Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It happens sooo fast

It happens sooo fast

Old May 3rd 2004, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It happens sooo fast

I can't believe that after only nine months my middle one is already starting to sound like an OZ..

Worse still I can hear myself at times... I even say YEAHHHH NO

The British even sound posh to me now!!!!

I have noticed though that the Scotts always sound Scottish, even after 50 years like our neighbour!! I still can't understand him

Old May 3rd 2004, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: It happens sooo fast

Originally posted by Clare Everest
I can't believe that after only nine months my middle one is already starting to sound like an OZ..

I have noticed though that the Scotts always sound Scottish, even after 50 years like our neighbour!! I still can't understand him

Where were you from originally ?
I left Manchester in 1965, but people are still able to pick me from there quite easily.

Old May 3rd 2004, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from the South, moved around a bit and picked up a bit of Brommie which always comes out when I have a cold. I just sound normal to me it's all the rest that have accents....
Old May 3rd 2004, 9:03 am
ABCDiamond

I am from the South, ... I just sound normal to me it's all the rest that have accents....
ahhh, that explains it

Southerners don't have proper accents, and so need to pick one up somewhere along the line

Old May 3rd 2004, 9:19 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
ahhh, that explains it

Southerners don't have proper accents, and so need to pick one up somewhere along the line

lol so true
Old May 3rd 2004, 9:26 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I lived in Brisbane for a year and have been back in the UK for almost two months now, the other day I was on the phone at work and the guy asked me which part of OZ I was from!!

I tend to say things like 'yeah, for sure' 'no worries' though I've drawn the line at 'G'day mate'
Old May 3rd 2004, 10:03 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mlbonner
I lived in Brisbane for a year and have been back in the UK for almost two months now, the other day I was on the phone at work and the guy asked me which part of OZ I was from!!

I tend to say things like 'yeah, for sure' 'no worries' though I've drawn the line at 'G'day mate'
I have a very good friend who spent a year in Canberra. He says that his 10-year old sounded like a true Aussie before they left but had lost his accent completely before they reach Singapore on the way home!
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:50 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I did the Yeah- no thing the other day and nearly confused myself
Old May 4th 2004, 12:02 am
rudo1ph

I find myself answering "good thanks" to the "how are you?" question. My eldest (7) is still a very prim little english miss, but my 5 year old has started to speak Aussie.....and the youngest.....well she only speaks gobledygook!

Old May 4th 2004, 6:12 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

If your coming to the Village Green on Saturday Clare I promise to speak nice & slow.
Och Aye the noo.
Old May 4th 2004, 6:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
I did the Yeah- no thing the other day and nearly confused myself
I must admit I've not heard that one, it might be an eastern states thing. Like adding "but" at the end of your sentence, but.
Old May 4th 2004, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rudo1ph
I find myself answering "good thanks" to the "how are you?" question.

I am an Aussie living in the UK and find myself saying "Well thank you" these days - we must have swapped identities!

I also have an overwhelming urge to use the word "Cheers" to say thanks for everything!
Old May 4th 2004, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rudo1ph
I find myself answering "good thanks" to the "how are you?" question. My eldest (7) is still a very prim little english miss, but my 5 year old has started to speak Aussie.....and the youngest.....well she only speaks gobledygook!
I have been back in UK 5 months now and still reply with "good thanks" when someone asks me how I am. it dawned on me recently that I don't even know what the 'English' answer is to that question!!! I guess 'good thanks' is now programmed into me for keeps!.
Old May 4th 2004, 6:44 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
I have been back in UK 5 months now and still reply with "good thanks" when someone asks me how I am. it dawned on me recently that I don't even know what the 'English' answer is to that question!!! I guess 'good thanks' is now programmed into me for keeps!.
:scared: Englishman, never been to Oz and I always say that??? :scared:
A friend of mine who spent a year in Canberra told me I would 'fit right in' when I told him I was going. I hope that's not what he meant