Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone mentioned Australia's epic victory in the first test in Sri Lanka?

Has anyone mentioned Australia's epic victory in the first test in Sri Lanka?

Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone mentioned Australia's epic victory in the first test in Sri Lanka?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...594562042.html

OzTennis
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:46 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Warnies not a bad guy after all.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Now I've laid the trap for a bit of 'Friday baiting'! Just wait for the comments about 'ugly winners', obsession with sport, rehearsed and childish celebrations at the fall of a wicket, Warney's penchant for phone calls and slimming tablets, poor opposition, biased umpy, we won the RWC, .................. etc.

OzTennis

P.S. just heard Arsenal to play Chelsea in the Champions League -winner to play Real Madrid or Monaco!
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Bordy
Warnies not a bad guy after all.
Warne is without question one of the greatest bowlers there has ever been. (Statistically he is the second best bowler with Courtney Walsh in his sights). As for his off the field activities - that's another story and I don't particularly like the guy it must be said.

We'll forever remember the 'Gatting ball' - his first in tests in England and the look on Mike's face of you can't possibly have done that.

It's an interesting area about how we sometimes have flawed sporting heroes - every country (even Britain, although that's 4 countries) has had them and has them. I guess 'we' tolerate their flaws because of the success they bring?

OzTennis
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Now I've laid the trap for a bit of 'Friday baiting'! Just wait for the comments about 'ugly winners', obsession with sport, rehearsed and childish celebrations at the fall of a wicket, Warney's penchant for phone calls and slimming tablets, poor opposition, biased umpy, we won the RWC, .................. etc.

OzTennis

P.S. just heard Arsenal to play Chelsea in the Champions League -winner to play Real Madrid or Monaco!
Now I was gonna say that no-one's mentioned it cos 'epic Aussie victories are ten a penny these days", but I'll shut up

I did see the CL draw. Arsenal are favourites for the title now, and Chelsea havent beaten them in 16 games. Even tho I'm a Mersey red I hope they do the treble....
Old Mar 12th 2004, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Now I was gonna say that no-one's mentioned it cos 'epic Aussie victories are ten a penny these days", but I'll shut up

I did see the CL draw. Arsenal are favourites for the title now, and Chelsea havent beaten them in 16 games. Even tho I'm a Mersey red I hope they do the treble....

Just wait until they're back at their PC's down under!

I must say I agree with you on the Arsenal because, despite their reputation of days of old, they now play very attractive and simple football. I reckon I heard the collective groan from West London when the draw was made - as I definitely heard it from Manchester when the FA Cup draw was made! (I liked someone's joke in another thread which will be redundant in a few hours but what's the difference between Leicester City and Man Utd? Leicester are still in Europe!)

I know this will upset you HP but I'm hoping for a 'Mags' double - 4th Champions League spot and the UEFA Cup. The Reds made it hard for themselves drawing but I think there's still plenty left in that tie.

Back to the cricket - this is what wound Warney (the jury is out on whether it should be Warnie or Warney) up. I hope this image posts OK.

How is the cycling going? There are some lovely leafy Cheshire lanes for you and Mr HP to pedal.

OzTennis
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
warne and murali.bmp (196.3 KB, 44 views)
Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:12 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I think Murali is actually the better bowler of the two.

Warne bowls for the best team in the world and never gets to bowl at the best batsmen (his own). He has the backing of a great pace attack which often does the damage and lets him mop up the remains. Murali is the only world class bowler on his team. I actually saw his stats are better than Warne's (strike rate, average etc).

Still think he is a good bowler though.

And remeber a great day at Trent Bridge one year when the whole day was just spent giving Warne stick (the beer took effect). He took it well and came back with some choice remarks of his own.

Guess you either love him or hate him.
To most English I think its the latter.

TT

Originally posted by OzTennis

OzTennis

Old Mar 12th 2004, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by TrickyTree
I think Murali is actually the better bowler of the two.

Warne bowls for the best team in the world and never gets to bowl at the best batsmen (his own). He has the backing of a great pace attack which often does the damage and lets him mop up the remains. Murali is the only world class bowler on his team. I actually saw his stats are better than Warne's (strike rate, average etc).

Still think he is a good bowler though.

And remeber a great day at Trent Bridge one year when the whole day was just spent giving Warne stick (the beer took effect). He took it well and came back with some choice remarks of his own.

Guess you either love him or hate him.
To most English I think its the latter.

TT

Of course some of the jury is still out on whether Murali actually bowls, but you are right, he is one heck of a bowler too. Apparently Warne has played more Tests than Murali but they have bowled a similar number of overs. What do you mean about Murali being against better batsmen - Warne plays all those Ashes Tests.

Warne's defence when caught for the slimming pills abuse must have been that the Barmy Army's incessant 'who ate all the pies' got to him! He loved getting his revenge that time on the balcony of Lords.

I don't think it takes much to guess why England supporters hate Warne though - could be to do with the 500+ wickets.

OzTennis
Old Mar 12th 2004, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Murali 'bowls' an almost ludicrous amount of overs. I think he bowled about 80 in this test match alone. It's little wonder he's taken so many wickets and I doubt his strike rate is as impressive as one might think.

As for Warne the person, I've never met him but a guy at my club played somewhere in Hampshire a number of years when Warne was playing county cricket there. From all reports he was a great bloke who was more than happy to help out with junior coaching etc. and nothing was too much to be asked of him.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 3:08 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jezdavies
Murali 'bowls' an almost ludicrous amount of overs. I think he bowled about 80 in this test match alone. It's little wonder he's taken so many wickets and I doubt his strike rate is as impressive as one might think.

As for Warne the person, I've never met him but a guy at my club played somewhere in Hampshire a number of years when Warne was playing county cricket there. From all reports he was a great bloke who was more than happy to help out with junior coaching etc. and nothing was too much to be asked of him.
with regards murali i think hussains comments in the recent series were spot on and summed up what most people think of his action:lecture:
Old Mar 12th 2004, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

What exactly did Hussain say?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 3:44 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jezdavies
What exactly did Hussain say?
you are a f86748 chucker
Old Mar 12th 2004, 8:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people were commenting that he would be back better than ever because he has had time to let his injuries heal. He is not the brightest cookie but watching him bowl is incredible. Even at the day nighter the whole crowd would go quiet when it was his over.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 6:57 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Got there in the end, OzT.

Warne's piling on the pounds a bit though, isn't he. Probably helps the bowling at first.

Our own Ian Botham looked sharp for a few months, too, in the twilight of his career then the fat got in the way. I see Warnie going down the same route, unless of course his 'niteclub gym exercises' allow him to lose a bit of flab.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 7:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Got there in the end, OzT.

Warne's piling on the pounds a bit though, isn't he. Probably helps the bowling at first.

Our own Ian Botham looked sharp for a few months, too, in the twilight of his career then the fat got in the way. I see Warnie going down the same route, unless of course his 'niteclub gym exercises' allow him to lose a bit of flab.
He is probably on his 2000 can of beans that he brought with him.

Even more important and historic is India's win over Pakistan. 600 million tv viewers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.