Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has anyone had their HGV licence converted without drama ?

has anyone had their HGV licence converted without drama ?

Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice
Default has anyone had their HGV licence converted without drama ?

been in contact with a local training centre in redcliffe area as to swapping my class 1/c+e licence (19yrs at class 2 and 7 at class 1) over to MC here and had a few different stories and they are unsure also... was told to call qld transport(by one of their staff who seems more clued up than most) and ask if they would honour my uk licence to the same qld spec (HC) if i was to go to the training company to upgrade via them. so , has anyone just came here and done the MC course direct or have you had to do HC and then straight into the MC course after that ? ....my only concern is the added cost that may be unneccessary ...its been a costly move to say the least and the tramp that is sleeping on the beach sleeps better than me at night just now ! so any info on what the score is/was and who is the best to call, would be great as its a bit confusing....
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: has anyone had their HGV licence converted without drama ?

Originally Posted by jaca
been in contact with a local training centre in redcliffe area as to swapping my class 1/c+e licence (19yrs at class 2 and 7 at class 1) over to MC here and had a few different stories and they are unsure also... was told to call qld transport(by one of their staff who seems more clued up than most) and ask if they would honour my uk licence to the same qld spec (HC) if i was to go to the training company to upgrade via them. so , has anyone just came here and done the MC course direct or have you had to do HC and then straight into the MC course after that ? ....my only concern is the added cost that may be unneccessary ...its been a costly move to say the least and the tramp that is sleeping on the beach sleeps better than me at night just now ! so any info on what the score is/was and who is the best to call, would be great as its a bit confusing....
Cant answer your question completely but I am at the mo training for my MR (Sorry...I hope you'll still talk to me!) & as far as I'm aware I could have gone straight for my MC (If I could drive one!)

Just as an indication of cost, Its costing me $525 for 4 lessons & a test in an MR...It would be $1140 for 7 lessons & a test in an HR ( obviously you wouldn't need 7 lessons!)

If you havent found it already here is the Qld transport site for HGV

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/home...eavy_vehicles/

Hope that helped
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:13 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jaca
Don't think so, they usually make you do the quick questions at the same time as you change your car and bike license over then you have to still do a driving test on top. All in all comes to around $1,000 to upgrade to B Double.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:43 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Checked with the other half who has his MC. As a UK Class C+E holder, you still have to take the practical HC test here. He did a couple of hours familiarisation then did his test on the Friday and did his MC assessment all day Monday. he went with Ian Watsons at Murrumba Downs and a few other ex-pats have been through there since.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

cheers.....same guys .....awaiting richard to setup dates as i am working mon-friday.