Halloween

Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halloween

Originally Posted by Japonica
Awesome! Can't beat good ol' Vincent!

Back in my late teens/early 20s I was sharing an apartment with a friend in hairdressing college. We "borrowed" some of his mannequin heads, painted red around the necks, and stuck them on sticks all around my mom's house. That and a giant rubber tarantula on a string that would fall on the kids at the front door.

The neighbors up the road had the dry ice cauldron, light show, and the adults dressed up as well...and the spooky music.

As for Thanksgiving...I miss it as much as Christmas really. I was back in Canada at this time last year...eating Mac apples (no, not the computer for those of you not in the know), bison smokies, and real pumpkin pie (not the less than Aussie version that I have to make with Kent pumpkins).

Mmm...big turkey dinner washed down with Growers Cider...okay, now I'm homesick...
so what is Halloween about then?

Back in the UK the 31st October was known as Mischief Night when I was a kid (er...a LONG time agao) and we did pumpkin lanterns and cherry knocking and putting fireworks through peoples letterboxes, oh what fun!!

Then it died but it has started coming back again more of the American trick or treat way, with elaborate costumes and Card Shop parapernalia, hence people disliking it because of the commercial aspects of what is not really a known celebration.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo

Back in the UK the 31st October was known as Mischief Night when I was a kid (er...a LONG time agao) and we did pumpkin lanterns and cherry knocking and putting fireworks through peoples letterboxes, oh what fun!!

Then it died but it has started coming back again more of the American trick or treat way, with elaborate costumes and Card Shop parapernalia, hence people disliking it because of the commercial aspects of what is not really a known celebration.
What is it about? Canadian perspective...for kids, dressing up in costumes, getting candy, watching scary movies, parties. Being "scared," whatever that entails. What I remember from the Hallowe'en of my childhood, way back when, was the fun of going through the neighborhood with my brother and buddies after dark, seeing all the candles and decorations, and just having the freedom to go from block to block, before the era of helicopter parenting (obviously we were about seven or eight before turned loose on our own). Our primary school also used to let us dress in costumes on the day and they'd often pile us all into the gymnasium to watch Walt Disney's the Headless Horseman and eat popcorn balls.

For parents, well, it's about the kids, right? Decorating the house, carving the pumpkin, handing out treats, baking, even dressing up. There's quite a few folks who have got the "I'm still a kid at heart" motto when it comes to the holiday and they do amazing haunted houses and host great parties.

People can cry "commercialization" of any holiday and they usually do. Easter cards. Plush bunnies. Christmas OTT craziness--the most overly commercial holiday of all. It's the spirit of it, right? The Hallowe'en before we moved away, my four year-old daughter and I were making little tissue ghosts to hang in our birch tree in the front yard. That was more meaningful that buying a string of lights from the shop and we remember the fun we had hanging them up and playing in the crunchy leaves afterwards.

Last edited by Japonica; Sep 27th 2011 at 5:47 am.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.witchology.com/contents/o...en/samhain.php

Its a traditional Pagan holy day and Witches' Sabbath.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

And the irony is that my Catholic primary school (the only school in town) was the one that allowed us to dress up, eat treats, and watch Hallowe'en cartoons.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:31 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about? Canadian perspective...for kids, dressing up in costumes, getting candy, watching scary movies, parties. Being "scared," whatever that entails. What I remember from the Hallowe'en of my childhood, way back when, was the fun of going through the neighborhood with my brother and buddies after dark, seeing all the candles and decorations, and just having the freedom to go from block to block, before the era of helicopter parenting (obviously we were about seven or eight before turned loose on our own). Our primary school also used to let us dress in costumes on the day and they'd often pile us all into the gymnasium to watch Walt Disney's the Headless Horseman and eat popcorn balls.

For parents, well, it's about the kids, right? Decorating the house, carving the pumpkin, handing out treats, baking, even dressing up. There's quite a few folks who have got the "I'm still a kid at heart" motto when it comes to the holiday and they do amazing haunted houses and host great parties.

