Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone transfered their pensions themselves?

Has anyone transfered their pensions themselves?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

RobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant futureRobAndEwa has a brilliant future
Default Has anyone transfered their pensions themselves?

As the title says: has anyone done it themselves and if so how hard was it?

Just been quoted an eye-watering amount (£500+vat) for what must just be a form-filling exercise.

Rob
Old Nov 10th 2008, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Jambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really niceJambo is just really nice
Default Re: Has anyone transfered their pensions themselves?

Sorry can't answer this query but would be interested if anyone knows how to do it. Are you talking about a private pension?
If so, I have a private pension with Prudential and would be looking to transfer to Aussie equivalent when settled
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

I can't answer either but I'm curious as to the replies. I have a company pension. I've seen the adverts for those that'll transfer it for you but like hell am i paying £500+ if its simple enough to do yourself, fingers crossed.

Last edited by tasmas; Nov 10th 2008 at 3:28 pm. Reason: It didn't make sense, and i'm unsure whether it does now
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:08 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tasmas
I can't answer either but I'm curious as to the replies. I have a company pension. I've seen the adverts for those that'll transfer it for you but like hell am i paying £500+ if its simple enough to do yourself, fingers crossed.
It is a very straightforward process. I completed it with no issues when I moved mine a couple of years ago. Once you have had the Aussie company confirm they will accept a transfer from an overseas fund, it just requires a bit of over and back form filling to get the job done. Certainly don't pay someone to do it !
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
It is a very straightforward process. I completed it with no issues when I moved mine a couple of years ago. Once you have had the Aussie company confirm they will accept a transfer from an overseas fund, it just requires a bit of over and back form filling to get the job done. Certainly don't pay someone to do it !
Well thank you downunderpaddy!!! Well, i'll do it myself then

Tracy
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:41 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

I also transferred mine last year. A very easy process and no need to pay anyone any fees! Good luck!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You dont have to do it immediately you have a short breathing space (6 months?) and you do know that if for some reason you need to return to UK you cant transfer it back again if you have PR dont you? Once it's here it stays here until you reach retirement age. Also, if it is a final salary indexed pension you would be wise to get financial advice about whether to transfer it or not.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:44 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Great to hear that the process is easy. Can someone explain exactly what the process is?

- CDM
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:51 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Great to hear that the process is easy. Can someone explain exactly what the process is?

- CDM
Most Oz funds will give you the letters to do it ( Oz super do ). One asks your uk fund the value of the fund when you entered Oz, and the other is a request to transfer it.. Easy as.

You pay 15% tax any increase in value after 6 months.... currently bugger all.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

leggy53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

If its a final salary scheme, then as mentioned tread carefully. Generally speaking I'd leave it here as the benefits built up within them cannot be compared with much else. Only issue to consider is the financial strength of the company who owns it. Many final salary schemes if you have been a member for a good fews years are worth there weight in gold!

To transfer your existing pension to Oz, not sure what the receiving scheme there will require, however all your existing provider here will need is a discharge form signing by you giving details of where they are to send the money to (which provider / scheme)

This form is simply you giving them permission to transfer the benefits. Only thing to check, if transfers like this are done here (UK) then the discharge papers are usually sent with the application form from the receiving scheme which youre applying to join, so easiest way is get the discharge papers now, take with you and chat to someone in Oz within the new pension scheme and send to your UK provider, along with any required applications.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Pete
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by datamile
Most Oz funds will give you the letters to do it ( Oz super do ). One asks your uk fund the value of the fund when you entered Oz, and the other is a request to transfer it.. Easy as.

You pay 15% tax any increase in value after 6 months.... currently bugger all.
We were wondering when you get the valuation for when you entered Oz.

Been here 3 months and not done it yet, so not sure if they can value it historically. I was wondering this as it is very likely going to be a big loss this year, so might be worth keeping in the UK then I understand you can offset the loss against Oz tax (just as a gain will cost you).

I know I should contact the UK company, just wondered how other people have had their valuations done .
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
We were wondering when you get the valuation for when you entered Oz.

Been here 3 months and not done it yet, so not sure if they can value it historically. I was wondering this as it is very likely going to be a big loss this year, so might be worth keeping in the UK then I understand you can offset the loss against Oz tax (just as a gain will cost you).

I know I should contact the UK company, just wondered how other people have had their valuations done .
When I transferred my pension over late last year, I just asked Prudential for a historical value of my funds on the date I landed in Oz. It took a few weeks, but came through eventually.

Cheers

Steve
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RobAndEwa
As the title says: has anyone done it themselves and if so how hard was it?

Just been quoted an eye-watering amount (£500+vat) for what must just be a form-filling exercise.

Rob
I transferred my own and wife's personal pensions and SIPPs. Some were before QROPS and some after. It was more straightforward after QROPS.

All were transferred to our self managed super fund and no trouble in doing so at all. Simply had to request QROPS for our super fund.

Don't be mislead by the companies who charge huge fees for doing this.

Regards
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:40 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Reasonable
I transferred my own and wife's personal pensions and SIPPs. Some were before QROPS and some after. It was more straightforward after QROPS.

All were transferred to our self managed super fund and no trouble in doing so at all. Simply had to request QROPS for our super fund.

Don't be mislead by the companies who charge huge fees for doing this.

Regards
What are all these acronyms?

- CDM
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:19 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
What are all these acronyms?

- CDM
SIPP - Self invest personal pension
QROPS - Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/qrops-list.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.