Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anybody....................

Has anybody....................

Old May 10th 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all
Default Has anybody....................

who has struggled to sell their house, took out a secured loan on the property to fund the move and then rented the house out till its sold??????

Any advice would be appreciated

Sam
Old May 10th 2007, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anybody....................

I've not, but would a remortgage not be potentially cheaper?
Old May 10th 2007, 11:13 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
Would have thought so - mortgages have long been the cheapest way of borrowing money.
Old May 10th 2007, 11:14 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
I looked at this but remember you need to pay the mortgage whilst in OZ, maybe increase the mortgage and leave some money here to make the repayments until house has sold, although in my opinion you are taking a risk and hoping all works out in a timely manner.

Myself I would just be patient.
Old May 10th 2007, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Brooks
who has struggled to sell their house, took out a secured loan on the property to fund the move and then rented the house out till its sold??????

Any advice would be appreciated

Sam
I haven't, but some friends of ours did. This is what happened:

They moved to Perth Oct 06, on a sponsored visa. Couldn't sell house in time, so they got a loan for 25 thousand pounds (sorry i can't find my pound sign) to fund the move to OZ.
The house was empty for a while, then tennants moved in 1 month later.

Meanwhile, the husband couldn't find work through the sponsor. Christmas went by and still no work, by this time there money was running out. End of January 07 they moved back to UK, back in their house as it never sold!!!

Not sure if they should have stayed longer, maybe they would have if they had sold their home in UK. I do think they gave in too easily.

So make sure you have a job to go to, or else things could go titty up!!
Old May 10th 2007, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies

I know what you mean Paul rachel, friends of ours did a simular thing, but the end to their story was they could no longer pay the mortgage and loan and subsequently their house got repossessed, this was last year and they are still in Oz and have just bought their first proerty over their.

I know its not ideal but just wondered if any one had done it with a positive result.

Sam
Old May 10th 2007, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Brooks
Thanks for the replies

I know what you mean Paul rachel, friends of ours did a simular thing, but the end to their story was they could no longer pay the mortgage and loan and subsequently their house got repossessed, this was last year and they are still in Oz and have just bought their first proerty over their.

I know its not ideal but just wondered if any one had done it with a positive result.

Sam

I'm sure I saw a thread yesterday, where someone said that once they were resident in Oz, and they sold their house there was some issue with Capital Gains tax??! Sorry can't be more specific I didn't pay much attention as we will have to sell ours in order to go! Will try and see if i can find it for you!
Old May 10th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Zigzag
I'm sure I saw a thread yesterday, where someone said that once they were resident in Oz, and they sold their house there was some issue with Capital Gains tax??! Sorry can't be more specific I didn't pay much attention as we will have to sell ours in order to go! Will try and see if i can find it for you!
I found it :

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448675