gyproc

Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough
Default gyproc

Hi all
This may sound like a silly question to all you builders out there, but im converting a garage into a bedroom and and sticking some gyproc to the wall.
do you put plaster on gyproc???
Thanks all
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: gyproc

Originally Posted by samjam
Hi all
This may sound like a silly question to all you builders out there, but im converting a garage into a bedroom and and sticking some gyproc to the wall.
Thanks all
Short answer is yes ! If you use "taper edge" boards you can just tape and fill the joints and decorate directly onto the board but in most cases you would finish with a 3 to 5 mm skim
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windog
Short answer is yes ! If you use "taper edge" boards you can just tape and fill the joints and decorate directly onto the board but in most cases you would finish with a 3 to 5 mm skim

no one in vic skims plasterer boards. all tape and fill. paper tape is a lot better the fiber tape.

pics are me plastering my house
Attached Thumbnails gyproc-house1-016.jpg   gyproc-house1-008.jpg   gyproc-house1-005.jpg   gyproc-house1-013.jpg   gyproc-house1-011.jpg  

Last edited by robert cowan; Nov 16th 2006 at 8:13 am.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by samjam
Hi all
Thanks all
I assume it is single skin brickwork to the garage?

Direct stick to the brickwork is a waste of time, you need a stud wall.

The biggest issues are waterproofing (floor & the window sill/s) and preventing concealed termite access.

WW
Old Nov 16th 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robert cowan
no one in vic skims plasterer boards. all tape and fill. paper tape is a lot better the fiber tape.

Well I didn't know wether taper edge or sqare edge boards were more prevalent in Aus!

What I am intrigued by is that there appears to be no vertical joins in your pictures! How big is a sheet of plaster board in Aus? Over here thy are only 2.4 M X 1.2M!

Oops just seen youre house build thread... you obviosly know how big a sheet of p'board is over here!

Also intrigued as to the spacing on the studwork... it looks more like 600mm on the photo's?

Last edited by windog; Nov 16th 2006 at 3:01 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:09 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Never looked into this but anyway mate here comes the daft question.

How big are the boards out there? :scared: and 9mm? 12? 15? in general usage?

Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windog
Well I didn't know wether taper edge or sqare edge boards were taper edge in Aus!

What I am intrigued by is that there appears to be no vertical joins in your pictures! How big is a sheet of plaster board in Aus? Over here thy are only 2.4 M X 1.2M!

Oops just seen youre house build thread... you obviosly know how big a sheet of p'board is over here!

Also intrigued as to the spacing on the studwork... it looks more like 600mm on the photo's?
hi mate plaster sheet size 1200 x 2.4 to 1200 x 6000 yes 6 meters
1350 x 2.4 to 1350 x 6000
we have a unispan board that is for spanning 600 centres. taper edge are more commoncas we just tape and joint no skim in oz that i know of.
10mm thick.

Last edited by robert cowan; Nov 16th 2006 at 7:12 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough

hi mate plaster sheet size 1200 x 2.4 to 1200 x 6000 yes 6 meters
1350 x 2.4 to 1350 x 6000
we have a unispan board that is for spanning 600 centres. taper edge are more commoncas we just tape and joint no skim in oz that i know of.
10mm thick.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Might just try and paper over the joints then, that sound like the easy way!
So, i take it then once this is done you just paint over and thats that.
Also, i have a concrete floor in this room, would you just underlay and carpet or put some floorboards in and insulate the floor. I live in Canberra and is freezing in winter..
Thanks again