demands a certain response. Although it's important to note that the nature of war has changed and I'm not sure what impact that would have.

I think that the British response to the London bombings is universally saying that there is a British culture (with all it's wonderful subcultures) that we value and together we will protect it. We're very, very lucky in that we live in a society which allows us to express differences in how we would choose do that.

I don't know that Britain is somehow less British than in previous years. Advancing years mean you look back at past events with those rose tinted specs on and acquire selective memory - things always seem simpler with the benefit of time.

With specific regard to Australia, I think that Aus and the UK are much of a muchness in the grand scheme of things. What I earn, what things cost, whether I spend my weekends inside or outside are fairly arbitrary; freedom of speech is, to me, priceless (if that doesn't sound too much like a credit card ad!). People all too often lose sight of the bigger picture and I think, for many, that will have come sharply into focus recently.

Play a little Pomp and Circumstance and wave a flag for me.

GG

Originally Posted by Merlot
I have been watching the events of the last few days, the terrible bombings in London and the honouring of those who fought for our freedoms back in WWII.

Heaven forbid that as a nation we ever have to see us going to war BUT do you think that we would handle it in the same way as the generations that lived through WWII?

I have to say since I have come back to the UK I still can't get my head around the large pockets of track suited, work shy males who stoll the streets each day, never lifted a finger to work. Would these men do as my grandfathers generation and line us to enlist?

Would those lovely females out there, who have never worked and started breeding at an early age work in factories 16 hours a day to to their bit for the war effort like my Nan's did?

I see time and time again this culture is one of the reasons why many of you want to go to Australia. Do you feel that as a nation we have lost our community spirit or willingness to work together?

Until I returned to the UK I could not understand why you all wanted to leave, now I have a clearer picture. I am not going to say the UK has "Gone to the Dogs", I have said this before and I know this is not 100% true BUT it has really lost something, not sure what it is. Yes, there are many wonderful things here but I am feeling less and less "British" everyday.

Your thoughts?

Merlot
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:26 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=tracey.d]
bring back the birch

Tracey
I suppose we all had our moments as kids, but the threat of the cane when I was at school generally kept us in order.
I dont remember anyone telling teachers to f*** off like the kids do today.

The good kids are suffering because of the limp wristed left wingers who run the education system refuse to accept the fact changes need to be made before Britain really does 'go to the dogs'.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:29 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Why? Was the kids spelling as bad as yours?
Picking through posts picking out spelling mistakes is a bit pathetic dont you think?

I may have educational problems for all you know, therefore your comments would be very insensitive.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pompeywill]Bring back corporal punishment in schools, then bring back the birch for those unruly teenagers, then bring back national service for those who are still anti-social and if that dont work .....hang 'em.[QUOTE]

.....and if that don't work send them to live with Eatstatic
Old Jul 11th 2005, 8:22 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Merlot
I have been watching the events of the last few days, the terrible bombings in London and the honouring of those who fought for our freedoms back in WWII.

Heaven forbid that as a nation we ever have to see us going to war BUT do you think that we would handle it in the same way as the generations that lived through WWII?

I have to say since I have come back to the UK I still can't get my head around the large pockets of track suited, work shy males who stoll the streets each day, never lifted a finger to work. Would these men do as my grandfathers generation and line us to enlist?

Would those lovely females out there, who have never worked and started breeding at an early age work in factories 16 hours a day to to their bit for the war effort like my Nan's did?

I see time and time again this culture is one of the reasons why many of you want to go to Australia. Do you feel that as a nation we have lost our community spirit or willingness to work together?

Until I returned to the UK I could not understand why you all wanted to leave, now I have a clearer picture. I am not going to say the UK has "Gone to the Dogs", I have said this before and I know this is not 100% true BUT it has really lost something, not sure what it is. Yes, there are many wonderful things here but I am feeling less and less "British" everyday.

Your thoughts?

Merlot
Merlot

What an interesting post! To find out how the UK became the place it is today, I guess you have to look at what's happened to the country over the last 50 years. For those who are interested, here's some of my favorite recommended reading:

'Hope & Glory: Britain 1900-2000', by Peter Clarke (one of the Penguin 'History of Britain' series)

Of particular relevance is Clarke's description of the 10 years after WW2. Despite winning the war, the UK owed millions to the US, rationing persisted for years, and the years 1945 to about 1960 were ones of misery and deprivation for many (while, conversely, Germany started to prosper, and the US continued its boom). The feeling of 'being the underdog' that those years engendered in the UK led to an attitude of self-hatred; this, coupled with the fears about Nuclear armaments, led to the radical, free-thinking 1960s, with people drowning their sorrows in 'never-never' spending & credit card debts. This sharply contrasts with the earlier years of the century, where the vision of 'Empire' was still strong & the Brits felt a sense of pride (albeit often jingoistic & misplaced).

'London 1945: Life in the Debris of War' by Maureen Waller.

1945 was a pivotal year, encompassing as it did the comradeship of war and the disillusionment of peace (which did not deliver the 'good times' that people expected). Reading this one, I could really see where the seeds of the present day apathy, lack of confidence & disillusionment had been sown. One interesting fact that emerged was that the Luftwaffe deliberately bombed the John Lewis department store on Oxford St, to attack Brit morale. Fascinating, but rather harrowing reading, in many ways.

'The Strange Death of Tory England' by Geoffrey Wheatcroft.

Wheatcroft expounds the theory that the UK's rot set in with the Tory party in 1963, when Sir Alec Douglas-Home succeeded Macmillan, and Iain Macleod, with all his bolshy guns blazing, changed the Tory party forever.

Some really fascinating reading there, IMO...

Cheers,
Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.