Halloween.

Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Halloween.

My kids are totally devastated ! After having Halloween parties since they were born (and when I was a kid too ) it looks like this year we're not having one.As normal, I planned a Halloween party for all the local kids , invited them and have now been frowned upon and had my name questioned because I am daring to suggest we celebrate a "Pagan" festival ! Please tell me I'm just living in the wrong area ! Thats 2 big ones this year , Hogmany and now Halloween !
Was it only the village of the dammed that I came from in Scotland that party at these times or do other Uk folk have fun around these times too ?
I wasn't suggesting we go guising around the doors and I promised I wouldn't have any ritual sacrificing but , nobody's interested !
Sorry for the rant, am just pi##ed off. Quietest Halloween party ever ! Me and the kids.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:34 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Halloween.

Originally Posted by Tass
My kids are totally devastated ! After having Halloween parties since they were born (and when I was a kid too ) it looks like this year we're not having one.As normal, I planned a Halloween party for all the local kids , invited them and have now been frowned upon and had my name questioned because I am daring to suggest we celebrate a "Pagan" festival ! Please tell me I'm just living in the wrong area ! Thats 2 big ones this year , Hogmany and now Halloween !
Was it only the village of the dammed that I came from in Scotland that party at these times or do other Uk folk have fun around these times too ?
I wasn't suggesting we go guising around the doors and I promised I wouldn't have any ritual sacrificing but , nobody's interested !
Sorry for the rant, am just pi##ed off. Quietest Halloween party ever ! Me and the kids.
All the best,
Tass.
Tass

To be honest the true meaning of Christmas, Halloween etc seems to have gone by the by and has become another commerical tool.

Heck if the kids want to get dressed up and have a little bit of fun, let them I say, regardless of what others think.

We always have a huge family Bonfire Night here in the UK, does this make us people that are going to blow up the Houses of Parliament?

World gone mad eh
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:42 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

All the best,
Tass.
God I hope it is just where you live. My little girl and I have just come back from down the town, where we were getting supplies for Haloween, lots of good stuff in the shops this year (in Scotland), I used to get my sister who lives in the states to send us stuff, and we have always made it a big todo. My 14 year old has been planning her outfit for months, at 14 she still loves this innocent bit of fun.

It also stops them thinking about xmas too early

Next year I'll come to your party with the best bloody outfit I can find

Last edited by Margaret2; Oct 24th 2005 at 1:45 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:45 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

This will sound terrible but I have no idea what hogmany is And as for Halloween, they don't really celebrate it in Australia like they do in the UK and USA & I don't think many children will be out trick or treating. I say, you have a party for your children and don't worry about what others think.

If people don't 'celebrate' those occasions then that is their decision but there is no reason why your children can't still enjoy the occasion.

There are many things different in Australia, (as in England) and I have discovered so many things since being back here, that when I move to Australia again will no doubt not be so important in the social calander.

Have a good Halloween

Susan
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

It's the wrong time of year for pumkins and turnips that's the problem. So you'll have to use a melon.

Strangest thing for me is its only two weeks before bonfire night and I haven't heard any explosions from the street.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:50 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

you go aboot dressed up awe year. they must think your a witch ha ha ha
its just went mental pal
just have a party and make it fancy dress
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

As Elsha said, we don't celebrate it as much as the UK & the US do, but Im surprised that no one in your area is interested . My guess is its your area, we do have halloween stuff here in Brisbane (although no trick or treating in our particular area, but thats only because the houses are too far apart ).

This is whats on down at Manly (Brisbane) next Sat night

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whatson/e...s/1/75782.html

http://www.brisbane247.com/show_even...event_id=12313

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Oct 24th 2005 at 2:00 pm. Reason: typos!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:56 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

All the best,
Tass.
I would have to agree with the others......don't conform to what other's do and give your kids the halloween party they have every year, i'm sure the neighbours kids will be wanting to join in when they see what fun you have
Old Oct 24th 2005, 3:13 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best,
Tass.
Have a look at http://www.mystical-www.co.uk/time/novday.htm#5
http://www.mystical-www.co.uk/time/octday2.htm#31
http://www.holysmoke.org/wicca/festival.htm.

Most of these days we celebrate - including Christmas and Guy Fawkes' night - are more related to nature and the pagan celebration of the seasons/moon/sun. Does that make any pagans bad people? I know loads of pagans who are proud to be so and that's as it should be. After all, the UK was Celtic/Gaelic/Druid long before the Romans landed! I'm sorry you aren't going to have a great time this All Hallows' Eve, but if you're down Dorset way, I know of a couple of great parties that you would be welcome at. Alternatively I have several friends celebrating Samhain in Scotland...

I can understand people being disillusioned by "trick or treat" - it's a bad US import, imho - but I don't understand why anyone should be bothered by a genuine celebration of a recognised festival.

Sue
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

WHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really niceWHEEZY is just really nice

All the best,
Tass.
Hi Tass,

Know exactly how you feel, my kids have also had Halloween parties and enjoyed getting dressed up and playing pin the nose on the witch etc .... (unfortunately my MIL is still in the UK - only kidding!!) But here there just doesn't seem the enthusiasm for it. Although, and I don't know where abouts you are in Sydney or how old your kids are but at Mosman library they are having a Halloween fancy dress party on Monday at 3.45pm, and shall be taking my two there instead
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:09 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

We used to organise a party for the kids in the UK too, but apparently, as everyone else has said, it's not that big a deal here.

Paul.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:16 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Its your area - christian loons

As Mrs D said there is a big public halloween party near here. Complete with burning wicker effigies, sacrificing of newborn lambs, and the odd naked rampage through the streets.

At least that what I thought it was when Mrs D mentioned it, I hope we're not going to be disappointed. Im up for some lamb sacrificing and Ive paid my 5$ for a ticket.

I recall at our kids old school a similar response to a halloween party - another reason we wont be sending our kids to any 'christian' schools ever, ever, ever, ever again. Nutters. Dinosaur disbelievers. Perhaps we should stop having fireworks night because it celebrates an act of terrorism, or may-day bank holiday because that celebrates an act of paganism, but no... the christian loons in UK like their day off in may dont they... oh yes...
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
We used to organise a party for the kids in the UK too, but apparently, as everyone else has said, it's not that big a deal here.

Paul.
hi there,i think it is important to keep some traditions for you children.i think that you should still have aparty,surely your childrens oz friends must like aparty,maybe dont put so much emphasis on it being a halloween party,just introduce the games as you go along.when and if i move to perth i shall still continue to celebrate St.Patricks Day and if any one wants to join me for a few pints of they are very welcome.(yes i know it is expensive in oz but it is celebration.)xxx irishbloo
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:23 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ElshaUK]This will sound terrible but I have no idea what hogmany is

Hi Susan,

Hogmany is the scottish word for New Years Eve
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

All the best,
Tass.
My god, i did not realise it was nearly Halloween, none of the mums have mentioned it here, i have not even seen any thing up in school. Well we will have to do something. I will arrange something with my pomme mates. Thanks for reminding me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.