Reload this Page >

hard to find items in australia

hard to find items in australia

Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

feenat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hard to find items in australia

Hi

i have just watched program on C4 and they said there are alot of items not available in australia which are in the UK ....which got me thinking what food products or general products do you miss that you wish you could get

would love to hear comments on this subject
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In winter a pint of bitter but food wise I do not miss anything other than the local curry house. Even then if I cough up a bit more there a some good local Indian restaurants.

You can pretty much get everything here if you are willing to pay.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:38 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hard to find items in australia

Well having only been over a few months so I havn't really had a chance to miss things to much yet.

Initial observations on supermarkets is that they follow a rather bizarre plan of layout.

We have found gravy powder and it wasn't to bad though it wasn't bisto

Squash (cordial over here) is not the best and we miss the High Juice ones from the UK.

Chocolate such as dairy milk etc doesn't appear to taste the same which I have found a bit of a bonus as I aint eating half as much.

Nescafe over here tastes better than the nescafe in the UK which went "new and improved" and I just found "new and nasty"

There is a really good selection of international food and a lot more mexican stuff in the supermarkets. Meat is cheap and generally good.

Theres a good selection of chips and dips

The Christmas pudding we had was shite though I don't know if was Hevs arn't being a cheap arse or not. Also we couldn't find brandy butter though I have been told that we should be able to find it.

We havn't found an Indian that does Chicken Tika Massala

Generally overall the choice is good and I havn't missed much yet
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:42 pm

Originally posted by HUP
Theres a good selection of chips and dips

The Christmas pudding we had was shite though I don't know if was Hevs arn't being a cheap arse or not. Also we couldn't find brandy butter though I have been told that we should be able to find it.
I eat a lot of leb bread and dips. The Xmas puddings are OK but we made ours for the first time. Very tasty. I will post the recipe some time. In the heat they go well with cold custard.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mr&MrsPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HUP

We have found gravy powder and it wasn't to bad though it wasn't bisto

Take about a tablepoon of your meat fat, mix in plain flour to make paste, add pepper. Slowly add stock made from boulioun cubes/stock cubes made with veg water, mix well, bring to boil and voila - who needs bisto - yuk

and if you get any lumps just stick it through a sieve!!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:12 pm

Originally posted by Mr&MrsPom
Take about a tablepoon of your meat fat, mix in plain flour to make paste, add pepper. Slowly add stock made from boulioun cubes/stock cubes made with veg water, mix well, bring to boil and voila - who needs bisto - yuk

and if you get any lumps just stick it through a sieve!!
Gravy in summer. You have to be mad. I agree with you about bisto. I also add red wine to the gravy for dark meats and white wine for white meats.

Any of you on diets are mad eating gravy.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:17 pm
dazuk

As I am a non maet eater I found the lack of decent vegatarian foods in the supermarkets a real pain. I longed for some linda mccartney/dalepak.Sainsburys vege foods! Also missed decent chip shops and curry houses, amazing how chips cam taste so different over in oz, must be the lard they cook them in

Also really missed marmite, pot noodles!!! and decent crisps such as monster munch, salt and vineger sticks, frazzles etc lays crisps sre f&%king shite sour cream and chives????!!!! pah!!

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:18 pm
dazuk

oh and decent real ale and proper lager VB and tooheys are awful!!!

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:18 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

My Aussie girlfriend watched the show with me and was surprised at the list they showed of what is not available in Australia. She told me to say that you can get Marmite in Australia, it just takes a backshelf to Vegemite, like Vegemite gets here! Also I remember from my working holiday you do get British shops which sell overpriced British food for those who miss it. I bought Irn Bru but then wondered why I bothered paying $3.00 a can for it!

Last edited by joninoxford; Jan 8th 2004 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:21 pm

Originally posted by dazuk
As I am a non maet eater I found the lack of decent vegatarian foods in the supermarkets a real pain. I longed for some linda mccartney/dalepak.Sainsburys vege foods! Also missed decent chip shops and curry houses, amazing how chips cam taste so different over in oz, must be the lard they cook them in

Also really missed marmite, pot noodles!!! and decent crisps such as monster munch, salt and vineger sticks, frazzles etc lays crisps sre f&%king shite sour cream and chives????!!!! pah!!
Now you aren't eating some of the above are you any healthier? Ready meals are not as good here whether you are a carnivore or vege.

Pot noodles were awful. I like some of the Asian instant noodles available and they don't hold back on the chilli.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dazuk

I agree with u, vege food in supermarkets is CRAP over here!!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:24 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by joninoxford
My Aussie girlfriend watched the show with me and was surprised at the list they showed of what is not available in Australia. She told me to say that you can get Marmite in Australia, it just takes a backshelf to Vegemite, like Vegemite gets here! Also I remember from my working holiday you do get British shops which sell overpriced British food for those who miss it. I bought Irn Bru but then wondered why I bothered paying $3.00 a can for it!

Australian marmite is not the same as english stuff, its made by a different company the label is different it tastes like shite.

Is sa me a name only a bit like uk woolworths and aussie woolworths.:lecture:

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:25 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by Lany
I agree with u, vege food in supermarkets is CRAP over here!!

What??? with the huge choice of sanitarium sausages!!!!!

Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by joninoxford
It shouldn't be $3 a can as it's licence made in WA (from girders)

We couldn't find the nicer diet version though.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:23 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

I was in a pub in Colchester a few months ago and was surprised to see bottles of Victoria Bitter (VB) behind the bar. I promptly ordered one as I liked it when I was in Australia, but it was very expensive, £3.00 odd, but I justified it thinking it had to be shipped a long way. I was surprised to find "brewed under license in the UK" on the label!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.