Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

Wikiposts

has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:28 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

Seriously Toni, Bordy has experience, and I'm getting it

Your to kind.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

ajax4779 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g-man
hi can anyone help

we are a young family hoping to move this year, cant decide between Queensland and Victoria . It would help alot if anyone could let us know what it like to live in Geelong ie weather, housing, schools, job opportunities(plumber/gas fitter), social.

We have never been to oz and are taking a gamble so the more info we gather the better.

please help a very confused family to make the right choice

much appreciated G-MAN
Just wanted to say as someone who has lived in Geelong that it is a terrific place to live. [miles better than Bradford anyway] And i for one cannot wait to get back their. Summer in Geelong gets hot but it is also possible to get all four seasons in one day.
Lots of nice places around Geelong to live. Portarlington, Ocean Grove, Lara and Anakie to name just a few. The beach at Geelong is really good with play area and pool for the little kids. If you like to dine out you will find plenty of good and inexpensive places to eat. As i have never lived in Queensland i cannot compare but i think Geelong is a really good place to live for families with kids.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

Its great to hear feedback about Geelong-we've never been there,but I have spent weeks and weeks looking into most of the areas in Victoria-Geelong and surrounding towns gets our vote.As for the weather-my Aussie friend thinks its cold in the summer at 25! Hey! I can handle that! The region also has one of the lowest rainfall averages in Aus.
Whereabouts do you guys live? We're aiming for Belmont/Highton,any info you can forward much appreciated.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amanda5
Its great to hear feedback about Geelong-we've never been there,but I have spent weeks and weeks looking into most of the areas in Victoria-Geelong and surrounding towns gets our vote.As for the weather-my Aussie friend thinks its cold in the summer at 25! Hey! I can handle that! The region also has one of the lowest rainfall averages in Aus.
Whereabouts do you guys live? We're aiming for Belmont/Highton,any info you can forward much appreciated.
Belmont is a really good place to shop these days. It has all the usual I:e K Mart, Coles, Aldi and some good bakeries, Also if you find yourself broke when you arrive, plenty of second hand shops!
From High Street in Belmont to Eastern Beach in Geelong it is only a short drive in one straight line.
My family and friends mostly live in North Geelong with a few scattered around other Geelong areas.
I have been here in Bradford for four years so i supose i am one of those boomerang Poms! England has been a bit of a shock this time round though. :scared: : So hopefully, all being well me, my son, three dogs and one cat will be heading back in June/July.
Geelong is a good place to find any sort of work and you will not be unemployed for long if you are willing to work at anything untill the perfect job comes along. Good luck.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

oooo,I live there!!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wafoo1
oooo,I live there!!!
Wish i still did. When i return i shall never complain about Geelong again. I will even say nice things about Geelong Council!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

Originally Posted by wafoo1
oooo,I live there!!!
Well tell all!!

We are looking at Belmont or Highton.What are you views on the area?

Im in touch with employment agencies so dont see work to be a prob,

We have three boys-6,9 and 10-is it as I think and loads to do with them?

Please tell all!!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amanda5
Well tell all!!

We are looking at Belmont or Highton.What are you views on the area?

Im in touch with employment agencies so dont see work to be a prob,

We have three boys-6,9 and 10-is it as I think and loads to do with them?

Please tell all!!
Belmont and Highton both very nice places to live although my view is that if i could afford to buy a house in Highton i would be also looking elsewhere around Geelong. Somewhere with less people and more space. As mentioned before, Torquay, Portarlington,Also Queenscliffe, Inverliegh,Ocean grove and Meradith spring to mind.
First stop for kids day out would be the You Yangs, great barbeque areas, rocks for kids to climb and you can often spot Koalas ect. Waterworld also good and if you plan on being in Geelong by october take them to the Geelong show. You will find plenty for the kids to do.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ajax4779
Belmont and Highton both very nice places to live although my view is that if i could afford to buy a house in Highton i would be also looking elsewhere around Geelong. Somewhere with less people and more space. As mentioned before, Torquay, Portarlington,Also Queenscliffe, Inverliegh,Ocean grove and Meradith spring to mind.
First stop for kids day out would be the You Yangs, great barbeque areas, rocks for kids to climb and you can often spot Koalas ect. Waterworld also good and if you plan on being in Geelong by october take them to the Geelong show. You will find plenty for the kids to do.

hello it is great to read all messages and i think you have all changed our minds back and are once again looking at Victoria possibly Torquay. I can see light at the end of the tunnel

cheers G-man
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Hello all

I have been reading this thread with great interest, as we too, are moving to Geelong.

