Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

happy and sad... thats what i am...

happy and sad... thats what i am...

Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:56 am
Just Joined

goosesoup will become famous soon enoughgoosesoup will become famous soon enough
Default happy and sad... thats what i am...

Advice for those of you who are coming to australia to get married to an australian. Think about it... and ask your friends first...

Excellent idea and exactly what i'll be doing on the 8th April this year.
We've picked the perfect location and a good time and are really excited.

None of my family are coming over... thats fine they can't afford it - its a long way to come for a wedding and i don't expect my older family members who would love to come to be on a plane for 20 hours plus.

But thats ok, cos I had a backup plan... I went to university in adelaide and i've got friends who live in sydney.

None of them want to come to my wedding... Becuase my sydney friends are mostly net based and don't want to cruel out from the basement.

So as a result, my future wife will have about 30 people on her side and i do not have one on my side yet.

The only good thing is that im still going to get married and it really does show you who your friends are... and IM still going to be *happy*

Last edited by goosesoup; Feb 25th 2005 at 5:58 am.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:58 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: happy and sad... thats what i am...

better put out an invite on here then

think of all those extra wedding pressies....
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:46 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by goosesoup
Advice for those of you who are coming to australia to get married to an australian. Think about it... and ask your friends first...

None of my family are coming over... thats fine they can't afford it - its a long way to come for a wedding and i don't expect my older family members who would love to come to be on a plane for 20 hours plus.

But thats ok, cos I had a backup plan... I went to university in adelaide and i've got friends who live in sydney.

None of them want to come to my wedding... Becuase my sydney friends are mostly net based and don't want to cruel out from the basement.

So as a result, my future wife will have about 30 people on her side and i do not have one on my side yet.

The only good thing is that im still going to get married and it really does show you who your friends are... and IM still going to be *happy*

Really feel for you mate, My hubby and I were in the same situation his family in Australia and mine in the UK (we were living in the UK at the time) so we thought about who's family to upset and where we were gonna have the wedding and after much deliberation decided that we would go it alone so went to Vegas and did it there.

Hope you have a fantastic wedding
Kala
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

If I was you I would elope (how romantic) - just think of how much money you would save in food and booze
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Really feel for you mate, My hubby and I were in the same situation his family in Australia and mine in the UK (we were living in the UK at the time) so we thought about who's family to upset and where we were gonna have the wedding and after much deliberation decided that we would go it alone so went to Vegas and did it there.

Hope you have a fantastic wedding
Kala
Thats exactly what we did,we didnt take anyone not even the kids it was just the two of us (apart from vicar and photographer and the pilot).
Sonja
Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Unhappy Re: happy and sad... thats what i am...

I'm English and my husband is Australian. He's been over here for near on 7 years. We got married in the UK, whilst we had mutual friends at the wedding my family did dominate. My husband only had some of his immediate family over. His Dad etc couldn't even afford to come.

It was a shame, we kept the wedding to a modest size to compensate however had really wonderful day...My hubby wasn't too bothered as he understood that it was a long way for his family to travel and it was his choice to get married here..

Whilst it was hard to decide where to marry, it has been a lot harder deciding where we will settle to raise a family. We are going out to Oz in Nov this year and I will spend some proper time there so that we can decide.

The hard thing about marrying someone from the other side of the world is that you inevitably end up hurting one side of your family.

All the best with your plans
Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

PS...whilst my hubby only had 5 family members we let people sit where ever they wanted for the service, so you couln't tell. We also didn't have the 'standard' family photos either. Its your wedding do it your way...you'll have a great time...your family will understand...all the best
Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

would it not be possible for you when you are married to get a blessing over here so that your family and friends could attend (blessing, renewal of vows something like that) Good luck on your big day
Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:58 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hey goose,
I'd come if I could. I can understand how you feel. Our situation is slightly different in the fact that we have made a decision to get married once we get to Australia but none of our family are invited. As much as I would love to get married here before we leave it just won't be possible. My mum and dad split up a few years ago and won't be able to spend even a few minutes together without any upset. Even if they manage it, my grandad has already told me that him and my nan won't come if my dad is there. After a lot of upset, we have decided that no marriage will take place in the UK. That way there won't be any rows or fights. I feel bad that Andrew's family won't see us get married either. Wasn't an easy decision to make as I'm sure yours wasn't either.
Just remember through it all, you love each other and are getting married to and for each other and not for other people. I hope you both have a wonderful day. Big hugs and karma on its way to you.
All the best
Sarah
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:04 pm
Merlot

Took us 6 weeks to plan our wedding in Oz, I was surrounded by some of hubby's family and friends, none of mine as I had only been in Oz for 10 months.

