Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Haggis in Melbourne

Haggis in Melbourne

Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Haggis in Melbourne

I guess I really should know the answer to this. Does anyone know where I could buy a decent Haggis in Melbourne ?!

Honest it's delicious.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Haggis in Melbourne

I must have been very unlucky in my previous encounters with Haggis, as the few samples I've ever had, have been salty, and the texture left a lot to be desired, I had a terrible experience with a canned one once.

Not that I'm against putting things in my "North and South" that originate from Scotland. I'm quite partial to Kippers, Whisky, and Deep Fried Mars bars. In fact bonnie Maggie from Morton was quite moreish if I remember correctly. Hmmmm Kippers and Maggie ........
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:03 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I must have been very unlucky in my previous encounters with Haggis, as the few samples I've ever had, have been salty, and the texture left a lot to be desired, I had a terrible experience with a canned one once.

Not that I'm against putting things in my "North and South" that originate from Scotland. I'm quite partial to Kippers, Whisky, and Deep Fried Mars bars. In fact bonnie Maggie from Morton was quite moreish if I remember correctly. Hmmmm Kippers and Maggie ........
Hhhhhmmmm, you've never had my Dad's haggis then? He was the Scottish Haggis champion for quite a few years before he retired. His was really spicy and crumbly, not like that soggy mush you get in cans. I must say though, I NEVER EVER asked him what was in it, and he's under strict instructions never to tell me as I suspect I'd never eat it ever again.

Gill

Last edited by herrchook; Jan 10th 2006 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:04 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I guess I really should know the answer to this. Does anyone know where I could buy a decent Haggis in Melbourne ?!

Honest it's delicious.

Im coverin ma poor dugs ears lol
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:14 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Next to the IGA the Beaumaris Pantry had them last year... not tried them though so can't comment on quality. Hubby prattles on about Haggis and nips and square sausage from time to time but doesn't lose too much sleep about it.

You could ask there as you are at the Concourse at least once a week aren't you?

Hope you find them... now onto Holland's Steak pudding chips, mushy peas and gravy Mmmm......washed down with a pint of proper strongbow

Louise
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Auzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really niceAuzziebound is just really nice
Talking Re: Haggis in Melbourne

Honest it's delicious.
TO A HAGGIS and all that - A friend of mine is visiting Melbourne shortly (Leaves 18th Jan) and is bring haggis with him........ the burns supper will be held in north ringwood if you are near there!!! He is getting it vacuum packed... hope he gets it through customs!! Hope you find some locally
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:41 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auzziebound
TO A HAGGIS and all that - A friend of mine is visiting Melbourne shortly (Leaves 18th Jan) and is bring haggis with him........ the burns supper will be held in north ringwood if you are near there!!! He is getting it vacuum packed... hope he gets it through customs!! Hope you find some locally
IF we ever get visas and come to Melbourne, I promise to try and get some of Dad's stuff and we can have a haggis supper
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Next to the IGA the Beaumaris Pantry had them last year... not tried them though so can't comment on quality. Hubby prattles on about Haggis and nips and square sausage from time to time but doesn't lose too much sleep about it.

You could ask there as you are at the Concourse at least once a week aren't you?

Hope you find them... now onto Holland's Steak pudding chips, mushy peas and gravy Mmmm......washed down with a pint of proper strongbow

Louise
Kim informed me last night that the deli does take orders etc. I was in the dark. Seems I don't spend enough time at the concourse !

Planning a Burns Supper so need a few artery hardening food stuffs from back home ! Diet will have to wait a little longer.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Auzziebound
I wish him all the very best. My Mum got stopped with Jaffa Cakes - though they took sympathy on her and let her through. Let's just hope the sniffer dog has a cold.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:21 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by herrchook
Hhhhhmmmm, you've never had my Dad's haggis then? He was the Scottish Haggis champion for quite a few years before he retired. His was really spicy and crumbly, not like that soggy mush you get in cans. I must say though, I NEVER EVER asked him what was in it, and he's under strict instructions never to tell me as I suspect I'd never eat it ever again.

Gill
Just one recipe - enjoy!!!

1 cleaned Sheep or Lamb's Stomach Bag
900g (2lb). dry Oatmeal
600ml (1 pint) Stock
450g (1lb) chopped Mutton Suet
450g (1lb) Lamb's or Deer's Liver
Heart and Lights of the Sheep
1 large Onion
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt And Pepper
grating of Nutmeg
grating of Mace

Boil and mince the liver, heart and lights, chop the onion.
Toast the oatmeal slowly until it is crisp, then mix all the ingredients (except the stomach bag) together, and add the stock.
Fill the bag just over half full, press out the air, add the remaining mixture and sew up securely.
Place in a large pot of boiling water, prick the haggis all over with a large needle so it does not burst and boil slowly for 4 to 5 hours
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Haggis in Melbourne - FOUND IT !

I'm reliably informed by a couple of fellow Scots that Rob Boyle's Butcher shop in Lonsdale Street, Dandenong is the place for British foods, meats, sausages, black puddings and Haggis.

If you are in/near to Beaumaris the local deli there will order from Rob Boyles on your behalf.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:32 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'm reliably informed by a couple of fellow Scots that Rob Boyle's Butcher shop in Lonsdale Street, Dandenong is the place for British foods, meats, sausages, black puddings and Haggis.

If you are in/near to Beaumaris the local deli there will order from Rob Boyles on your behalf.

Yeah, Mrs B gets her tattie scones, black puddin & square sausage etc from Robs to.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bordy
Yeah, Mrs B gets her tattie scones, black puddin & square sausage etc from Robs to.
I'll get my coat
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Washed down with Tennants or Mckeown's ??
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Washed down with Tennants or Mckeown's ??
Actually a Murphy's would be great. Or Irn Bru !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.