Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressing in aus

Hairdressing in aus

Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Beverley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdressing in aus

Hi my husband and i are thinking of emigrating to Australia (Perth) and i was wondering if anyone knows if NVQ level 2 in Hairdressing is recognised and would be valid for a General skills visa.

All this is so confusing it would be nice to hear from people who have managed to sort it out and also from people who are in the same boat as me.

We have tried some web sites but none of them seem to give you a straight answer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Beverley
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:56 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Hairdressing in aus

Hi Beverley,

Yes NVQ2 is fine, however, you do have to prove you have worked in the industry for a certain length of time...if you type in Hairdressing in the search box you can subscribe to that thread and you will be emailed each time theres a post. Lots of good advice on there and all just for us Hairdressers, so im sure you will get all the info you need. I have my NVQ2, and been told there screaming out for us, which is nice, however not worked in a salon for sometime, my husband is a Mechanic so have applied under his proffesion. Just waiting for meds to be requested!!!

Good luck.
Dawn x
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:59 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Hairdressing in aus

P.S. We also hoping to move to Perth......If all goes well we be off next June......Keep this website in your favourites, after many months of looking this site is just the best.....x Feel free to pm me if need to
Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:21 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressing in aus

Hi, I'm a hairdresser on the last lap- just awaiting the arrival of the visa!
I've got an NVQ2 in Hairdressing and passed TRA with no probs.
Marie
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Beverley1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Marie
Thanks for your replies as i have only just passed my NVQ2 i think i will have a long wait. Does anyone know how long you have to actually work at that level before they accept you?

We have tried going in on my husbands qualifications to but as he is in IT the demand is not so high, so we don't get enough points. I was wondering if you would know if it is possible to go out with my family on a temp working visa, and work full time for the amoutn of time required to be accepted permanently as a Hairdresser, but then a suppose that would be to easy.

Thanks again for all your replies

Beverley
Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

daisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nicedaisymoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Marie

Hi Marie, glad you passed no probs but could you give me a bit of info as i'm worried about tra more than anything, my employer has pretty much said write was is needed and she will sign it. I have nvq 2 but only for 3 years but worked for employer for 4years.
thanks, carol
Old Aug 6th 2005, 7:58 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beverley1
Thanks for your replies as i have only just passed my NVQ2 i think i will have a long wait. Does anyone know how long you have to actually work at that level before they accept you?

We have tried going in on my husbands qualifications to but as he is in IT the demand is not so high, so we don't get enough points. I was wondering if you would know if it is possible to go out with my family on a temp working visa, and work full time for the amoutn of time required to be accepted permanently as a Hairdresser, but then a suppose that would be to easy.

Thanks again for all your replies

Beverley
I believe it's 6 years experience that the TRA are looking for.

Rich & Lynn
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:12 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

I think but pleased dont quote me..that the time scale involved as they are so desparate is 4 years now...and this can include full time training...you will need to dig further I have been keeping an eye for a friend on the proceedures,but I am almost certain they changed the rules for hairdressers earlier this year........

best of luck

first port of call is really the TRA...send them a mail...I have a few times they reply pretty quick...
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

TRA are looking for 3 years if you have worked for someone and 6-7 years if it is your own busines to get a positive assessment. I know this all too well as I have been working towards getting Australia since Noah put the first nail in his arc. lol.

Go the TRA website all will be reveled. If not the sign like the rest of us cos they keep on changing the rules.
cheers
Lace
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:30 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Beverley1
Hi my husband and i are thinking of emigrating to Australia (Perth) and i was wondering if anyone knows if NVQ level 2 in Hairdressing is recognised and would be valid for a General skills visa.

All this is so confusing it would be nice to hear from people who have managed to sort it out and also from people who are in the same boat as me.

We have tried some web sites but none of them seem to give you a straight answer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Beverley
Hi afore ye go check out the average salary its crap same old crap wages for hairdressers thats why they are in demand because at $500.00 dollars a week with no tips no aussie would give you a xxxx for it.I dont want to put a downer on it for all you wanabee hairdressers but having lived here for sometime now i will be honest and tell you how it is.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jan
Hi afore ye go check out the average salary its crap same old crap wages for hairdressers thats why they are in demand because at $500.00 dollars a week with no tips no aussie would give you a xxxx for it.I dont want to put a downer on it for all you wanabee hairdressers but having lived here for sometime now i will be honest and tell you how it is.
I have a friend on the gold coast that does mobile and home hairdressing she make a good living from it
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:48 pm
jan
classy clipper

Originally Posted by nik04
I have a friend on the gold coast that does mobile and home hairdressing she make a good living from it
So ! Whats that got to do with my post in case you did not know i am on the other side of the country.Thats like me saying i earn ex in London and someone piping in.....my friend earns loads in spain! Out of interest though could you share with us how much she earns?
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jan
So ! Whats that got to do with my post in case you did not know i am on the other side of the country.Thats like me saying i earn ex in London and someone piping in.....my friend earns loads in spain! Out of interest though could you share with us how much she earns?
Just saying maybe you can earn more working for yourself instead of in a salon, just throwin in a few thoughts SOZ .$800 for a bad week. BTW u got any sticky tape to stick my head back on after bitin it orf
Old Aug 6th 2005, 11:19 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan
Most people are using hairdressing to get into australia. Is perth that different to brissie in wages? I suppose it depends on whether you want to work in A SALON, or work for yourself or open a salon. Posting your original comment may stop people maybe wanting to come, and although it may be realistic in your situation, others have the talent, business acumen and different ways to make money no matter which side of the country they are. Dont bother posting if you are bitter, as we can all make our own minds up when we get there and rash generalisations such as yours may put some people off wanting to be there.
alk

Last edited by alkristensen; Aug 6th 2005 at 11:21 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 11:54 pm
jan
classy clipper

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Most people are using hairdressing to get into australia. Is perth that different to brissie in wages? I suppose it depends on whether you want to work in A SALON, or work for yourself or open a salon. Posting your original comment may stop people maybe wanting to come, and although it may be realistic in your situation, others have the talent, business acumen and different ways to make money no matter which side of the country they are. Dont bother posting if you are bitter, as we can all make our own minds up when we get there and rash generalisations such as yours may put some people off wanting to be there.
alk
Wages are different depending on many factors but the median salary is poor for hairdressing.
I am sure my post wont stop people wishing to emigrate if so perhaps they should not go if they go by the opinion of someone who has made the move
and my friend its NOT my situation that IS the going rate for a hairdresser working for someone else.As for your comments as to others have the talent,business acumen,and different ways of making money.WHO THE FXXX ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME! I am far from bitter i live in a $800.000 home in hillarys no mortgage i own four properties back in the U.k. and a home in Northern France. I am very happy with my lot thank you i dont need an arogant little upstart like you telling me what i should and should not post if people dont like what they read fine thats thier perogative .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.