Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone got anything good to say about pool companies?

Has anyone got anything good to say about pool companies?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Has anyone got anything good to say about pool companies?

We're putting in a pool. Having had a few quotes that were just depressing we got a quote today from Blue Haven that ticked all the right boxes. Sales guy was perfectly pleasant, slightly surprised but no drama when I said I wanted to go through the contract with a fine tooth comb without him there before I made a decision, think we've covered all basis re. extras (one of the biggest complaints), what happens if we hit rock, and made sure timescales were written into the contract. Very tempted to sign but ........ I have searched online and nobody has a good word to say about them.

Now, they build thousands of pools every year so must have some happy customers so surely they can't be that bad? High volume will mean the possibility of more complaints, fair enough, but people really do seem to despise them. Has anyone here had a good experience with them (or any of the othe big companies as it seems that high volume=cheap=what we can afford )
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Hullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Has anyone got anything good to say about pool companies?

We are going ahead with Liver-pools. I'd be happy to let you know in about 7 weeks how it went!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

We had ours done by Blue Haven (Brisbane) last year. All went to plan and have not complaints about them.

One thing I would mention, is make sure you have a good idea what you want to do with the area around the pool e.g grass, slabs, concrete, deck etc

This is because when they dig your pool it will finish about 150mm above the ground surface, so if you want it ground level make sure they are aware, it will cost a bit more when they dig the hole, but this will be insignificant compared to having to build up the ground around your pool.

This didn't really bother us because I built a two level deck all around the pool (looks great), but this would have been a nightmare had we been putting slabs/concrete down.

This was for a concrete pool, so can't comment if this would be the same for a fibreglass one.

Blue Haven did mention this, but we just didn't give it the consideration it deserved.

Also have a good think where you want your fence to go and where you want your pumps/filter. The pump/filter are pretty ugly, so try get the out of sight (I boxed our in). I am also having to move the fence because, currently part aluminium part glass and runs around most of the pool, but now we want it all glass and to attach to the house effectively using the house as part of the fence.

Some of these things I've mentioned are much better sorted out at the planning stage rather than after it is done.

Oh yes, one more thing prepare yourself for a lot of mess.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:33 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Just be careful of any hidden costs. A colleague has had a quote, then there has been lots of extras added on after he signed, that he though were included in the quote.

The charged extra for removing a brick BBQ and a small garden wall,
They did not include the removal + tax on the earth.
They charged extra for the temporary safety fencing.

Make sure it all the details like this are included before paying the deposit!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:42 am
ABCDiamond

Not a good word at all from me.......

And if you want a Blue Haven pool you can have mine...... I want a different one !!!

As showdan said "things are much better sorted out at the planning stage rather than after it is done" . The problem is that until it is done, we don't know what needs doing. Something I really need to do is move the pump position, but it is all to complex now. And I can't even build a suitable pump cover because of its location. It is also noisier than the "very nice" salesmen said it would be.

Total costs of associated work, (to be done by others) he estimated to be about $2,000 but was actually $8,000 !

One thing I did learn is to check with your local pool shop about the brands of the pumps etc that are being used. They will know how reliable they are, and what happens in and out of warranty.
My pump died just after 2 years, and it had a 2 year warranty.

The final thing I learned is to go by a personal recommendation from a local. It turns out that the best pool supplier in my area has a very "not" nice salesman/builder, but he gets a very good reputation for his work.

Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:48 am
ABCDiamond

Have you read this...

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtop...45204387a0eb7a

Another thing I recall, is that it took 3 months longer than they said it would.

Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Have you read this...

http://www.notgoodenough.org/viewtop...45204387a0eb7a

Another thing I recall, is that it took 3 months longer than they said it would.
Blue Haven Pools requests the contact details for ABCDiamond
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:31 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Oh... they know me already.... I'd love another call from their manager ...

I still can't work out how a sand filter turned into a cartridge filter !!!

But as they said, I signed the paperwork, and it is my fault that I didn't check that the contract said exactly what I had asked for. Effectively they said, "You trusted our salesperson ?"

Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

In our case it wasn't so much the pool company but their lazy-arsed incompetent contractors. We had nothing but sand around it for ******* ages and couldn't pave it until he came to install the pool heating pipes etc to the roof.

In the end it took a letter to the pool company threatening to sue them for breach of contract - the next day the contractors old man rocked up and did the job, all the while apologising for his lazy son.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I did see notgoodenough, and said so to the sales guy who didn't really know how to respond. For all their forthright reputation I find Aussies very taken aback when you are forthright with them! We're getting someone else to quote tomorrow, BUT to be fair I got a phone call from "the bosses daughter" this afternoon saying the sales guy had told her of my concerns and asking what she can do to reassure me. I've got the phone numbers of three people willing to talk about their experience (good and bad) so you can't say they don't try! Contract law is my thing so I am fairly confident - though I may live to regret saying that - that I know the limit of any possible extras.

Maybe it's worth going with them - the fact that I'm likely to hassle the boss directly if things go wrong might ensure a hassle free build
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:15 am
mmmmmm duff

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I did see notgoodenough, and said so to the sales guy who didn't really know how to respond. For all their forthright reputation I find Aussies very taken aback when you are forthright with them! We're getting someone else to quote tomorrow, BUT to be fair I got a phone call from "the bosses daughter" this afternoon saying the sales guy had told her of my concerns and asking what she can do to reassure me. I've got the phone numbers of three people willing to talk about their experience (good and bad) so you can't say they don't try! Contract law is my thing so I am fairly confident - though I may live to regret saying that - that I know the limit of any possible extras.

Maybe it's worth going with them - the fact that I'm likely to hassle the boss directly if things go wrong might ensure a hassle free build
I'd be interested to know how much they are willing to change their contract and how much you can nail them down. I bet the price goes up as you get more definite with things!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:44 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a good thing to say about pool companies, namely that I've just moved into a house with the pool already there so I don't have to deal with the useless ba**ards again.

Its a sweeping statement I know, but a view shared with most people I know who have pools built.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I've got a good thing to say about pool companies, namely that I've just moved into a house with the pool already there so I don't have to deal with the useless ba**ards again.

Its a sweeping statement I know, but a view shared with most people I know who have pools built.
Spot-on