Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Brisbane's Bubble Burst?

Has Brisbane's Bubble Burst?

Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has Brisbane's Bubble Burst?

An ex-colleague of mine from the UK contacted me yesterday to let me know that he'd had a windfall of around ₤150k (GB pounds!) and was probably going to invest in property in the UK seeing as house prices are rock-bottom.

Jokingly, I suggested he'd be better off investing in somewhere like Brisbane due to the likely future demand for housing etc etc

After thinking about it for a moment, I began to wonder whether Brisbane is now actually in decline due to interest rates, slowing economy etc

No so long ago it seemed like a good place to invest in, but now I'm not sure.

Would somebody in the UK with cash to splash get a greater return by investing in Brisbane property or UK property?

According to domain.com.au, long-term growth for my area is 11.3%. Surely this is better than what could be achieved in the UK?

I'd imagine rental income from this sort of investment in the UK would be around the ₤700 (GBP) per month mark, similar to Brisbane I expect.

Where would you invest your money if you had the choice?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:33 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Brisbane's Bubble Burst?

Originally Posted by tictac
An ex-colleague of mine from the UK contacted me yesterday to let me know that he'd had a windfall of around ₤150k (GB pounds!) and was probably going to invest in property in the UK seeing as house prices are rock-bottom.

Jokingly, I suggested he'd be better off investing in somewhere like Brisbane due to the likely future demand for housing etc etc

After thinking about it for a moment, I began to wonder whether Brisbane is now actually in decline due to interest rates, slowing economy etc

Would somebody in the UK with cash to splash get a greater return by investing in Brisbane property or UK property?

According to domain.com.au, long-term growth for my area is 11.3%. Surely this is better than what could be achieved in the UK?

I'd imagine rental income from this sort of investment in the UK would be around the ₤700 (GBP) per month mark, similar to Brisbane I expect.

tugen near coolangatta
now the motorways finished i expect property prices to rise quicker than any other local area and a damn site better than any area of manchester that i can think of ??

mmm now where did i leave that large bundle of used notes
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
tugen near coolangatta
now the motorways finished i expect property prices to rise quicker than any other local area and a damn site better than any area of manchester that i can think of ??

mmm now where did i leave that large bundle of used notes
This guy's as tight as a duck's arse. I'm sure he squeaks when he walks

I suppose what I'm asking is whether it'd be better to invest in the UK or Brisbane and whether there's anything to stop him doing this?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody posted something interesting on this site a few weeks ago.

You rarely, if ever ,hear anything negative about future property prices from people who own property in any area that you're talking about.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Darwin, Townsville, and any other place in Australia where there are looming resource prospects.

Offshore, Beira, in Mozambique. Riversdale Mining Limited (ASX listed) and CVRD (Brazilian) are moving toward the third largest known reserve of coking coal. All of it will be exported out to Brazil and India (Tata Steel have partnered with Riversdale) via the port at Beira. In excess of 25 yrs worth of exporting.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:40 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

shares ! property is a very average investment in comparison. Shares are much better.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:43 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

seriously though, I'd opt for the UK if I was living there (and intended to remain there). Otherwise he would incur costs exchanging his money to AUD, then he would be exposed to the currency risk, then he'd have more costs changing back to GBP when he's all done with the investment.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of Australia is experiencing a property slowdown. How severe/long this will be is yet to be seen. There are plenty of 'experts' - both in the media and on here - who will tell you otherwise, but we really do not know yet.

Property, like most other investments, should be seen as a long term proposition.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

This is what a friend told me hes in the property game, but dose some time tell stories. Logan & other shires in the south east growth corridor are fast tracking large amounts of land for development, he was saying there are acerage properties that will be sub dividable when fast tracked then you would expect to double your money, if i hade $$ i would look into it GARY
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calNgary
This is what a friend told me hes in the property game, but dose some time tell stories. Logan & other shires in the south east growth corridor are fast tracking large amounts of land for development, he was saying there are acerage properties that will be sub dividable when fast tracked then you would expect to double your money, if i hade $$ i would look into it GARY
Careful around property....brisbane may be ok...but lots predicting stagnant to declining prices ?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Beppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really nice

If you accept that there is a bubble, then it is too late to invest.

Look for the emergence of the next bubble in a different asset class or where a bubble has just popped and undershot the long term trend.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:33 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Property, like most other investments, should be seen as a long term proposition.
Spot on. Over a 7 year cycle the relevance of most of the pro's and con's in this thread for choosing one or the other would have been lost imo.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose what I'm asking is whether it'd be better to invest in the UK or Brisbane and whether there's anything to stop him doing this?
Surely he can't buy property over here (other than new build) if he's not got PR anyway? (FIRB rules)

Rents are much lower per dollar/pound invested in Oz as the ability to offset losses against earned income (which you cannot do in the UK) skews the market.

And I would say the dollar is too strong for Oz property to be cheap for an investor with sterling at the moment, regardless of whether Oz property is going up or down in the short term.

I'd only do it (as we have) if you are buying your future home and have strong reasons for buying a particular property.