Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Haggling for a new car

Haggling for a new car

Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:05 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Haggling for a new car

Can you haggle for a new car out here to the same extent you can a used one. If the Mazda 3 Maxx Sport is listed as a RRP of $27655 what hidden charges am I going to get stung with (dealer delivery, stamp duty (WA), rego) but how much might I be able to talk them down?
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:27 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haggling for a new car

Originally Posted by worzel
Can you haggle for a new car out here to the same extent you can a used one. If the Mazda 3 Maxx Sport is listed as a RRP of $27655 what hidden charges am I going to get stung with (dealer delivery, stamp duty (WA), rego) but how much might I be able to talk them down?
On 27665 - you would probably have 1495 delivery plus 3% stamp duty (875) plus 365 greenslip/ compulsory third party insurance plus 275 registration.

Drive out the door no more to pay - 30400

Now think all thess costs and haggle down - anything under 27500 on the road (all costs above included) is a good deal.

Haggle Haggle......this is from my hubby who spent two years in the new car trade here.

Good luck

Let me know if you have more questions
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:30 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Mazda are awful to negotiate with - I had cash and ended up walking out because they wouldnt reduce the price at all on a 3 - not one cent.

Toyota on the other hand will deal - dont ring them back, let them keep ringing you back - doing that I got 4K$ off a 20K$ car. Toyota often have factory discounts going too.

Plus ring several dealers and get them against each other just tell them exact spec - what you want - and whats the best price - want to buy this week or today even better... they'll bite your armoff.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:36 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

If you need help, ring my boss. She absolutely loves haggling and apparently is very good at it She got a Mazda 3 with about $3,500 off. I'm taking her with me next time I buy a car (and co-incidentally it might well be a Mazda 3 ).
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:38 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
If you need help, ring my boss. She absolutely loves haggling and apparently is very good at it She got a Mazda 3 with about $3,500 off. I'm taking her with me next time I buy a car (and co-incidentally it might well be a Mazda 3 ).
just proves all car salesmen are liars ;-) my one - at cleveland - flatly refused 'we never ever discount these' , I guess he'd made his numbers that month ;-).
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:39 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Mazda are awful to negotiate with - I had cash and ended up walking out because they wouldnt reduce the price at all on a 3 - not one cent.

Toyota on the other hand will deal - dont ring them back, let them keep ringing you back - doing that I got 4K$ off a 20K$ car. Toyota often have factory discounts going too.

Plus ring several dealers and get them against each other just tell them exact spec - what you want - and whats the best price - want to buy this week or today even better... they'll bite your armoff.
I noticed that the 2005 clearance ads for Mazda include most models but not the 3. It came very high in a few awards at the end of the year too so I guess they aren't having to try to hard to sell them at the moment.

My wife is trying to drag me off to John Hughes tomorrow to buy something around $15k but I have never had a new car before and really like the 3. With all those extra (thanks Sandra) and the 3 being a new-ish model looks like I will be settling for an old un again.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:40 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

just proves all car salesmen are liars ;-) my one - at cleveland - flatly refused 'we never ever discount these' , I guess he'd made his numbers that month ;-).
Sounds like it. I think she bought it new but don't quote me.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:42 am
ah-beng

I noticed that the 2005 clearance ads for Mazda include most models but not the 3. It came very high in a few awards at the end of the year too so I guess they aren't having to try to hard to sell them at the moment.

My wife is trying to drag me off to John Hughes tomorrow to buy something around $15k but I have never had a new car before and really like the 3. With all those extra (thanks Sandra) and the 3 being a new-ish model looks like I will be settling for an old un again.
15Kish gets you in a suzuki swift - they're sweet. Those 3's are nice though much better to drive than toyota corolla ascent which is what I was comparing it against but they're twice the price - so they should be...... Swifts are 15kish won lots of awards.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:44 am
What's happening dudes?

15Kish gets you in a suzuki swift - they're sweet. Those 3's are nice though much better to drive than toyota corolla ascent which is what I was comparing it against but they're twice the price - so they should be...... Swifts are 15kish won lots of awards.
The 3 is just a much nicer car than the Toyota and that's what you pay the extra for. I have an old 323 which, despite it's age, is a nice car. I have friends in the UK who have had several generations of 323 / 3 and swear by them.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:44 am
A former regular of BE

Its always easier haggling for the missus' car than mine. It bothers me more whether I get a deal than what car she ends up but when it is for me it is a different story.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:46 am
What's happening dudes?

Its always easier haggling for the missus' car than mine. It bothers me more whether I get a deal than what car she ends up but when it is for me it is a different story.
You see, when a bloke goes into a car lot, the salesman is rubbing his hands because he knows you want to drive out of there with a car there and then. When you have the missus, he's less enthusiastic because he knows she'll be the voice of reason and tell you if you can't get the deal you want, wait until tomorrow and go somewhere else.

True story.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:48 am
A former regular of BE

On the whole a car is just a box on wheels to me but it does have to look half-decent. I can't even picture the Swift but even the sportiest Corolla looks dull. I had a Focus in the UK - great car but I fancy a change. The Astra I had in the UK was boring. I fancy an Impreza but it needs to be a high spec one so is probably out of my range again.

Please don't let me end up with a 10 year old Falcon because they are so common!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:49 am
A former regular of BE

The 3 is just a much nicer car than the Toyota and that's what you pay the extra for. I have an old 323 which, despite it's age, is a nice car. I have friends in the UK who have had several generations of 323 / 3 and swear by them.
A 323 a couple of years old is a definite option. John Hughes even had a couple of sporty ones in their paper ad on Wednesday.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:53 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby spotted a Nissan Pathfinder at $12,700,managed to haggle the guy down to $10,500,even then with added bonuses! I was a bit wary at first but the jeep has been a good un,ran like a dream,for a year,until our guests had the use of it for two weeks then we had radiator probs ,all sorted now though,fingers crossed for another year !!

What u gotta lose? go...for...it...

Donna.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 11:55 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by madsad
What u gotta lose? go...for...it...
Exactly right. If they don't do you a deal, find a dealer who will. They all know that's how it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.