Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved from Melbourne to Brisbane

Has anyone moved from Melbourne to Brisbane

Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:11 am
Just Joined

morris5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Has anyone moved from Melbourne to Brisbane

Hi. It would be great to hear from anyone who has made the move from Melbourne or any other state to Brisbane and what are your thoughts. We have been in Melbourne for 10 months but dont feel its for us. I have 2 children (8 & 5) and my husband is an Electrician. Any information on good areas/schools would really help. Also if anyone could recommend a removal company. Thank you.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has anyone moved from Melbourne to Brisbane

I've lived in Bris, Syd and Mel. I wasn't a major fan of Mel though so I may be biased. There are probably a few others here who have also moved around a bit.

The best thing about Brisbane in my opinion is that it's more laid back than the bigger two cities. The weather is usually quite good and the people are quite welcoming.

Last edited by Steve2009; Oct 18th 2010 at 6:24 am.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Hi - thank you for your reply. I know we have only been here 10 months but are feeling no where near settled and its just not the Australia we pictured. With having the 2 children i thought it would make it easier to meet people but i am finding it so cliquey. We just feel if we stay here we will end up going home and we dont want to - we are on an adventure!

Last edited by morris5; Oct 18th 2010 at 6:46 am.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:57 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morris5
Hi. It would be great to hear from anyone who has made the move from Melbourne or any other state to Brisbane and what are your thoughts. We have been in Melbourne for 10 months but dont feel its for us. I have 2 children (8 & 5) and my husband is an Electrician. Any information on good areas/schools would really help. Also if anyone could recommend a removal company. Thank you.
Hi

Come to Brissie, fantastic place for families / Kids...
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:06 am
Just Joined

It has been decided we are defo going to Brisbane - Would you be able to tell me some nice family areas. Thank you
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has anyone moved from Melbourne to Brisbane

Hi - thank you for your reply. I know we have only been here 10 months but are feeling no where near settled and its just not the Australia we pictured. With having the 2 children i thought it would make it easier to meet people but i am finding it so cliquey. We just feel if we stay here we will end up going home and we dont want to - we are on an adventure!
I'm a big advocate of Melbourne as everyone knows, however I'm not going to make any comparisons in this thread.

All I would say is -

- 10 months is way too short a period of time to be moving because you're not settled.
- you might find you have identical experiences about feeling settled in Brisbane to those you have had in Melbourne.

BB
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:04 am
ABCDiamond

It has been decided we are defo going to Brisbane - Would you be able to tell me some nice family areas. Thank you
How far from Brisbane CBD are you prepared to go ?
Bayside is one area that is great for families with young kids.

We moved from Sydney to Brisbane, but via the UK

Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I edited my post because I didn't want to be too down on Melbourne, but my experience is that it takes more 'work' to get settled there. The social scene seems so fragmented that people keep to their own clique. I have friends who love it, but for me I just like to visit every so often.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has anyone moved from Melbourne to Brisbane

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I edited my post because I didn't want to be too down on Melbourne, but my experience is that it takes more 'work' to get settled there. The social scene seems so fragmented that people keep to their own clique. I have friends who love it, but for me I just like to visit every so often.
I reckon how quickly and easily you get settled is more to do with your own personal situation than your physical location.

BB
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:25 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Thanks for that excellent insight into my personal life. I had no difficulty in Sydney or Melbourne and the circumstances weren't all that different. In fact I had less connections moving to Brisbane and had settled in within weeks. My opinion is that Melbourne is 'hard work' and I'm entitled to it. I don't think I'll be the first or last person to say it either.
Easy tiger!

I didn't mean you personally!

It's just I know of people who have settled easily and people who have not settled in every major Australian city so I don't think that geography is the deciding factor.

BB
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Since living in Victoria we have some good friends and have a social life and we had that in England - we come to Australia for the Australian dream of golden beaches, sunshine and the outdoor lifestyle which Victoria doesn't have 5 months of the year.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Gees i only went on here for some advice - im a bit nervous about replying now!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I've deleted my last two responses because they're probably not helpful. Please delete the quote too. Thanks.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Dont delete on my account i really dont mind. How do i delete your quote?
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Dont delete on my account i really dont mind. How do i delete your quote?
It's actually in Buzzy Bee's post.

I think plenty of people do move around a bit after coming to Aus. I've been lucky in that my travels have been funded until recently and I've experienced lots of areas of those three cities. I've decided to travel less for work though and Brisbane is home for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.