Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone mentioned Australia's epic victory in the first test in Sri Lanka?

Has anyone mentioned Australia's epic victory in the first test in Sri Lanka?

Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Got there in the end, OzT.

Warne's piling on the pounds a bit though, isn't he. Probably helps the bowling at first.

Our own Ian Botham looked sharp for a few months, too, in the twilight of his career then the fat got in the way. I see Warnie going down the same route, unless of course his 'niteclub gym exercises' allow him to lose a bit of flab.

Warne actually looks quite trim in the photo I posted and he must be off the slimming pills now after missing a year because of them!

A few days ago, my mother said exactly the same sort of thing as BP pointed out when she said 'he brings a match to life doesn't he'.

I too know people who have met Warne and they say he is a real 'bonza bloke' but it was the less chequered things in his private life that I was really alluding to earlier.

And the Vics are going to win the Pura Cup (former Sheffield Shield) too! Queensland sent the Vics into bat and they made more than 700. There was apparently a bit of spice left over from last year's final when Stuart Law refused to walk and went on to make a century and Queensland won the Cup.

OzTennis
Old Mar 14th 2004, 9:55 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly true Jez

Heres the stats from their test careers

Warne - Strike rate 60.33
Average 25.51

Murali - Strike rate 59.34
Average 22.87

His action is v dodgy but I think all leggies are freaks of nature anyway!!!

PS well played England for the first test against the W Indies.

TT

Originally posted by jezdavies
Murali 'bowls' an almost ludicrous amount of overs. I think he bowled about 80 in this test match alone. It's little wonder he's taken so many wickets and I doubt his strike rate is as impressive as one might think.

As for Warne the person, I've never met him but a guy at my club played somewhere in Hampshire a number of years when Warne was playing county cricket there. From all reports he was a great bloke who was more than happy to help out with junior coaching etc. and nothing was too much to be asked of him.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Not exactly true Jez

Heres the stats from their test careers

Warne - Strike rate 60.33
Average 25.51

Murali - Strike rate 59.34
Average 22.87

His action is v dodgy but I think all leggies are freaks of nature anyway!!!

PS well played England for the first test against the W Indies.

TT
Interesting stats - as I said Warne has played more tests, and bowled fewer overs per test so their strike rates come out remarkably similar. Murali is decidedly more economical and I suspect one of the reasons is that Warne bowls 'leggies', top spinners and the odd 'wrong un' - as does Murali but with his deformed arm or wrist or whatever he is also able to bowl 'offies' and hence the more economical figures. I would venture to say that Warne has had some of the best fielders of all time to help keep his average down to that as well.

Ian Healey reports that everywhere he goes people ask him to say 'nice one Warney (Warnie), well bowled Warney etc' which used to come over frequently with the stump microphone.

Yep, well done England too. What did they get the Windies out for - 40 something wasn't it? How did Forest go at the weekend Tricky - we were away and I haven't caught up with a lot of the scores?

OzTennis
Old Mar 14th 2004, 11:55 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Forest got a 3-2 win.

But it was by the skin of our teeth.

This relegation battle aint for me think I had about 4 heart attacks throughtout the game especially when Palace hit the bar in the final minute. Its even beginning to effect my good looks!!!!

Got the big local Derby on Saturday away at Derby.
Should be interesting to say the least.
Not been moved by old bill to a Sunday kicking off at 12 so leaves us a good few hours drinking around Derby for a change.

Also got a huge match Wednesday night at home versus Burnley. One of the few teams below us so thats a must win game to.

Who do you follow OT????
I've always had a soft spot for Aberdeen north of the border.

TT

Originally posted by OzTennis
Interesting stats - as I said Warne has played more tests, and bowled fewer overs per test so their strike rates come out remarkably similar. Murali is decidedly more economical and I suspect one of the reasons is that Warne bowls 'leggies', top spinners and the odd 'wrong un' - as does Murali but with his deformed arm or wrist or whatever he is also able to bowl 'offies' and hence the more economical figures. I would venture to say that Warne has had some of the best fielders of all time to help keep his average down to that as well.

Ian Healey reports that everywhere he goes people ask him to say 'nice one Warney (Warnie), well bowled Warney etc' which used to come over frequently with the stump microphone.

Yep, well done England too. What did they get the Windies out for - 40 something wasn't it? How did Forest go at the weekend Tricky - we were away and I haven't caught up with a lot of the scores?

OzTennis
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Forest got a 3-2 win.

But it was by the skin of our teeth.

This relegation battle aint for me think I had about 4 heart attacks throughtout the game especially when Palace hit the bar in the final minute. Its even beginning to effect my good looks!!!!

Got the big local Derby on Saturday away at Derby.
Should be interesting to say the least.
Not been moved by old bill to a Sunday kicking off at 12 so leaves us a good few hours drinking around Derby for a change.

Also got a huge match Wednesday night at home versus Burnley. One of the few teams below us so thats a must win game to.

Who do you follow OT????
I've always had a soft spot for Aberdeen north of the border.

TT
That will add a lot of spice - relegation battle and a local derby. I know the horse race was named after Lord Derby but why do we speak of a derby between two near rivals?

I follow Newcastle United in England and in Scotland no-one passionately but I have been to quite a few Rangers matches with a friend. Queen of the South are the local team - they're doing fairly well in the 1st Division but I haven't been recently. Aberdeen had a great team in the past and could compete with the likes of Celtic and Rangers until the Scottish game became who has the most money. One Alex Ferguson was their manager when they beat Real Madrid in the Cup Winners Cup Final (don't think it will happen again somehow).

Good luck for Wed and Sat.

OzTennis