Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved from NZ to Oz?

Has anyone moved from NZ to Oz?

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:03 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone moved from NZ to Oz?

Originally Posted by Tableland
I lived in some of the places you mention and there were no problems at all. But I suppose that was a while ago now.
Sometimes it can come down to what street you live in and what block of shops you frequent and if you use the train at night, that sort of thing. I'm the first to admit that most residents in these areas are average law abiding people, but there are definitley a higher than average percentage of undesirables in them too.

As I mentioned before, I lived in Maylands for a while and also had no problems. I was aware though of pockets within the area that were a little dubious. I definitely felt less safe in the shopping area there, than where I live now.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 22nd 2007 at 6:17 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:07 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
You won't see a lot of snakes if youy stay in suburbia, but more spiders of course. About the working outdoors thing - Perth can have pretty sustained high temps and working outdoors in that can be tough.
I've never seen a snake, my whole time in OZ. But they do head in to the outer lying suburbs in summer.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:13 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by MandyB
I may be going over to the Gold Coast in November for a holiday so might check out Brisbane, keep hearing a lot about feeling isolated in Perth, i've noticed there's a lot of people going back to the UK on this forum for that very reason. Can anyone compare the heat in Brisbane to the Perth - is Perth generally hotter, i gather Brisbane can be pretty humid
I remember being in Brissy one september and it was like 29c at 6AM! And Humid! Perth would not be as hot or humid at that time on a spring morn. The balmy Brissy nights were great though, and the locals seemed a lot more friendly to me than Perthites.

Personally, (I don't like it too hot or humid), somewhere down the NSW or Victoria coast would be more to my liking, but getting work is of course a major priority for everyone that can't work from home.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I think i have asked this question before but never got a direct answer. We currently live in New Zealand (for the past 18 months) but have been considering moving over to Australia, more specifically Perth. While we are pretty confident that there is plenty of work there (OH is a bricklayer and i am a legal secretary) i was more interested in other folk who have perhaps done the same thing. Is Oz better for them, if so why and how, how do they compare it with NZ. What about if you have kids (we have one son about to turn 9 years old), how would another move affect them - what about the snakes and spider issue - do you see a lot of them.

In all honesty the main reason for moving to Oz would probably be money, wages are not too clever here in NZ, and also as my OH works outside so the promise of more sunshine is also a big plus (the winter here at the moment is fffrreeezing). I find New Zealand to be very very beautiful but having never visited OZ can't compare the two.

So, if there is ANYONE out there who has made this move i would really appredciate getting some feedback. Feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Mandy
Going by the number of Kiwis in Perth, then I would say half of NZ is moving to Australia.
NZ is an economic basket case compared to Australia. An electrical enginner will earn 3 times as much in Perth than in Sheepshaggerland. WA's economy is bigger than the NZ economy.

NZ is a great place to visit but, as it's virtually 3rd world compared to Australia, not a great place to live.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:25 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Going by the number of Kiwis in Perth, then I would say half of NZ is moving to Australia.
NZ is a great place to visit but, as it's virtually 3rd world compared to Australia, not a great place to live.
Many Kiwis move to OZ because they think they will be better off financially. This is NOT necessarily the case, as many soon find out. Howard's IR laws unless repealed will continue to see more workers screwed over.

NZ is NOT a third world country and it is a gross and inaccurate misrepresentation to make such statements. NZ's wages problem vs the cost of living there is due to economic rationalism taken to excess, and buying into the con of globalisation of the marketplace, a path Australia is well and truly on.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Many Kiwis move to OZ because they think they will be better off financially. This is NOT necessarily the case, as many soon find out. Howard's IR laws unless repealed will continue to see more workers screwed over.

NZ is NOT a third world country and it is a gross and inaccurate misrepresentation to make such statements. NZ's wages problem vs the cost of living there is due to economic rationalism taken to excess, and buying into the con of globalisation of the marketplace, a path Australia is well and truly on.
Tell that to the Kiwis I work with who were earning NZD40-60k and are now earning AUD130-200k in Perth. My '3rd world' remark comes from them not me. Many Kiwis I know slate their country for it's lack of opportunities, poor economy, prospects etc. I was there 3 years ago and while I thought it was a great place to visit, one of the best actually, it would be a crap place to live. I couldn't believe how shabby and run down everything looked. The poorly built houses. The shitty cars on the road. The crumbling infrastructure. Auckland, with the population of Perth but the infrastructure for a third of that. The high costs (apart from certain, mainly touristy, things. Oh, and they all sound retarded when they speak. Yep, Nuw Zeelund looks pretty 3rd world to me comrade.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:28 am
Jedi Princess

Tell that to the Kiwis I work with who were earning NZD40-60k and are now earning AUD130-200k in Perth. My '3rd world' remark comes from them not me. Many Kiwis I know slate their country for it's lack of opportunities, poor economy, prospects etc. I was there 3 years ago and while I thought it was a great place to visit, one of the best actually, it would be a crap place to live. I couldn't believe how shabby and run down everything looked. The poorly built houses. The shitty cars on the road. The crumbling infrastructure. Auckland, with the population of Perth but the infrastructure for a third of that. The high costs (apart from certain, mainly touristy, things. Oh, and they all sound retarded when they speak. Yep, Nuw Zeelund looks pretty 3rd world to me comrade.
I Imagine the Kiwis you are referring to are working in a high demand high skills area. I don't deny that the cost of living can in some respects be higher than in OZ but this is due largely to right wing moves by cutting wages in recent years and the ratio of wages to costs has never really recovered.

