Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is haggling really the norm in Melbourne?

Is haggling really the norm in Melbourne?

Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:29 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Is haggling really the norm in Melbourne?

I just came across a post in which it was claimed that haggling was normal in Melbourne. The context was with respect to purchasing white goods (fridges, washers, dryers, dishwashers, etc.) but I'm wondering just how pervasive haggling is in general?

What things is it considered normal to be able to haggle for and, conversely, what things would you definitely have no chance of haggling over the price?

- CDM
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:31 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice
Default Re: Is haggling really the norm in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by CDM
I just came across a post in which it was claimed that haggling was normal in Melbourne. The context was with respect to purchasing white goods (fridges, washers, dryers, dishwashers, etc.) but I'm wondering just how pervasive haggling is in general?

What things is it considered normal to be able to haggle for and, conversely, what things would you definitely have no chance of haggling over the price?

- CDM
you haggle for everthing in Oz...if you dont you pay full price for everthing which is inflated to allow for haggling.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Never haggle and never pay too much. We do our homework before we go out and find out where the cheapest of whatever we need is and then make a decision to buy. So much info on line and competition between the players that the prices are pretty competitive already.

Never buy anything that does not have a price on it.

For example the cash at The Good Guys is not really cash they give the same deal for using a credit card, also found that they always give a discount anyway after you have agreed to buy.

Depends whether you like haggling or not.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:41 pm
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by 4Margaret
Never haggle and never pay too much. We do our homework before we go out and find out where the cheapest of whatever we need is and then make a decision to buy. So much info on line and competition between the players that the prices are pretty competitive already.

Never buy anything that does not have a price on it.

For example the cash at The Good Guys is not really cash they give the same deal for using a credit card, also found that they always give a discount anyway after you have agreed to buy.

Depends whether you like haggling or not.

I find the cheapest and always get a bit more knocked off...never paid full price for anything except food and drink.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

BritishBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by earlswoody
I find the cheapest and always get a bit more knocked off...never paid full price for anything except food and drink.
I travelled to Melbourne a few years ago on holiday and I didn't haggle for anything and I didn't see anyone haggling for anything. So I dont think its that normal...
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BritishBunny
I travelled to Melbourne a few years ago on holiday and I didn't haggle for anything and I didn't see anyone haggling for anything. So I dont think its that normal...
Try it, they will always knock a bit more off.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

It really is normal, and totally epected. Just not loud and overt like you might see in some other countries (I'm thinking Egyptian Bazaar here)
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I haggle for most stuff and especially white goods and other big ticket stuff.

Yesterday I haggled on some ink cartridges.

You don't normally haggle in supermarkets, bottle shops, newsagents, etc...

As said above, it's not like an Egyptian Bazaar. If it's not appropriate then you just get a "no". Asking doesn't seem to generate any resentment so it's worth asking.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

I think haggling is maybe the wrong word. Don't ask don't get - might be more appropriate
We went to good guys. Got $100 off a TV, nothing off a fridge (bought at the same time). We ask if that is the best price and they look on a computer and tell you.

Went back couple of weeks later and TV was $100 cheaper so we said we wanted their price match (within 30 days). Went to a manager who said OK (assistant had said no). Also bought a DVD recorder at the same time. Asked for a discount and was surprised to get $50 off the sale price. Also bought a blender reduced in the sale and they knocked another $10 off that as well. These reductions were after we got the $100 off the TV (using the same assistant).

Bought bedside tables and tallboy, got $80 off and free delivery ($40) in one of those warehouse type places. That was a bit of 'haggling'. OH was saying we want the bedside, but not sure about tallboy. I think we got 3 price drops. Bought a computer chair at the same time and was turned down on any reduction.

OH always asks when buying electrical, white good and furniture. We have been flat refused in some places. You get a feel for when it might work. Just ask politely, then say you will just check out prices elsewhere if that is their lowest. They won't let you walk out the shop if there is more discount to be had.

Of course have some idea of comparable prices before hand. We got $200 off a washing machine. This was an advertised cashback from Harvey Normans, but price matched instead at good guys. Saved us the redemption hassle. No chance of further discount (but did ask).

Getting it all from once place saves on the delivery (and hassle) which varied between about $50 and $75 per load. Consider that when going elsewhere for a better discount.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely OK to do it for white goods, electricals etc.

My son had a holiday job as a salesman at Harvey Norman (computers) a couple of years ago. There was a fixed percentage that he could reduce most prices by, in order to get a sale. However, the less he reduced the price, the more commission he got.

I always ask for their 'best price for cash'. It's extremely rare that you'd get nothing off.

I've even done it with clothes - particularly if buying more than one item. I got a good discount when I bought a coat and jacket recently from a not-exactly-cheap boutique. This will only work in smaller places - don't try it in Target.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
This will only work in smaller places - don't try it in Target.
Shall I though - just for the hell of it They'll just look at me blankly, and mutter 'Flybuys'.....
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've just added to the thread mentioned Agree with "Don't ask, don't get". I usually ask for best price, I'm buying a few items so do me a good deal, I'm a faithful returning customer, etc.

edit: It's all a game, just as it is in the market in Turkey or wherever. They expect it, they allow for it. They don't starve.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyC
I always ask for their 'best price for cash'.
When I was buying an exercise machine I asked for the the that. When it was time to pay I asked "Do you seriously want me to pay cash?". "No, of course not" he said with a wry smile.

It's all part of the game. Never liked haggling in the UK as they sometimes made you feel like a skinflint. (Although that never stopped me haggling on white goods - just didn't feel good about it.)
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of days on holiday in a city you visited once doesn't really compare to the experiences of people who've lived there for many years though, does it? Everyone haggles here, it's not restricted to any area or city - it's just par for the course. No salesman expects you to pay the ticket price on a fridge or a car.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
When I was buying an exercise machine I asked for the the that. When it was time to pay I asked "Do you seriously want me to pay cash?". "No, of course not" he said with a wry smile.

It's all part of the game. Never liked haggling in the UK as they sometimes made you feel like a skinflint. (Although that never stopped me haggling on white goods - just didn't feel good about it.)
Totally. I love haggling. I used to do it in the UK and I do it here. Obviously you don't ask for 20c off your bananas in the IGA (although I wouldn't rule it out!), but anything over about $20 I always ask. I was in this surf shop in Bondi a couple of weeks ago and they were selling this officially branded SLSA clothing and I asked the bloke if I got a reduction because I was a surf lifesaver, and he gave me another 5% off the already 30% off price.

Don't ask, don't get.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We bought some appliances for our new kitchen recently (pyrotech oven, Steam oven, gas hob, extractor hood, dishwasher, wine fridge).

List price (in round figures) at Retravision - $11k
Went to Good Guys - $10k
Back to Retravision - $9k purchased on credit card, not cash.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.