Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hand Tools, Power Tools etc

Hand Tools, Power Tools etc

Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

originalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura about
Default Hand Tools, Power Tools etc

Hi All,

Hoping someone thats out there already can help with this one?

I am a carpenter by trade, but work for myself doing loft conversions and extensions. As such I have a huge selection of (mostly expensive good quality) tools.
Being a site carpenter for many years, most if not all of my power tools are 110v. So my questions are:
Can I use my 110v tools in Oz with a transformer? or will they not let me use the transformer on site? I would hate to have to sell these here and buy new again in Oz as even good quality tools are not worth a lot 2nd hand.

Also I have been told that if any hand tool has rust on it they will not allow you to bring them in without them be treated at a great expense. any one heard this before? my only concern is, if I have been working outside in the rain, I put my hammer in the van at the end of the day, and in the morning it will have rust on it. So I assume that after spending approx 10 weeks in a cold steel container, crossing the ocean and not being used they will be in a similar condition, and I will face a huge fee for treating them.

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:04 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hand Tools, Power Tools etc

Originally Posted by originalfunster
Hi All,

Hoping someone thats out there already can help with this one?

I am a carpenter by trade, but work for myself doing loft conversions and extensions. As such I have a huge selection of (mostly expensive good quality) tools.
Being a site carpenter for many years, most if not all of my power tools are 110v. So my questions are:
Can I use my 110v tools in Oz with a transformer? or will they not let me use the transformer on site? I would hate to have to sell these here and buy new again in Oz as even good quality tools are not worth a lot 2nd hand.

Also I have been told that if any hand tool has rust on it they will not allow you to bring them in without them be treated at a great expense. any one heard this before? my only concern is, if I have been working outside in the rain, I put my hammer in the van at the end of the day, and in the morning it will have rust on it. So I assume that after spending approx 10 weeks in a cold steel container, crossing the ocean and not being used they will be in a similar condition, and I will face a huge fee for treating them.

Thanks
the rust things rubbish mate
they are looking for seeds, vegatable matter, soil
anything tha could bring plant speicies bacterias that are not native to aus
so lawn mowers, golf shoes, wellies and garden gear have to be really really clean,

the 110v stuff, sorry but definatly not on qld sites ( they for some reason dont approve of this method something to do with seperate earths? as a spark it dosnt make much sense but its their rules not mine )
so its all battery or 240v via rcd`s also all your gear thas to be tested n taged ( a bit like pat tested in the uk and its done every 3 months )

regards steve
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

hi steve but could you not use 110 transformer plugged through a rcd
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:20 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah
Maybe this site will help http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...req/index.htm?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:07 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrellandsarah
nope as the 240 and 110 are electrically seperate
if theres a fault on the 110v side it wont trip the 240v side with the rcd
Old Sep 28th 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

originalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura aboutoriginalfunster has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that chaps.....

Looks like I will have to sell it all the power tools here and buy new in Oz (thats gonna hurt) are power tools as expensive in Oz as the UK?

Cheers