Strange sort of day I have to say, Dad crying on the phone from the UK twice was a huge thing to handle.

Up side been married 7 years on 4 April. It is what happens after the wedding that is important.

Best of luck for your future together.

Merlot

Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:27 pm
Prodigal Daughter

rachelw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I feel for you. I am Aussie, husband a Brit. We got married in the UK and although some of my immediate family were able to attend, and lots of friends, not everyone was there that I would have liked.

We then went back to Aus and had a celebration for everyone who could not make it to the UK.

But it is only one day. And I would not have swapped it for the world. The important thing is that I married the man of my dreams, and to be honest, the whole day went so quickly that I hardly got a chance to have any decent conversations with anyone.

I guess, it is just something you get through - I still get upset missing significant weddings and birthdays etc. But I guess after September (when we head back to Aus), it will be my husband suffering those pangs of homesickness. We will get through it together. And worst comes to worst, I will just put him on a plane home for a visit, whatever the cost.

I guess I look on the bright side - England and Australia are quite similar culturally - I could have fallen in love with someone from a significantly different culture, religion etc where one of us might have had to have made much bigger sacrifices than we do at the moment.

Good luck - hope you have the most fabulous day.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:32 pm
Professional Princess

14 years ago on the 9th of March, my boyfriend and I had this idea that we should go and get married and avoid the family hassle (family weddings in my family, pass me the valium).

Plus my husband is foreign which at the time would have caused alot of friction had the family been involved.

Got married with a couple of witnesses and then went home and broke my mums heart as I told her. (Something I regret to this day)

Then told Dad.

'It won't last' everyone said, 'He will have you wearing a veil and make you a muslim' others said to me.

Slowly, my family accepted him and grew to love him and now he is their Son.

We had the cheapest wedding in history with nobody there and its my wedding anniversary in two weeks time - 14 years and we have been together 15 years.

All I can say to you is whilst it would be lovely to have your friends and family there, its not in your case perhaps possible.

At the end of the day the only people that matter on your special day is yourself and your future wife.

So go and get married, have a wonderful life because when you wake up in the morning with someone that you look forward to seeing wake up with you, you get excited when you know they are coming home, then you have made the right decision.

Yes, a nice wedding and family are great. But marrying the right person is even better.

Good luck and I hope you will be as happy as my husband and I have been.

Samantha

Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

goosesoup will become famous soon enoughgoosesoup will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: happy and sad... thats what i am...

I love you guys all so much...

Thanks for your words of personal experience, choices & best wishes
It was wonderful this morning to check my email and read what each and everyone of you have said...

Sarah: If you really want to come to my wedding, then feel free to do so... It's being held in a public place anyway

Thanks again everyone... you've made me s m ; ) e

- Goosesoup
- [email protected]
- www.goosesoup.com/gallery
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:23 pm
Professional Princess

I love you guys all so much...

Thanks for your words of personal experience, choices & best wishes
It was wonderful this morning to check my email and read what each and everyone of you have said...

Sarah: If you really want to come to my wedding, then feel free to do so... It's being held in a public place anyway

Thanks again everyone... you've made me s m ; ) e

- Goosesoup
- [email protected]
- www.goosesoup.com/gallery

What you have to do, is after your wedding, you have to have a 'cyber wedding' on Expats.

Post the photos and everything.

We will all be here

Sent you some karma by the way.

Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:12 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
What you have to do, is after your wedding, you have to have a 'cyber wedding' on Expats.

Post the photos and everything.

We will all be here

Sent you some karma by the way.
what about a web cam wedding lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.