Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Handy gadget to have in first aid kit!!

Handy gadget to have in first aid kit!!

Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Handy gadget to have in first aid kit!!

I saw it on This Morning, its call 'ASPIVENIN' Painless relief for bites and stings...its a suction pump that draws out poison, it has 4 different suction ends for different bite sizes....Horse Flies/Biting ants/Spiders/Scorpions/Snakes/Nettles/Jellyfish..... For more info www.flairpath.com

I thought it would be handy to have especially for the kids It did cost £15.00 from boots But well worth it

Sue x
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Handy gadget to have in first aid kit!!

Originally Posted by Sue2
I saw it on This Morning, its call 'ASPIVENIN' Painless relief for bites and stings...its a suction pump that draws out poison, it has 4 different suction ends for different bite sizes....Horse Flies/Biting ants/Spiders/Scorpions/Snakes/Nettles/Jellyfish..... For more info www.flairpath.com

I thought it would be handy to have especially for the kids It did cost £15.00 from boots But well worth it

Sue x
Sue, Thanks. Want one now. You say boots stock this item?.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Sue, Thanks. Want one now. You say boots stock this item?.
Yep it was with all the insect bits 'n' bobs...there are other ones there, but this one had all the attachments...thought it would be best to get

Sue x
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue x
I would run this by St John Ambulance Australia first. According the first aid course I went on the pressure immobilisation bandage is to be used. This shuts off the lymph system which is what poisons use to spread.

http://www.stjohnqld.asn.au/view.asp...stions/default
http://www.toxinology.com/generic_st...slavh_pim.html

Last edited by bondipom; Jul 9th 2005 at 9:22 am.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bondipom
I would run this by St John Ambulance Australia first. According the first aid course I went on the pressure immobilisation bandage is to be used. This shuts off the lymph system which is what poisons use to spread.

http://www.stjohnqld.asn.au/view.asp...stions/default
http://www.toxinology.com/generic_st...slavh_pim.html

I did wonder as I did read up about bites, It was the Doctor on there that was recommending it...thought I would be ok.

Cheers will have a look at links

Sue
Old Jul 9th 2005, 12:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I did wonder as I did read up about bites, It was the Doctor on there that was recommending it...thought I would be ok.

Cheers will have a look at links

Sue
Presumably you would need to use it within seconds of the bite though and how strong would the pressure be?
Old Jul 9th 2005, 2:27 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Presumably you would need to use it within seconds of the bite though and how strong would the pressure be?
At Australia zoo a couple of years ago we were told that snake bites are totally different so I would be wary about this gadget without some local knowledge. Snake poison spreads through the lymph glands not the blood so those old films where the hero sucks out the poison is a load of rubbish. For the record the way to stop snake bites spreading to vital organs etc is immobilisation. So if you get bit on the arm, say, put it in a splint and get someone to tie in to the side of your body before they take you to hospital.

As another example of a little knowledge being dangerous apparently some jellyfish stings can be treated with acid and some with alkili and it is almost impossible to tell the jellyfish apart that require the different treatments. I am told the best thing to do is have a shower as hot as you can bear (or preferably hotter) then let the medics take it from there.
Old Jul 9th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I must admit if myself or someone around me was bitten by something serious I cant see one of the first thing I do is to try to find this gadget I wouldn`t mess around I`d try to get to the experts A.S.A.P!!!.... after my daughter going mad after being stung by a bee, if it helped there its money well spent.

I should imagine the pressure would have to be quite strong to make sure it worked, I`ve had a quick look at its web site and it does seem to have alot of info...will have a good read in a mo.

Sue x
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:38 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit if myself or someone around me was bitten by something serious I cant see one of the first thing I do is to try to find this gadget I wouldn`t mess around I`d try to get to the experts A.S.A.P!!!.... after my daughter going mad after being stung by a bee, if it helped there its money well spent.

I should imagine the pressure would have to be quite strong to make sure it worked, I`ve had a quick look at its web site and it does seem to have alot of info...will have a good read in a mo.

Sue x
This product sounds like the same thing my folks were shown by some Aussie mates. There's is a much simplified version and is just an old syringe with the needle fitment end cut off. They only use it for mossie bites and it only works if you get to the bite as the mossie is still feeding or you've just swatted it. It does work I've tried it myself.
If you manage to trap the mossie inside while feeding they often explode as you draw back the plunger
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:44 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cresta57
This product sounds like the same thing my folks were shown by some Aussie mates. There's is a much simplified version and is just an old syringe with the needle fitment end cut off. They only use it for mossie bites and it only works if you get to the bite as the mossie is still feeding or you've just swatted it. It does work I've tried it myself.
If you manage to trap the mossie inside while feeding they often explode as you draw back the plunger

Does this suction pump come in different sizes.......?

plum....
Old Jul 9th 2005, 11:46 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the plumber
Does this suction pump come in different sizes.......?

plum....
Are the mossies that big down at Kingscliff

They use the same sized syringe as you get in the inkjet refill packs

Last edited by cresta57; Jul 9th 2005 at 11:51 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:21 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cresta57
Are the mossies that big down at Kingscliff

They use the same sized syringe as you get in the inkjet refill packs

Wasn,t thinking of mossies..........
Old Jul 10th 2005, 12:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue x
Learn the pressure immobilsation technique. The bandage has an aid on it that helps you find the right pressure. That will buy you the time to get to the authorities or for them to get to you. Personally I would tell anyone to **** off who was trying to suck poison out of me.