Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT hardware experts please help me

IT hardware experts please help me

Old Aug 4th 2003, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default IT hardware experts please help me

Hi,

Computer decided to pack in on my return from holiday, on bringing it to work the CPU settings needed changing then everything worked while in work, 3 or 4 time sonce rebooted.

On bringing this home it didn't work, i tried a new laead, new socket etc to no avail. I have brought the pc into work 4 times adn it works here with thier leads and monitor but not mine.

Even without all attachments the hard drive is not turning over, only when I am at home

Anyone if you can advise I would be eternally grateful.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:17 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT hardware experts please help me

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Computer decided to pack in on my return from holiday, on bringing it to work the CPU settings needed changing then everything worked while in work, 3 or 4 time sonce rebooted.

On bringing this home it didn't work, i tried a new laead, new socket etc to no avail. I have brought the pc into work 4 times adn it works here with thier leads and monitor but not mine.

Even without all attachments the hard drive is not turning over, only when I am at home

Anyone if you can advise I would be eternally grateful.

Do you have any lights, either on the motherboard that you can see, or on a network card? I would plug it in a home and check for two things.

1) A buzzing from the power supply (not good)
2) A spinning fan (good).

3) A different monitor!
If you have tried a different socket and cable, it can't be that, and it is very unlikely that your computer will work in one place and not another..

4) Check keyboard lights (will also confirm that the unit has power)

Something to go on anyway...
Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

HI Carrianne,

Not sure if can help but.....

Are we talking desktop or lappy here, I'm assuming desktop as you say you used your works monitor and all was fine

Most machines have a power-on light, if this isn't lit then you have a power supply problem.

I know you have tried other cables/sockets, but I can't for the life of me think what else it could be, if it's OK at work.

When you say "some CPU settings needing changing" what needed changing (BIOS)? and why?

Cheers

======

Sorry, posted this before I see His mighty post. Seems like the same train of thought though.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:32 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nibbs

Sorry, posted this before I see His mighty post. Seems like the same train of thought though.

God: Every time I try to talk to someone it's "sorry this" and "forgive me that" and "I'm not worthy"...
Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:36 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Carrianne
I have brought the pc into work 4 times adn it works here with thier leads and monitor but not mine.
Hmm strange one but I think you should go for the "think Australian" (Or think Mancunian or Liverpudlian hey if were gonna offend anyone here we might as well cast the net) route and nick the monitor and leads from work.

Have you tried taking your monitor and leads to work and see if they work with the works PC
Old Aug 4th 2003, 2:14 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by h garrett
Hmm strange one but I think you should go for the "think Australian" (Or think Mancunian or Liverpudlian hey if were gonna offend anyone here we might as well cast the net) route and nick the monitor and leads from work.

Have you tried taking your monitor and leads to work and see if they work with the works PC
My thought was check fuse ! But this one had me rolling on the floor - just nick em, much easier - great mind.

Cheers for making me laugh - sorry Carianne about the computer
Old Aug 5th 2003, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

darkstone1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

just something you have not mentioned or maybe I wasn't reading it properly, but does the computer make any beeping noises when you switch it on?

this is assuming you have the internal speaker in the case attached to the motherboard. also assuming its a desktop as opposed to a laptop.

if there are beeps and depending on the number of them it may indicate what the problem is. example if there are say 5 beeps it might mean the memory is faulty and your pc won't power up, other numbers of beeps will mean other things.

if you have no power at all then its a good sign either the motherboard is faulty or the power supply.
hope this gets you looking the right direction for starters..

give me a shout if you want a little more help, I build computers for a living, though things like these are a lot easier to look at than diagnosing from a distane.