Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved From Canada To Australia ?

Has Anyone Moved From Canada To Australia ?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

kbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant future
Default Has Anyone Moved From Canada To Australia ?

Was wondering if any of you have moved from Canada to Australia recently, do you find it comparable ?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 2:35 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved From Canada To Australia ?

Hi!

I lived in Canada for 10 years - in Ontario. Its difficult to compare some things - easy on others.
Cost of fuel - not much different (considering UK prices are 2.5 times as high)
Schools - dont know - dont go to school. But most here have school uniforms
Price of houses - dunno - I never looked at house prices when I lived there. Check out www.realestate.com.au to get some ideas.
Scenery - lots of wide open spaces, which is one thing I loved about Canada. Oz has heaps and heaps of them.
Wildlife - no comparison!
Weather - well I'm in Queensland - sub tropical. Can hardly compare to Canada, except for the summers. If you've ever experienced a real hot, humid summers day in Ontario, you'll know what the summer is like here.
People - a lot like most Canadians I met. Laid back, very friendly - with some very weird people mixed in too.

Basically, I'd be happy to live in either country - if it wasn't for the sub-zero temperatures that Canada experiences for a good portion of the year.

If you want more specific answers - you're gonna have to ask more specific questions.

W.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:19 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Hi!

I lived in Canada for 10 years - in Ontario. Its difficult to compare some things - easy on others.
Cost of fuel - not much different (considering UK prices are 2.5 times as high)
Schools - dont know - dont go to school. But most here have school uniforms
Price of houses - dunno - I never looked at house prices when I lived there. Check out www.realestate.com.au to get some ideas.
Scenery - lots of wide open spaces, which is one thing I loved about Canada. Oz has heaps and heaps of them.
Wildlife - no comparison!
Weather - well I'm in Queensland - sub tropical. Can hardly compare to Canada, except for the summers. If you've ever experienced a real hot, humid summers day in Ontario, you'll know what the summer is like here.
People - a lot like most Canadians I met. Laid back, very friendly - with some very weird people mixed in too.

Basically, I'd be happy to live in either country - if it wasn't for the sub-zero temperatures that Canada experiences for a good portion of the year.

If you want more specific answers - you're gonna have to ask more specific questions.

W.
what part of ontario ?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:31 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
what part of ontario ?

All over. Started out in Mississauga, moved up to Orangeville, then a few other agricultural areas, then joined the Air Force and ended up in Kingston and then Petawawa for 3 years. Did my last 3 yrs in Canada in Toronto.

I earned my nickname!

W.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:54 am
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

All over. Started out in Mississauga, moved up to Orangeville, then a few other agricultural areas, then joined the Air Force and ended up in Kingston and then Petawawa for 3 years. Did my last 3 yrs in Canada in Toronto.

I earned my nickname!

W.
hmmm last 3 yrs in toronto ? north york I wonder, keele/sheppard isnt it ?
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:31 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

hmmm last 3 yrs in toronto ? north york I wonder, keele/sheppard isnt it ?
Black Creek & Lawrence actually. Do I know you from somewhere?

W.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Has Anyone Moved From Canada To Australia ?

I am so happy to have found this thread. We are planning on going to Perth from Oakville, Ontario. I've heard Australia is a lot like Canada. I definatly agree about the temperature, summers are great, even with the humididity but winter is just too long! What about air pollution and crime rates? Toronto has become really polluted in the past few years, in the summer there's a thick green fog covering the city...mmmmm....nice. The crime has also skyrocketed, with guns and gangs, it's out of control, a kid was shot at the funeral of another kid that had been shot!!!! Does anyone know how those two factors compare with Australia?

Cheeky
Old Dec 1st 2005, 3:09 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Originally Posted by nicanjoe
I am so happy to have found this thread. We are planning on going to Perth from Oakville, Ontario. I've heard Australia is a lot like Canada. I definatly agree about the temperature, summers are great, even with the humididity but winter is just too long! What about air pollution and crime rates? Toronto has become really polluted in the past few years, in the summer there's a thick green fog covering the city...mmmmm....nice. The crime has also skyrocketed, with guns and gangs, it's out of control, a kid was shot at the funeral of another kid that had been shot!!!! Does anyone know how those two factors compare with Australia?

