Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Been Refused Visa For Being Overweight?

Has Anyone Been Refused Visa For Being Overweight?

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Saintly1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has Anyone Been Refused Visa For Being Overweight?

Hi All,

This is my first time at posting on here. I've read the threads regularly with great interest and amusement.

My hubby is being sponsored by an Australian company who want him to work for them in Perth. The visa application for all of us has been lodged and today we went for our medicals. The only thing that the Dr. said was that both my hubby and I are overweight (shame on us) and he didn't know what sort of view the DIMIA would take on this. Can anyone tell me if this could be a reason for refusing our applications?

The medicals themselves were fine, and much to the relief of my youngest daughter, neither of my kids had the blood tests, (which was just as well as my youngest had said that there was no way anyone was sticking something in Her arm and taking Her blood). Unfortunately, it wasn't that simple for my hubby, who is a complete wus when it comes to needles and had to lie down on the bed while the Dr. tried to get a blood sample, something that took more than 30mins to achieve and countless puncture holes in his arms, wrists and hands. At one point my youngest asked, 'Why is the Dr. holding daddys legs over his shoulders?' hubbys legs over the Drs shoulders i hasten to add (hubbys not that supple). Eventually, a very pale hubby emerged from behind the curtain, little round plasters stuck all over him. I did suggest we had a go at dot to dot on him, but this didn't go down very well.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Cheers
Saintly1
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:49 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Been Refused Visa For Being Overweight?

Couple of threads you might find useful:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eight+medicals

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eight+medicals

GG
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:11 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Saintly1
Hi All,

This is my first time at posting on here. I've read the threads regularly with great interest and amusement.

My hubby is being sponsored by an Australian company who want him to work for them in Perth. The visa application for all of us has been lodged and today we went for our medicals. The only thing that the Dr. said was that both my hubby and I are overweight (shame on us) and he didn't know what sort of view the DIMIA would take on this. Can anyone tell me if this could be a reason for refusing our applications?

The medicals themselves were fine, and much to the relief of my youngest daughter, neither of my kids had the blood tests, (which was just as well as my youngest had said that there was no way anyone was sticking something in Her arm and taking Her blood). Unfortunately, it wasn't that simple for my hubby, who is a complete wus when it comes to needles and had to lie down on the bed while the Dr. tried to get a blood sample, something that took more than 30mins to achieve and countless puncture holes in his arms, wrists and hands. At one point my youngest asked, 'Why is the Dr. holding daddys legs over his shoulders?' hubbys legs over the Drs shoulders i hasten to add (hubbys not that supple). Eventually, a very pale hubby emerged from behind the curtain, little round plasters stuck all over him. I did suggest we had a go at dot to dot on him, but this didn't go down very well.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments on this.

Cheers
Saintly1
Hi Saintly1

Believe it or not this is the #1 worry about medicals!

Check your BMIs on this site:

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

Popular legend has it that BMIs up to about 35 are OK, over that, & they'll do extra checks on blood sugars, blood pressure etc to make sure there are no 'hidden' health conditions.

Yes, I *know* BMI is a 'blunt instrument' way of doing it, but that's 'the system'. If you are overweight, but reasonably fit with it, I'm sure you will be OK.

When we had our meds, I had spent 6 months worrying about my weight & dieting madly; on the day, the doc was more concerned about hubby being a bit thin!

Best of luck - am sure you will be OK.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

They just want to make sure that you're not likely to be a burden on the healthcare as a result of being overweight. So if you're basically fit - blood pressure isn't sky high etc it'll be fine. I'm not the thinnest either
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Saintly1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Saintly1

Believe it or not this is the #1 worry about medicals!

Check your BMIs on this site:

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

Popular legend has it that BMIs up to about 35 are OK, over that, & they'll do extra checks on blood sugars, blood pressure etc to make sure there are no 'hidden' health conditions.

Yes, I *know* BMI is a 'blunt instrument' way of doing it, but that's 'the system'. If you are overweight, but reasonably fit with it, I'm sure you will be OK.

When we had our meds, I had spent 6 months worrying about my weight & dieting madly; on the day, the doc was more concerned about hubby being a bit thin!

Best of luck - am sure you will be OK.

Cheers,
Anya.
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I checked out the links and our BMI's. I'm just under 35 and hubby's is 36, neither of us have high BP and are both reasonably fit so hopefully everything will be ok. Its just the waiting now and knowing there's nothing else we can do.

Cheers
Saintly1
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:43 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I was overweight when I got meds done......been in Aussie 5 months now and have lost 2 stone wooo hooo.....chill out you will be fine, they r looking for overweight and high BP etc which could pose probs in the future
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:43 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

And that will get the old blood pressure going!

[QUOTE=Saintly1] Its just the waiting now and knowing there's nothing else we can do.