We are desperate to find a house out of Geelong centre though and a little more rural, but still with an easy commute to work in Geelong. Can anyone advise me on areas that are affordable, yet can give me at least an acre of land?

Our other obvious concern would be that we could find good schools - our kids will be 8 and 5 when we get there.

Thanks to all of you, in advance.
Michele
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:52 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by g-man
husband has got the map out at the moment looking where torquay is, i cant believe how hard this is as we have never been to oz and dont want to make the wrong choice, thanks for your suggestion

G-man
The best thing about Geelong is that there is lots of great places nearby such as the great Ocean road, some of the best beaches and Surf beaches in OZ and also it is close to Melbourne OZ's second largest city. Many people live in Geelong and work in Melbourne. There are alot of nice scenic coastal towns near Geelong such as Queenscliff, Anglesea, Appollo Bay,
The countryside in green and in winter Geelong gets cold , while in Queensland the weather in warm all year round. Queensland summers are hotter then Victoria's. Perhaps you could rent once you get to OZ then visit both places and then decide where to buy a house and live. You should visit both places yourself rather then rely on other peoples opinions.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 20th 2005 at 7:05 pm.

Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:16 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi g-man

Just back from trip around melbourne. visited Geelong, Ocean Grove, Mornington Peninsula, Yarra Valley, Macedon Ranges and my personal favourite was Geelong/Ocean Grove. Loved the bollards and the shark fins on the Esplanade. Visited Grovedale High School and the teacher who gave us a tour was very passionate about the school and how they look after their children. Surf Beach at Ocean Grove was quite spectacular with the waves, as was Torquay.

Husband & children loved Mornington and the coloured beach huts! Methinks I've got a fight on my hands!!!

D D
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:23 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi g-man

Just back from trip around melbourne. visited Geelong, Ocean Grove, Mornington Peninsula, Yarra Valley, Macedon Ranges and my personal favourite was Geelong/Ocean Grove. Loved the bollards and the shark fins on the Esplanade. Visited Grovedale High School and the teacher who gave us a tour was very passionate about the school and how they look after their children. Surf Beach at Ocean Grove was quite spectacular with the waves, as was Torquay.

Husband & children loved Mornington and the coloured beach huts! Methinks I've got a fight on my hands!!!

D D

Glad you enjoyed it DD. Was good to meet you & family.
Of course now you need to write your own thread telling us all about your trip.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:31 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Glad you enjoyed it DD. Was good to meet you & family.
Of course now you need to write your own thread telling us all about your trip.
Hi bordy, nice to meet you and Mary too!

Had a lovely time at the meet, have got some photos but MrDD has only just downloaded them onto our computer last night. Passed through your neck of the woods to visit Upwey High School and thought how lucky you are. Not sure about a thread yet, getting used to Oz time was a breeze, but getting back to UK time sucks. Woke up at 2am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep!!!

D D
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:33 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

don't go to toowoomba!!!!!!!!!!!!!

far from being hot (it hasn't been over 34°C this summer) it was bloody freezing when i left this morning. 14°C can you believe it!! i actually had to rug up and wear my fleece!!!

i don't live in toowoomba, and i don't wish too. it's full of weirdos, has the highest level of teen pregnancies in australia, and many other interesting facts of that kind i can't remember right now (made ipswich sound positively wonderful). anyway, woomby looks ok from the outside, and that's all it has going for it. oh, it does have a few ok restaurants (the angel cafe, the karingal, and even the gpo does a nice tandoori chicken sandwich).

i expect to be flamed by those people who live in woomby (or t-bar as the weirdos call it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.