Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Had to call the Fire Service last night...

Wikiposts

Had to call the Fire Service last night...

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough
Default Had to call the Fire Service last night...

Bored?! Not me.

Last night, cooking dinner, I could smell smoke. It's been cold, windy, rainy here in Perth so I thought it must be the neighbours' woodburners. The smell got worse and then the lights went out (trip switch), hubby went up in the loft and found it full of smoke and a large patch of burning insulation around the spot lights in our kitchen.

Hubby put out fire and tried to clear the insulation but the smoke was really bad, so as we have 2 small children we decided to get out and call the fire service, my first time calling 000 not 999!!! The fire dept. arrived in 10 minutes and were fantastic, they had the tiles off the roof (good thing it wasn't raining!), and cleaned all the burning material out, neighbours offered help etc.

So I call the insurance company today (GIO), and we're not covered for this type of damage !! They say it's an electrical fault so they will only cover for the plaster board, a patch to the ceiling but no electrical work, lights. If we'd left the house to burn down then we would be covered, insurance companies always find a way out.

Anyway, we're all OK, house still smells a bit.

Can anyone please tell me if we have to pay for the fire service call out? I don't want another bill on top of the electrician!!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Had to call the Fire Service last night...

Originally posted by Kath
Bored?! Not me.

Last night, cooking dinner, I could smell smoke. It's been cold, windy, rainy here in Perth so I thought it must be the neighbours' woodburners. The smell got worse and then the lights went out (trip switch), hubby went up in the loft and found it full of smoke and a large patch of burning insulation around the spot lights in our kitchen.

Hubby put out fire and tried to clear the insulation but the smoke was really bad, so as we have 2 small children we decided to get out and call the fire service, my first time calling 000 not 999!!! The fire dept. arrived in 10 minutes and were fantastic, they had the tiles off the roof (good thing it wasn't raining!), and cleaned all the burning material out, neighbours offered help etc.

So I call the insurance company today (GIO), and we're not covered for this type of damage !! They say it's an electrical fault so they will only cover for the plaster board, a patch to the ceiling but no electrical work, lights. If we'd left the house to burn down then we would be covered, insurance companies always find a way out.

Can anyone please tell me if we have to pay for the fire service call out? I don't want another bill on top of the electrician!!
Fire service if free as far as I know.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Thank you Dotty.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Had to call the Fire Service last night...

Originally posted by Kath
Bored?! Not me.

Glad the story had a good ending and you are all alrigh t
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Yeah glad you are all ok kath
Joanne xx
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:02 pm
WBB

yes, very lucky you got out.

could of been a lot worse.