Halloween

Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Halloween

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My sister's two girls came racing in yesterday yelling "Dad theres someone at the door for you" When he had got up and gone to see who it was they calmly informed me it was a Jehovah's Witness. I asked why they hadn't just said "No thanks" and they told me that because their Dad had annoyed them the day before they thought it was only fair to condemn him to the doorstep for a while. They had also told the JW's that their dad always liked chatting to them about God :rofl; He reappeared 20 minutes later, muttering darkly

We lived just down the road from the 'Kingdom Hall Of The Jehovah's Witnesses' ... My Dad was working nights and they annoyed him once too often so he went up to the car park and bent all the windscreen wipers back.

It's one of my clearest memories from that time ...
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

from what i've heard from locals about it the responses to halloween by australians are usually one of the following:

1) "we dont want that stuipid american tradition"
2) children asking for sweets at your house is no better than begging

whingers.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

I love halloween !!! i always have a big fancy dress party decorate my whole house and garden and if i get trick or treaters the sweets are ready....only had 1 in 3 years though so dont lose alot of sweets

I buy my stuff from USA gets here faster than Oz online stuff...

I think it is better here as I can have a bigger party and the weather is better!!

Deb
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbieuk
I think it is better here as I can have a bigger party and the weather is better!!
heathen!!

part of the charm of Halloween is the celebration of the season change. The end of Autumn and the coming of winter. The quick one two hit of Halloween and Bonfire Night was one of my favourite times in teh UK, and the cold weather made it much better, in my opinion.

In the same way that the Chritsmas ambiance just isnt right without the cold, neither is Halloween.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
Kids in masks means trouble at your door in England anyway, usually if you tell them bugger off they egg your house or worse brick your windows later on.
I am glad in a lot of ways that it's not seen as a traditional thing here, same as the dreaded bonfire night (god i hated that month)
Apparently they used to have the equivalent of bonfire night here but it was called Rocket night. Then the killjoys banned the sale of fireworks to the general public so it just fizzled out....
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No. The one thing both my kids and the old man agree they miss is Hallowe'en.
What I miss the most is the decorated houses. Our old neighborhood in Canada was an older one (from the 50s), a mix of seniors, students, renters, blue collar workers, professionals, university staff, you name it, but most houses made some kind of effort--even if it was those garbage bag spiders, the toilet paper ghosts on trees to the ones who always went all out with floodlights, headless mannequins et al. I miss it.

We'll be putting decs out front, handing out candy, and carving the ubiquitous green pumpkin...
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:11 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Apparently they used to have the equivalent of bonfire night here but it was called Rocket night. Then the killjoys banned the sale of fireworks to the general public so it just fizzled out....
Banning the sale of fireworks to the public is fantastic for me, I can only imagine what the bogans around here would do, to say nothing of the bushfire risks.

If I wanna see rockets being fired I'm heading to these guys ...
http://www.qldrocketry.com/

16th October, I think I'll pop along.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
from what i've heard from locals about it the responses to halloween by australians are usually one of the following:

1) "we dont want that stuipid american tradition"
2) children asking for sweets at your house is no better than begging

whingers.
I love how they think it's an American tradition (I've heard that one before too)...er, not according to Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:24 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall Halloween being a big thing in England (I left in 1983, so maybe it's recent) and it certainly isn't big over here. We all dress up for Melbourne Cup day instead.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica

We'll be putting decs out front, handing out candy, and carving the ubiquitous green pumpkin...
We always had 'Neepy Lanterns' when we were little. Many a spoon was bent trying to dig out the insdes of a turnip for halloween And i got a sore belly eating the raw insides (seemed like a good idea at the time)
I think pumpkins would probably be a little bit easier to carve!

Halloween was always pretty popular in my corner of Scotland.Not seen much of it here in Melbourne except with other expats.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:33 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I don't recall Halloween being a big thing in England (I left in 1983, so maybe it's recent) and it certainly isn't big over here. We all dress up for Melbourne Cup day instead.
... Where everyone turns into a zombie by the end of the day ... In my experience
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
What I miss the most is the decorated houses. Our old neighborhood in Canada was an older one (from the 50s), a mix of seniors, students, renters, blue collar workers, professionals, university staff, you name it, but most houses made some kind of effort--even if it was those garbage bag spiders, the toilet paper ghosts on trees to the ones who always went all out with floodlights, headless mannequins et al. I miss it.

I wish I still had the photos of our house decorations. We used to do a real haunted house kind of thing complete with 6' skeleton partly buried under leaves. One year I had a trail of blood leading from the street up the driveway to the skeleton which had a big bloody knife sticking out. We used to have a CD of Vincent Price talking over music playing.

Actually, anything at this time of year makes me homesick. I love Thanksgiving (turkey would be my last meal), love apple picking and the leaves changing and the change in weather.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I wish I still had the photos of our house decorations. We used to do a real haunted house kind of thing complete with 6' skeleton partly buried under leaves. One year I had a trail of blood leading from the street up the driveway to the skeleton which had a big bloody knife sticking out. We used to have a CD of Vincent Price talking over music playing.

Actually, anything at this time of year makes me homesick. I love Thanksgiving (turkey would be my last meal), love apple picking and the leaves changing and the change in weather.
Awesome! Can't beat good ol' Vincent!

Back in my late teens/early 20s I was sharing an apartment with a friend in hairdressing college. We "borrowed" some of his mannequin heads, painted red around the necks, and stuck them on sticks all around my mom's house. That and a giant rubber tarantula on a string that would fall on the kids at the front door.

The neighbors up the road had the dry ice cauldron, light show, and the adults dressed up as well...and the spooky music.

As for Thanksgiving...I miss it as much as Christmas really. I was back in Canada at this time last year...eating Mac apples (no, not the computer for those of you not in the know), bison smokies, and real pumpkin pie (not the less than Aussie version that I have to make with Kent pumpkins).

Mmm...big turkey dinner washed down with Growers Cider...okay, now I'm homesick...
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

as much as I love halloween, i went to a halloween party a few years back and some petite girl came dressed as the chick from The Ring, Samara/Sadako.

I was genuinely freaked out and largely refused to speak to, or look at her.

what made it less freaky...but a bit more weird, was when I saw her later doing normal party stuff, like getting off with a bloke and shotgunning a can of beer - still dressed as the chick from the ring.

And also, what bloke actually gets off with the chick from The Ring!?!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:09 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by In Exile
as much as I love halloween, i went to a halloween party a few years back and some petite girl came dressed as the chick from The Ring, Samara/Sadako.

I was genuinely freaked out and largely refused to speak to, or look at her.

http://www.techdigest.tv/the-ring.jpg

what made it less freaky...but a bit more weird, was when I saw her later doing normal party stuff, like getting off with a bloke and shotgunning a can of beer - still dressed as the chick from the ring.

And also, what bloke actually gets off with the chick from The Ring!?!
An Ozzy Osbourne fan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.