Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been in this situation?

Has anyone been in this situation?

Old Dec 5th 2004, 9:26 pm
CDT
Forum Regular

CDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really nice
Default Has anyone been in this situation?

Hi, I`ve been browsing the forums for a while and picked up heaps of useful info.
I just have a few questions, and wondered if anyone here had faced a similar situation before.

I`m a divorced guy with two children aged 14 and 9, who live with their mother.

I`ve been in a (very !) long distance relationship with a wonderful lady from Oz for the last few years.
Because she has children too, for us to be together, it means me leaving my kids which I love, or her dragging her kids across the world.

I get on fairly well with my ex, but there is no way she would let them go to Oz, and to be honest I wouldn`t feel it best for them at the ages they are.
(Settled at school, rest of family over here etc...)

So obviously I`m torn what to do......

I just wondered if at some time in the next few years I went to Oz and married this lady, maybe my kids could come over when they were around 18
if its what they wanted to do, then eventually get citizenship and decide for themselves where was best for them.

I understand they are considered dependant till they turn 18 then til 25 if in full time study? (someone please correct me if I`m wrong on any of this)

Would my kids need to be considered to be dependant on me personally (rather than their mother in the UK) before they would get a visa.

If I went to Oz on a prospective marriage visa, and then had the 2 year temp visa, would any children then in Oz get the permanant visa, when I would?

Is it then 2 years after getting a permanant visa they could get citizenship?

Maybe some of these questions might be better in the Immigration forum, but I`d also appreciate hearing from anyone who has had to leave children behind,
or could point me in the direction of relevant posts.

Thanks

Cdt
Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been in this situation?

Originally Posted by CDT

I`m a divorced guy with two children aged 14 and 9, who live with their mother.

I`ve been in a (very !) long distance relationship with a wonderful lady from Oz for the last few years.
Because she has children too, for us to be together, it means me leaving my kids which I love, or her dragging her kids across the world.

I get on fairly well with my ex, but there is no way she would let them go to Oz, and to be honest I wouldn`t feel it best for them at the ages they are.
(Settled at school, rest of family over here etc...)

So obviously I`m torn what to do......

I just wondered if at some time in the next few years I went to Oz and married this lady, maybe my kids could come over when they were around 18
if its what they wanted to do, then eventually get citizenship and decide for themselves where was best for them.

I understand they are considered dependant till they turn 18 then til 25 if in full time study? (someone please correct me if I`m wrong on any of this)

Would my kids need to be considered to be dependant on me personally (rather than their mother in the UK) before they would get a visa.

If I went to Oz on a prospective marriage visa, and then had the 2 year temp visa, would any children then in Oz get the permanant visa, when I would?

Is it then 2 years after getting a permanant visa they could get citizenship?

Maybe some of these questions might be better in the Immigration forum, but I`d also appreciate hearing from anyone who has had to leave children behind,
or could point me in the direction of relevant posts.

Thanks

Cdt
If you became an Australian citizen or permanent resident you could sponsor for a Child migration visa. Look at the information on child migration on the DIMIA website.

Applicants for a child visa need to be single. If 18+, they should normally have been dependent on *you* and not the other parent, as well as being un full time education.

Child visas get a *lot* harder to obtain once one turns 18. .

If you apply for a visa yourself, DIMIA will expect your existing children to do a medical even if not migrating at this stage.

Jeremy
Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:48 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been in this situation?

If you are on good terms with their Mother, why not ask to include them on your application as dependants then bring then on a holiday, (validating their visa's) and then back to Mum. This way, they will be able to come and go as they wish and should they decide to live with you (or just IN oz once they get older) they can attain citizenship.

Best of luck!

Siren