People can cry "commercialization" of any holiday and they usually do. Easter cards. Plush bunnies. Christmas OTT craziness--the most overly commercial holiday of all. It's the spirit of it, right? The Hallowe'en before we moved away, my four year-old daughter and I were making little tissue ghosts to hang in our birch tree in the front yard. That was more meaningful that buying a string of lights from the shop and we remember the fun we had hanging them up and playing in the crunchy leaves afterwards.
Nooo...what is Halloween meant to 'celebrate'?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:32 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Good grief...we are all going to Hell!!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Nooo...what is Halloween meant to 'celebrate'?
The joy of being a child. Fantasy. The start of winter (in Canada anyway). Who really gives a crap what it's meant to "celebrate"? It's a day for kids to dress up and eat shedloads of sugar.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:25 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The joy of being a child. Fantasy. The start of winter (in Canada anyway). Who really gives a crap what it's meant to "celebrate"? It's a day for kids to dress up and eat shedloads of sugar.
well who gives a crap about Canada??? This is for expats in Australia!!

Maybe Ned Kelly Day might be more appropriate...kids can walk around with buckets on their head and eat raw dingo meat for treats!
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Ned Kelly Day might be more appropriate...kids can walk around with buckets on their head and eat raw dingo meat for treats!
I'd be all for that. Wild Boys is my new favourite show and has the hottest bushrangers, makes my day.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I would argue it has as much instrinsic celebratory value as Christmas or Easter (i.e. not much).

Aside from the touchy-feely friends and family get together guff.

Humbug.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, clearly you do or you wouldn't have quoted Japonica's post regarding the Canadian perspective on it. Oh, and the OP is in Canada asking whether Hallowe'en in Australia will be similar TO CANADA
Old Sep 28th 2011, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, clearly you do or you wouldn't have quoted Japonica's post regarding the Canadian perspective on it. Oh, and the OP is in Canada asking whether Hallowe'en in Australia will be similar TO CANADA
Yeah, not many points to paddyo for missing that little detail in the OP...

We currently live in Canada and are moving to Brisbane in a few weeks.
In Canada Halloween is a big deal. I just wondered if it was in Australia.
Wait for it...we're going to have some sage advice and a comparative analysis of Hallowe'en in the two countries from experts who have never been to Canada (perhaps aside from a two week jaunt through the Rockies, if we give them credit) and who couldn't be arsed about learning anything about other traditions or letting kids have fun. It's going to be scintillating...just wait...it goes like this...

Bah humbug.
well who gives a crap about Canada???
That was profound. I bet the OP appreciates the insight.

Last edited by Japonica; Sep 28th 2011 at 4:09 am.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a great time trick or treating in the "American area" of Singapore - whole streets are closed down and hundreds of kids are wandering around in fancy dress.

And I've learned something new, or maybe I was just woefully ignorant; it'd never occurred to me that Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Family of 3
We had a great time trick or treating in the "American area" of Singapore - whole streets are closed down and hundreds of kids are wandering around in fancy dress.

And I've learned something new, or maybe I was just woefully ignorant; it'd never occurred to me that Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving.
Yeah, but in October, not November. Nice long holiday weekend too with stat holiday.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:14 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Yeah, not many points to paddyo for missing that little detail in the OP...

Wait for it...we're going to have some sage advice and a comparative analysis of Hallowe'en in the two countries from experts who have never been to Canada (perhaps aside from a two week jaunt through the Rockies, if we give them credit) and who couldn't be arsed about learning anything about other traditions or letting kids have fun. It's going to be scintillating...just wait...it goes like this...

Bah humbug.

That was profound. I bet the OP appreciates the insight.
Actually it was 2 months in Canada.....but the post was in the Australia forum so its about caring whats IN Australia...not what was wisely left behind!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.