The NZ economy is a lot smaller than OZ and this also impacts as does its heavy reliance on imports like oil. That said Auckland, Wellington, and NZ as a whole have been placed as better than Perth and Sydney and many other cities/places to live in.

There are many here who feel Oz also has "third world" standards in areas, eg; The inability of WA to supply electricity to meet demands EVERY summer, and the shoddy public transport system most notably at nights and weekends.

And you could at least quit making smartarse remarks about people's accents; it does little to add credibility to your comments.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

I Imagine the Kiwis you are referring to are working in a high demand high skills area. I don't deny that the cost of living can in some respects be higher than in OZ but this is due largely to right wing moves by cutting wages in recent years and the ratio of wages to costs has never really recovered.

The NZ economy is a lot smaller than OZ and this also impacts as does its heavy reliance on imports like oil. That said Auckland, Wellington, and NZ as a whole have been placed as better than Perth and Sydney and many other cities/places to live in.

There are many here who feel Oz also has "third world" standards in areas, eg; The inability of WA to supply electricity to meet demands EVERY summer, and the shoddy public transport system most notably at nights and weekends.

And you could at least quit making smartarse remarks about people's accents; it does little to add credibility to your comments.
Look at the problems that the power companies over there have supplying Auckland with electricty ALL YEAR ROUND because it has a 3rd world power grid. WA is spending $5 billion upgrading it's power transmission and distribution network due to unprecedented population and economic growth.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

[Perth is a beautiful City, Brickie's desperately needed,
As they are here in Bunbury, 2 hours south of Perth,
Denise
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I may be going over to the Gold Coast in November for a holiday so might check out Brisbane, keep hearing a lot about feeling isolated in Perth, i've noticed there's a lot of people going back to the UK on this forum for that very reason. Can anyone compare the heat in Brisbane to the Perth - is Perth generally hotter, i gather Brisbane can be pretty humid
Hi Mandy, this Isolated thing makes me really angry, my son lives in Manchester and feels isolated sometimes.
You can feel Isolated wherever you are, I dont feel the slightest bit Isolated here.
And so what if we are so far away from anywhere, it makes me feel safer.
Its not for everyone, but try it and see if you like.
Denise
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Ashfield is another place to avoid. my son and his girlfriend are there at the moment, looking for somewhere nicer to live.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:38 am
Jedi Princess

Look at the problems that the power companies over there have supplying Auckland with electricty ALL YEAR ROUND because it has a 3rd world power grid. WA is spending $5 billion upgrading it's power transmission and distribution network due to unprecedented population and economic growth.
NZ's power supply problems began when the government deregulated and flogged off the electricity supply services. WA doing the same has done nothing to improve its situation. I'll believe it's working when I see brown outs and blackouts become a thing of the past.

The WA govt have known for years about projected growth figures but failed to act (one reason why property prices have gone through the roof here), just as they have farked around over the state's water supply (and still don't have that essential sorted). Bloody useless!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:43 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by cranni
[Perth is a beautiful City, Brickie's desperately needed,
As they are here in Bunbury, 2 hours south of Perth,
Denise
What's beautiful about Perth? King's park? the Swan river? Cottesloe beach? How many times can you do those? Perth is a city that has bulldozed over much of its old buildings and built characterless eyesores in their place. Adelaide is a far, far, far more attractive city.

Bunbury is a nice spot though.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

What's beautiful about Perth? King's park? the Swan river? Cottesloe beach? How many times can you do those? Perth is a city that has bulldozed over much of its old buildings and built characterless eyesores in their place. Adelaide is a far, far, far more attractive city.

Bunbury is a nice spot though.
Yes Bunbury is nice, and i would not want to live in Perth, but love going to see my family.
But just because its not the right place for you, it is for so many people, so they have to make up their own minds.
None of my business, but why do people stay in places they dont like, and i love sitting in Kings park looking over the City
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:57 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by cranni
why do people stay in places they dont like, and i love sitting in Kings park looking over the City
Commitments, financial and otherwise usually. Well as you live in Bunbury a trip to Perth and Kings park is kind of a treat or break away from your day to day life I guess. But if you lived in Perth you'd soon get sick of all the rabbiting on about how it's some modern day garden of eden or that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.