Cheeky
Well, I don't know about Perth, but I live in Brisbane and it's lovely! Pollution is not noticeable where I work (10 min outside the city) and even in the city I've never noticed it. Crime does exist - it exists everywhere, but Toronto has a style all of its own. I know what you mean about gun crime.... Where I lived at Black Creek & Lawrence there was a large area nearby known for drugs, crime, etc. You could sit outside in the evenings listenening to gunshots. A bit mad!!!
A store near us (here in Brisbane) got robbed a few days ago - the shop owner was threatened with a stick! I haven't heard of any gun crimes, though I'm sure they do happen. Just not a lot. I can admit to feeling completely safe in the city here - I'm sure Perth isn't much different. Sydney might be a bit worse? Couldn't say.

W.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 3:29 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I was born and raised in Montreal, Quebec and moved to Perth almost 2 years ago now. Love it!

What do you want to know that hasn't been covered?

Siren
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Has Anyone Moved From Canada To Australia ?

Wanderlust, thanks for your reply, I'm glad to here things are better crime and pollution wise. I don't know when you left T.O. but the gang and gun crimes have become an almost daily occurence since this summer.
Siren, I must mention, I laughed for a good five minutes when I first read your "you drive me to the point of insanity...." thingy (I bet there is actually a real name for those, but I don't know it so I'll just say thingy) I have used it often since then (hope you don't mind). I have so many questions, how are the winters down under? Are they more like our November and March weather? How are the schools compared to ours? Do you know if lessons, dance, piano, baseball etc. are comparable to ours? Most importantly, is the feeling more relaxed than it is here?

Thanks for any reply's
Nicanjoe (Cheeky)
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:22 am
Banned

Black Creek & Lawrence actually. Do I know you from somewhere?

W.
I was thinking of the base in downsview. Funny, I dont recall much at black creek / lawrence and I lived at keele / lawrence for 9 years , was it a recent base ?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:31 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

I was thinking of the base in downsview. Funny, I dont recall much at black creek / lawrence and I lived at keele / lawrence for 9 years , was it a recent base ?
Oooohhhhh.....I see where the misunderstanding was! LOL!!! I only did 3 yrs in the forces - in Petawawa, but my time in Toronto was as a civvy. No base at Black Creek & Lawrence.
There was a big Airforce base at Downsview, but it's closed down now. Its been turned into a bit of an industrial/residential estate now.

Nicanjoe - I can't vouch for Perth weather, and I know nothing about the schooling system over here. Hopefully someone else can answer your questions on those issues.

W.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

There was a big Airforce base at Downsview, but it's closed down now
Pope John Paul II did a vigil there back in 2002.....

have not lived in australia or canada but have spent a few months in each visiting family and friends (melbourne in Aus and richmond hill in Ont.)

not sure i could say for sure which country is more relaxed but i've always felt more relaxed in australia. love canada, love going over to visit my friends but they always just seem a bit more uptight (for want of a better word) over there.....

my aussie mates and family are just give it the "yeah she'll be right mate" and get on with it!......

but this is just my personal experience!!!

f
x
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 6:08 am
mamacares

amendoza is on a distinguished road

not sure i could say for sure which country is more relaxed but i've always felt more relaxed in australia. love canada, love going over to visit my friends but they always just seem a bit more uptight (for want of a better word) over there.....

I agree! Been in both Toronto and Melbourne. Both are nice places but have to agree that Melbourne is more relaxed. Both have good educational system. Canadians and Australians are one of the friendliest people I've met. Housing - pretty much the same on rate. Weather, well, that's the thing that turned me off in Toronto. I'm no winter person, really though I don't hate the snow. I guess living almost half of the year in subzero isn't my cup of tea.
By far, its Australia for me....
It's all really a matter of personal choice.

Cheers,
Hannah