Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hairdressers working from home

Hairdressers working from home

Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

MichelleV will become famous soon enoughMichelleV will become famous soon enough
Default Hairdressers working from home

Hi everyone
Looking at going to Sydney next summer, Can anyone tell me, How easy is it to work from home/mobile or convert a garage into a workable place? what's needed to start your own business in OZ?
Any information would be great, there must be someone out there how's done it already.
michelle x
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:22 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressers working from home

Originally Posted by MichelleV
Hi everyone
Looking at going to Sydney next summer, Can anyone tell me, How easy is it to work from home/mobile or convert a garage into a workable place? what's needed to start your own business in OZ?
Any information would be great, there must be someone out there how's done it already.
michelle x
Hi Michelle

I cant give you any information sorry but just wanted to say that it seems to be the norm here for hairdressers to work from home - by converting a room or their garage etc. I very often drive past houses with Sandwich Boards outside advertising their Business.

Good luck

Rach xxxx
Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

MichelleV will become famous soon enoughMichelleV will become famous soon enough

Many thanks Mrs Jackaroo for your reply, at least i know it's not impossible, just need to find out HOW to go about it.

michellex
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:37 pm
tedeschicat

tedeschicat is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Hairdressers working from home

Can any one help please.. Could anyone tell me what are the requirements for a mobile hairdresser in Brisbane? I am a mobile hairdresser here in the UK and I would still like to do the same.. We: have activated our visa and still could not find any info out whilst we were there 3 weeks ago... Any advice would be great thank you
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tedeschicat
Can any one help please.. Could anyone tell me what are the requirements for a mobile hairdresser in Brisbane? I am a mobile hairdresser here in the UK and I would still like to do the same.. We: have activated our visa and still could not find any info out whilst we were there 3 weeks ago... Any advice would be great thank you
In Perth you simply have to approach your neighbours on each side of your residence; and also neighbours at the back and in front of your home. Get them to sign a Council or Shire letter of application indicating they don't have a problem with you running a business from home, submit same to Council or Shire with a payment of roughly $150 .......... then pray that they approve it.

I should imagine it's a very similar set-up in Brisbane too; least ways it was when we lived in Everton Park over there many years ago.

If you plan to put in an extra hand basin, other plumbing alterations or whatever, you usually have to submit a sketch of what your plans are and seek planning permission for same. That may cost you an extra hundred bucks or so on top of fee with your first letter.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:33 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bobcat
In Perth you simply have to approach your neighbours on each side of your residence; and also neighbours at the back and in front of your home. Get them to sign a Council or Shire letter of application indicating they don't have a problem with you running a business from home, submit same to Council or Shire with a payment of roughly $150 .......... then pray that they approve it.

I should imagine it's a very similar set-up in Brisbane too; least ways it was when we lived in Everton Park over there many years ago.

If you plan to put in an extra hand basin, other plumbing alterations or whatever, you usually have to submit a sketch of what your plans are and seek planning permission for same. That may cost you an extra hundred bucks or so on top of fee with your first letter.
I have just qualified as a Beauty therapist here in the UK and would like to do the same mobile/homebased when we move over but I was under the impression that you could not be self employed for a certain amount of time so I was going to get a job in a salon, is this not the case as I would sooner work for myself.
Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
I have just qualified as a Beauty therapist here in the UK and would like to do the same mobile/homebased when we move over but I was under the impression that you could not be self employed for a certain amount of time so I was going to get a job in a salon, is this not the case as I would sooner work for myself.
Thanks!
I wasn't aware there were time restrictions re you being self-employed; your visa conditions may clarify that.

Re self-employment from home here in Perth, there are different categories. I have worked from home for the last 12 months, at the moment I can't have a sign outside my home because of the category I chose to work under. I don't really need a sign as most of my work is repeat business or it's generated from our webpage.

I noticed yesterday when driving down Golf Links Drive there is a sign on a lamppost with a directional arrow pointing out a beauty parlour; and there is a sign outside the house. The lady running the beauty-Swiss massage parlour or whatever it is will have a different category Shire Approval than we have to work from home.

If you can become your own boss - go for it. Sure beats working for anyone else.

Good luck
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:37 am
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bobcat
I wasn't aware there were time restrictions re you being self-employed; your visa conditions may clarify that.

Re self-employment from home here in Perth, there are different categories. I have worked from home for the last 12 months, at the moment I can't have a sign outside my home because of the category I chose to work under. I don't really need a sign as most of my work is repeat business or it's generated from our webpage.

I noticed yesterday when driving down Golf Links Drive there is a sign on a lamppost with a directional arrow pointing out a beauty parlour; and there is a sign outside the house. The lady running the beauty-Swiss massage parlour or whatever it is will have a different category Shire Approval than we have to work from home.

If you can become your own boss - go for it. Sure beats working for anyone else.

Good luck
Thanks for that, it is a relief to know I may not have to work for anyone else and can pretty much choose my own hours.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi Lisa

I'm going to be doing the same as you when i get to Oz and I am under the impression there are no restrictions on being self employed from the outset. Where did you qualify??

Jane
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:27 am
Lisa

Originally Posted by aussiedreamer
Hi Lisa

I'm going to be doing the same as you when i get to Oz and I am under the impression there are no restrictions on being self employed from the outset. Where did you qualify??

Jane
Hi Jane
I attended South notts in West Bridgford.