Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has anyone failed there medicals because theyre diabetic???!!!

has anyone failed there medicals because theyre diabetic???!!!

Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough
Default has anyone failed there medicals because theyre diabetic???!!!

Hi,

I am just wondering as my husband is diabetic whether it is likely we will fail our medicals because of this. Is there anyone else that has had theres and passed??
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

kcsb17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: has anyone failed there medicals because theyre diabetic???!!!

Originally posted by sooz&abby
Hi,

I am just wondering as my husband is diabetic whether it is likely we will fail our medicals because of this. Is there anyone else that has had theres and passed??
Hi,

My hubby is Diabetic (Insulin dependent 20 years) and also has high BP & cholesterol (both drug controlled) and he passed the medicals with no problems. We just had to show that he attends clinics regularly and that everything is under control with no major problems. Quite easy really. He even passed the blood test.
Main problem is the high cost of insulin in Oz. We found this out at our validation trip at Easter. We could be facing bills of A$200+ pm. Got to think long term about any future problems. It may make us decide to stay in the UK where such 'life-dependent' medicines are is all free.

K
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who recently migrated with diabetes, not sure of the type etc. though, so it is possible.
I think (sorry if I'm wrong) a user called Podgypossum might be diabetic... might be worth pm-ing her, she is very helpful.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:11 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

A lot of people worry about their medical, understandably enough, but I can't remember ever seeing anyone saying that they had failed their medical for any reason. Anyone else got a better memory than I? Anyone got access to actual statistics on this?
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally posted by sooz&abby
Hi,

Hi,

I am diabetic too and am hoping to do the medicals shortly.

My understanding is that as long as you have gopt your condition under control and you're not going to cost the Government a fortune you should be ok.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Nessa will become famous soon enoughNessa will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I've just been for my medicals - and will be submitting these next week, I'm an insulin dependant diabetic (24 years). I've been following the posts regarding medicals as you can imagine !

I do see my consultant every six months (I'm very well controlled) so I'm hoping there should be no problems - I'll post as soon as I receive any answer.

Nessa
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:02 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

The only thing that I have read about meds and diabetes is that you may have to agree to a health under taking when you get to Oz and that you only have 6 months to validate your visa. I'm sure that if you have diabetes, the first thing you will do is register with a doctor and who wants to wait around for 12 months to validate visa unless you have special circumstances. Andrew has just been diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic and is taking half a Gliclazide a day and watching what he eats. I'm sure that things will be ok for all of you. Best of luck
Sarah